Movies: Avengers : Infinity War

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I never read the comics either. I kept up with Spiderman but, that was mostly through the daily newspaper comic strip. The other day I'm watching IW at home and I see Thanos at the end sitting on what appears to be Titan. I text my younger Cousin who I thought was really into these comics and asked him why Is Thanos on Titan and is he actually there and used the reality stone to recreate a reality he likes? Why didn't Thanos just use the time stone to back and fix Titan?

His response was it's just a stupid comic book movie and you are over thinking it.

The classic call out of the movie is that Thanos, instead of erasing half of life in the universe, could just have made infinite food. Problem solved an no one has to die.

In that respect, Thanos' quest to please Death (in the comics Thanos is in love with the incarnation of Death who is a lady. She tells him the universe is out of whack cause not enough people are dying so she asks him to wipe out half of life which is why he goes to get the stones and the gauntlet) has less logical holes in it.

So yeah, your cousin isn't that far off :laugh:

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I never read the comics but from what I had heard I really liked the idea of Thanos trying to please the God/Goddess of Death.

I love IW but I don't really feel like they ever accomplished their objective of making Thanos a relateable protagonist. They did a fair enough job as presenting him as not pure evil, but they never really justified his quest to eliminate half of all life. His speech about Titan didn't do it for me, and the scene where he throws Gamora off the cliff fell flat to me because the idea that he truly loves Gamora to the point that sacrificing her would emotionally devastate him just never resonated with me. He was an abusive monster killing one of his most long-suffering victims in order to get what he wanted......it really wasn't the emotionally complex situation the Russos tried to present it as.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I never read the comics either. I kept up with Spiderman but, that was mostly through the daily newspaper comic strip. The other day I'm watching IW at home and I see Thanos at the end sitting on what appears to be Titan. I text my younger Cousin who I thought was really into these comics and asked him why Is Thanos on Titan and is he actually there and used the reality stone to recreate a reality he likes? Why didn't Thanos just use the time stone to back and fix Titan?

His response was it's just a stupid comic book movie and you are over thinking it.

The time stone has limitations and huge consequences if used improperly. Thanos also wouldn't actually go back in time.

Time Stone

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The classic call out of the movie is that Thanos, instead of erasing half of life in the universe, could just have made infinite food. Problem solved an no one has to die.

In that respect, Thanos' quest to please Death (in the comics Thanos is in love with the incarnation of Death who is a lady. She tells him the universe is out of whack cause not enough people are dying so she asks him to wipe out half of life which is why he goes to get the stones and the gauntlet) has less logical holes in it.

So yeah, your cousin isn't that far off :laugh:

The precise issue was that there are more people alive now than there have died throughout history.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I never read the comics but from what I had heard I really liked the idea of Thanos trying to please the God/Goddess of Death.

It's a cool story but it would have been really hard to introduce Thanos and the Celestials (Death being one): it would have likely strained general audiences too much.

It did make for a cool moment when they go look for the soul stone in the movie, I thought they were going to introduce Death (when who turns out to be Red Skull appears). I thought "wow they are going to introduce Death now?! We're like halfway through this movie!!"

Then it was even more o_O :laugh:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
It's a cool story but it would have been really hard to introduce Thanos and the Celestials (Death being one): it would have likely strained general audiences too much.

It did make for a cool moment when they go look for the soul stone in the movie, I thought they were going to introduce Death (when who turns out to be Red Skull appears). I thought "wow they are going to introduce Death now?! We're like halfway through this movie!!"

I thought Hella was the Goddess of Death?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I thought Hella was the Goddess of Death?

Basically Marvel, in the comics, has Cosmic Entities who sort of act like the gods of everything and there's a whole bunch of them. One of them is called Death, she is the embodiement of the concept of Death as part of the balance in the universe: she's 100% neutral.

Hela is an Asgardian God, so she is a super powerful being but not on the level of a cosmic entity. Hela has wants and needs while Death does not.

And, that, is why they didn't do Death :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It didn't bother me that much but as an MCU only viewer with little to know knowledge of the comics the problem I had was personally he seemed to be a little to balanced an individual in contrast to his "Mad Titan" nickname. While you can understand his origin story you have to be a real madman to simply want to indiscriminately wipe out half the universe, like there's a real hole when you considering the Asgardians who were already just about destroyed yet the movie opens with him killing half of what survived from Hela's reign. Or actually if you didn't know what was going on it seemed like he simply killed all of them as he just blew up their ship and it gave no indication of survivers. But back to the point ignoring his goals he just came off as someone who should be a sympathetic villain the whole movie, with little signs of a madman.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Isn’t there supposed to be a bunch of extra footage with Thanos?

Are they going to release an extended edition?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Death, or Lady Death, is not a Celestial. "She" is a celestial being or an abstract entity, but not from the race of being called the Celestials. She has a counterpart who is Eternity, the creator and other abstract beings in Marvel's multiverse include Infinity, Oblivion and the Phoenix Force. They are basically siblings created when this multiverse was created after the implosion of the previous one. Galactus is also seen as a sibling to them as he was created from the ashes or the previous multiverse.

The top dog is the One-Above-All which is basically Stan Lee lol. It is the boss of the next most powerful being which is the Living Tribunal.

The Celestials are so powerful that they have been missing with humans on Earth since they came into existence creating the Eternals (including the deviants of which Thanos is one). They are said to also have created the X-gene that created mutants. Eternals is supposed to be a movie in the next phase of the MCU.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah I realized after the fact that I got the Celestials and the Cosmic Entities mixed up.

And the Living Tribunal is dead is it not? They did not get rid of all the Cosmic Entities when they did that Secret Wars reboot/notareboot thing in 2015?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It didn't bother me that much but as an MCU only viewer with little to know knowledge of the comics the problem I had was personally he seemed to be a little to balanced an individual in contrast to his "Mad Titan" nickname. While you can understand his origin story you have to be a real madman to simply want to indiscriminately wipe out half the universe, like there's a real hole when you considering the Asgardians who were already just about destroyed yet the movie opens with him killing half of what survived from Hela's reign. Or actually if you didn't know what was going on it seemed like he simply killed all of them as he just blew up their ship and it gave no indication of survivers. But back to the point ignoring his goals he just came off as someone who should be a sympathetic villain the whole movie, with little signs of a madman.
When he snapped - did any Asgardians get disappeared? How about any people from Gamora's homeworld (who he already killed half of)?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

But his goal is why he is mad, I'm not sure you can "ignore his goal" when his goal defines his character so much (in this movie)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
When he snapped - did any Asgardians get disappeared? How about any people from Gamora's homeworld (who he already killed half of)?

Half of everything died. Even plants according to the Marvel bosses (which is another indictment of Thanos' plan: reduce half the population but also half the food! The ratio remains the same, good job!)

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Half of everything died. Even plants according to the Marvel bosses (which is another indictment of Thanos' plan: reduce half the population but also half the food! The ratio remains the same, good job!)
But my thing is he already killed half of the Asgardians when he hit their ship. Did he do it again? That doesn't seem fair.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah I realized after the fact that I got the Celestials and the Cosmic Entities mixed up.

And the Living Tribunal is dead is it not? They did not get rid of all the Cosmic Entities when they did that Secret Wars reboot/notareboot thing in 2015?
As part of the One-Above-All bringing reality back when asked by Thanos and Adam Warlock, Warlock (not from earth 616 but one of the other ones) had to agree to become the new Living Tribunal, unless I missed something after.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As part of the One-Above-All bringing reality back when asked by Thanos and Adam Warlock, Warlock (not from earth 616 but one of the other ones) had to agree to become the new Living Tribunal, unless I missed something after.

Well that's lame.

I don't really know what happens after Secret Wars but seeing how they concluded everything with a very soft reboot (just no more Fantastic 4 ha!) I essentially gave up on Marvel Comics for a bit. All that build up for what amounted to very little was a bit too much for my tastes.

Although having Dr Doom become Iron Man is very cool, Iron Man with a badass cloak? Yes please.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Basically Marvel, in the comics, has Cosmic Entities who sort of act like the gods of everything and there's a whole bunch of them. One of them is called Death, she is the embodiement of the concept of Death as part of the balance in the universe: she's 100% neutral.

Hela is an Asgardian God, so she is a super powerful being but not on the level of a cosmic entity. Hela has wants and needs while Death does not.

And, that, is why they didn't do Death :laugh:
Gotcha. Thank you for explaining that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It'd be pretty funny if all the deaths were distributed unequally throughout the universe and whole civilizations were wiped out while others remained but had the same limited resources.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The MCU has been very careful to try and balance the cosmic/magical stuff with a real-world near-future foundation.

It'll be interesting to see if they fight to retain that as going too far afield might alienate a big portion of the audience.

Like my wife, for example.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
In general, the more 'cosmic' superheroes get the less interested in them I am. Its why I always preferred Batman and Spider-Man over the likes of Superman and Thor.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad