Movies: Avengers 4 - Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This movie is likely going to tie together 21 previous movies. Yes, the idea was that there would be more of a focus on the original Avengers, but that doesn’t mean the story won’t have multiple moving pieces. I mean, several of the characters still have to make their way “back to the group,” including Stark, Nebula, Antman, Hawkeye. And they have to catch up on Captain Marvel. There’s still some loose ends to tie up before we even start digging into the “what’s next” part.

They have to get over their mourning, get every one together, come up with a plan, defeat Thanos most likely, time travel, get everyone back... and then probably have to come together to defeat Thanos again. Or some variation of that.

I mean, I could be way off on that, but I’m guessing the story won’t be as simple as them getting the team back together, defeating Thanos, and boom it’s all normal again.
Hmm.. That explanation makes more sense to me than the other one, IMO. If a good chunk of the movie is spent gathering the characters who are left and dealing with motivations/aftermath and what-not before even thinking of engaging, then that might justify it. I was under the impression that most of them were already pretty connected and it was just a matter of figuring out how to resolve the main conflict (that part, I would be surprised if it needs three hours and would be skeptical if it was).

Again, I hope it doesn't get too convoluted/bloated, though, with time traveling, fighting Thanos and then fighting him again with a bigger resurrected group. Seems like that would cheapen it. Keep it tight.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Infinity War felt like a bunch of separate stories about conflicts taking place on multiple fronts, spread out across the universe, involving multiple groups of properties that are each doing their own thing, with their own specific tone, and how it all weaves in and out of each other into an eventual moment where it all comes together. In that one, pretty much every separated gem was its own story. It kind of makes more sense to me that that would require extra time than something like this.

Uh. You don't think there's multiple story threads to tie up? Characters who need resolutions? Dealing with the aftermath of IW to give the movie proper dramatic weight? Infinity War gets its strength from everything you just mentioned here and you expect the finale to have the emotional and narrative weight of the original Avengers? To just be a dumb fun action flick?

Again. This is a send off to an 11 year, 21 movie cinematic endeavor with many character threads coming to a head. They're gonna go big.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Uh. You don't think there's multiple story threads to tie up? Characters who need resolutions? Dealing with the aftermath of IW to give the movie proper dramatic weight? Infinity War gets its strength from everything you just mentioned here and you expect the finale to have the emotional and narrative weight of the original Avengers? To just be a dumb fun action flick?

Again. This is a send off to an 11 year, 21 movie cinematic endeavor with many character threads coming to a head. They're gonna go big.
I'm kind of expecting the narrative events to eat up the bulk of the time, not the themes/tertiary story threads/character resolutions (which don't seem big enough to warrant extensively ironing out, beyond a few minutes here and there). They'll probably focus on one big thematic idea and just briefly touch on other tidbits as satisfying nods (like they've been doing throughout the franchise)-- I'm not expecting them to EXTENSIVELY iron out things like Iron Man/Captain America's philosophical differences beyond those kinds of brief moments, for example. Narratively, everything seems concentrated enough on a practical level that even if you tell a story with emotional and narrative weight, I wouldn't really expect that to add up to three hours, personally. Whereas with Infinity War, I can at least see the argument that there's just too many completely separate things going on in different places to feasibly tell in a short amount of time without feeling rushed.

Again, I'm not saying it COULDN'T warrant it depending on what direction they go in (which I agree, could be anything), but based on the setup, what we can currently expect, and what we think is necessary, I don't really see the evidence/expectation of it, at least not enough that two hours would be seen as questionable or too short.

I'm not sure I agree that how long of a cinematic endeavor something has built up to means that it demands to have a longer runtime to be properly resolved anyways. Something can be tight, economical, and satisfyingly concluded without being a dumb fun action flick. It seems like a bit of an exaggeration to begin with anyways, because traditionally, big dumb action flicks without any weight aren't ideally two-hour movies anyways, they're way less than that.

I especially don't think that's the case if that increased time is spent on extra jam-packed content rather than on slowing down the actual pace (I think that could arguably add more weight to something, but if I'm not mistaken, that doesn't seem to be the argument/expectation).

But that's just my impression. It could work, but three hours seems like a long time even for things that have a very slow pace. I can think of exceptions, but even with the Lord of the Rings movies, I don't think of them as examples of necessary three hour movies. I would also say that hypothetically, I don't think that Godfather 3 necessarily demands to be any longer than the first two movies simply because it's the conclusion/resolution to something really big, personally.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Avengers: Endgame tickets are now on sale online

Sites being bombarded all over :rant:

AvengersEndgame_BillboardMERCH-1182x250_NEW_1182_250_81_s_c1.jpg

Offered locally

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Got my ticket for 10pm on Thursday the 24th! Theatre was almost sold out! :phew:

That new trailer is hype! And I ADORE that new, more classic looking Iron Man suit. That shit is perfect!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Saw some people have theatres doing an Infinity War/End Game double feature that Thursday. Guess I will have to settle for watching IW at home before heading out to the theatre.

Bah gahd that trailer was good!
The whole crew flying in the Milano to meet Thanos looks so awesome!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Finally hear from Thanos

Interesting to see the end of it too

That was a good trailer, but gives more than I thought we'd get. You have the Tony-Cap moment there that feels fairly pivotal (given they didn't interact since Civil War) and showing Thanos. Neither are surprising, and probably both happen in the first hour, but I thought this would be locked down more.

I tried checking seats on Cineplex app, and I'm getting loading errors. Interesting timing on ticket sales. It's later than usual for them to start online sales, and seems to coincide with being a few days before Shazam.

Reactions: irunthepeg

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
That was a good trailer, but gives more than I thought we'd get. You have the Tony-Cap moment there that feels fairly pivotal (given they didn't interact since Civil War) and showing Thanos. Neither are surprising, and probably both happen in the first hour, but I thought this would be locked down more.

I tried checking seats on Cineplex app, and I'm getting loading errors. Interesting timing on ticket sales. It's later than usual for them to start online sales, and seems to coincide with being a few days before Shazam.

I feel like we’re being mislead with that Cap-Stark scene. Either it involves some kind of time travel and isn’t the true make-up moment, or it’s fake all together. Something just tells me there more to it than what the trailer shows.

Sep 19, 2008
NOOOOOOO! They're Thursday the 25th!!!!!

But there were no earlier options!!?! Only the 25th at 6 pm and at 10 pm.

Usually these movies start at 7 (saw Captain Marvel at 7) but because of the long air time (3 hours) they probably moved it to 6.

They're also showing the movie Friday in the morning too, at least here. I figured I might as well sit in the back in the local theater here that has the recliners at 6 on a Thursday. No drinking at all :laugh:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That's because only us better people in Europe get it on the 24th. :naughty:

Not us.

Usually these movies start at 7 (saw Captain Marvel at 7) but because of the long air time (3 hours) they probably moved it to 6.

They're also showing the movie Friday in the morning too, at least here. I figured I might as well sit in the back in the local theater here that has the recliners at 6 on a Thursday. No drinking at all :laugh:

Im gonna book the next morning off. When I get back from the theatre at like 2 am I am gonna have to spend at least another hour online nerding the f*** out.

edit: glad I didn't try to get tickets with the gift card I have for Cineplex. Their shits crashed.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not us.

Im gonna book the next morning off. When I get back from the theatre at like 2 am I am gonna have to spend at least another hour online nerding the **** out.

edit: glad I didn't try to get tickets with the gift card I have for Cineplex. Their ****s crashed.

When the only nationwide theater chain here puts the tickets on sale, I'll probably have to again try to reserve a ticket for a 3D showing because the 2D ones don't become available until about a week earlier, just like with Captrain Marvel. If my local theater gets this one release date, I'll probably skip out on the trip to Turku though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad