Movies: Avengers 4 - Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's the culmination of eleven years of movies. Many movies. Each Lord of the Rings movie was 3 hours long. I think the final chapter in an eleven year pop culture phenomenon can stand to have an extra hour of movie to have a proper conclusion.
Hard to compare the two when the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was adapting a specific set of books (and with the amount of content to adapt it was pretty obvious why the movies were all so long (not even mentioning the fact there were countless hours of content cut from the theatrical release).

I am perhaps the wrong person to appeal to anyway (I don't think these movies are all that amazing and only have a handful that I particularly like), but I think even with the amount of characters they should easily be able to provide a satisfactory and meaningful beginning, middle, and end for this movie in the span of two hours or so.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Hard to compare the two when the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was adapting a specific set of books (and with the amount of content to adapt it was pretty obvious why the movies were all so long (not even mentioning the fact there were countless hours of content cut from the theatrical release).

I am perhaps the wrong person to appeal to anyway (I don't think these movies are all that amazing and only have a handful that I particularly like), but I think even with the amount of characters they should easily be able to provide a satisfactory and meaningful beginning, middle, and end for this movie in the span of two hours or so.

2rhobr.png

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I would have been really disappointed if they tried to do this movie in 2 hours lol.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, it’s literally the culmination of 21 movies and 10+ years. I think a vast majority of people who have followed and enjoyed these over the years are fine with that amount of time. I mean, the 2.5 hour Infinity War seemed to fly by, so I see no reason a 3-hour finale should be an issue.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

In fairness we don't know what the whole story entails.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What exactly are you guys expecting to happen in this that is going to ideally need three whole hours to tell? Isn't it basically just the half-dozen remaining original Avengers against Thanos? I would have expected the story to likely become significantly simpler/easier to juggle and the amount of content that needs to be crammed into this would be smaller than Infinity War had (which isn't a bad thing).

Not saying it can't justify needing 3 hours, but responding to criticisms about that with "I'd be upset if it were just 2 hours" sounds bizarre to me.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What exactly are you guys expecting to happen in this that is going to ideally need three whole hours to tell? Isn't it basically just the half-dozen remaining original Avengers against Thanos? I would have expected the story to likely become significantly simpler/easier to juggle and the amount of content that needs to be crammed into this would be smaller than Infinity War had (which isn't a bad thing).

Not saying it can't justify needing 3 hours, but responding to criticisms about that with "I'd be upset if it were just 2 hours" sounds bizarre to me.

1. its figuring out a way to reverse teh snap
2. going and actually reversing the snap
3. fighting and finally defeating Thanos, teh biggest villain in the MCU that has been set up for 21 movies

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'd prefer a shorter movie, but will judge it on its merits if it's worthy of that type of run time. The bigger issue last time was that they did have to rush through a lot of things, so adding an extra 20 minutes doesn't seem unreasonable.

That said, my one concern on the running time is whether it made sense to limit to 2 movies to tell this story, or would it be better to tell it across three films, but they chose the former, as there would be challenges in deeming it as 3 separate films due to the wording of the contracts. RDJ makes a ton per film as his initial contract didn't foresee the franchise building this far out. Chris Evans has made comments that he wasn't interested in staying on beyond his contract.

It seems silly to cite cost concerns for a film that will likely gross $2B worldwide, but the salary discipline is a core part of Marvel's operations at this point.

Sep 19, 2008
Does that really sound like three hours worth of content to you?

Yes. I don't see the issue here.

Any movie could be shortened to 1 or 1:30. Or even less. This is one of the biggest endings to a phase out there. 3 hours is worthy. Plus, how long did IW go?

IW was 2 hours and 40 minutes.

This is 20 minutes longer, plus a few minutes.

Again, what's the big deal.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

I’m guessing it’ll end up being a lot more complicated than “just the half dozen remaining avengers against Thanos.” Maybe I’ll be wrong - but I doubt it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I mean, you could make that argument about any movie, no?

Infinity War is “just” about Thanos finding the infinity stones and snapping his fingers.

There, that doesn’t seem like it needs 2 hours and 40 minutes, does it?

But it did.
I don't think that's true. From the way things are set up and from BigBadBruins7708 expectation, it sounds like a much more tight, simple, focused, centralized, and cohesive narrative structure to me rather than something that might become sprawling, convoluted, and needing to be juggled.

Infinity War felt like a bunch of separate stories about conflicts taking place on multiple fronts, spread out across the universe, involving multiple groups of properties that are each doing their own thing, with their own specific tone, and how it all weaves in and out of each other into an eventual moment where it all comes together. In that one, pretty much every separated gem was its own story. It kind of makes more sense to me that that would require extra time than something like this.

I suppose they could make it more convoluted than expected/needed, and then that would be the case, sure. What I actually liked and found promising about the setup to this movie was that it seemed like the snap was designed to make everything about the upcoming conclusion more stream-lined, direct, centralized, and focused. (It's this one OG group remaining, that used to be the classic team, up against one guy, who has all the gems in one place) But if it's three hours, that might not be the case.

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't think that's true. From the way things are set up and from BigBadBruins7708 expectation, it sounds like a much more tight, simple, focused, and cohesive narrative structure to me rather than something that might become sprawling, convoluted, and needing to be juggled.

Infinity War felt like a bunch of separate stories about conflicts taking place on multiple fronts, spread out across the universe, involving multiple groups of properties that are each doing their own thing, with their own specific tone, and how it all weaves in and out of each other into an eventual moment where it all comes together. It kind of makes more sense to me that that would require extra time than something like this.

I suppose they could make it more convoluted than it seems like it will be, and then that would be the case, sure. What I actually liked and found promising about the setup to this movie was that it seemed like the snap was designed to make everything about the upcoming conclusion more stream-lined. But if it's three hours, that might not be the case.

This movie is likely going to tie together 21 previous movies. Yes, the idea was that there would be more of a focus on the original Avengers, but that doesn’t mean the story won’t have multiple moving pieces. I mean, several of the characters still have to make their way “back to the group,” including Stark, Nebula, Antman, Hawkeye. And they have to catch up on Captain Marvel. There’s still some loose ends to tie up before we even start digging into the “what’s next” part.

They have to get over their mourning, get every one together, come up with a plan, defeat Thanos most likely, time travel, get everyone back... and then probably have to come together to defeat Thanos again. Or some variation of that.

I mean, I could be way off on that, but I’m guessing the story won’t be as simple as them getting the team back together, defeating Thanos, and boom it’s all normal again.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
easily.

did The Godfather really need 3 hours to tell the story of "old guy dies, son takes over his business"
That has a lot more to do with the slow, reserved, and thought-provoking pace that those more serious movies are told at, though. Is that what we're expecting that this will be?

Hey, if they boldly take this in that direction and slow everything down to bask in the moments, I agree with you, and I think that might be interesting (although it might piss off most Marvel fans). But that doesn't really seem likely to me.

If it's the normal frenetic pace that these MCU movies usually go at but puffed up to 3 hours, with just those handful of primary beats, I don't see that as comparable to something like Godfather.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
No one really knows where this story may go. It does seem simple from this end, but I think I'd feel disappointed if the movie was just a simple saddle up and defeat the bad guy.

Youre likely seeing the end of many of these characters, and each should have a unique story arc. I'd also say that characters that were "snapped" may still play a prominent role.

I personally just want a compelling story, but I recognize that many fans may be looking for very specific things out of this, especially as it's the end of the line for many characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad