LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Doing a rewatch of this with it on netflix. This was one of my favorite shows growing up and I recently finished my last show so I figured might as well. Who else is watching?

One thing I missed the first time around is how quickly they set up the white lotus stuff. It's mentioned in the very first episode and Iroh talks about it quite a bit. Another thing I've noticed is that the show takes a much more serious turn after the North Pole finale. The first book does a good job of setting up the world and characters and then the second one comes in and it's like the whole world is much more serious.

I'm only about halfway through book 2 now but I'll likely be done within a week or so. Really looking forward to the third season with the fire nation as my memory there is pretty spotty outside of the ending. I think I might've missed some episodes when I originally watched it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's fantastic. Even the earlier, more playful and child-like episodes seem significantly stronger than I remembered thinking they were at the time.

That stretch between losing and finding Appa in Book 2 is probably my favorite thing about the show.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Finished binging it a couple days ago and it was the first time I had rewatched the whole series since I was in middle school. There were so many stories and so many little things that I loved about the show that I had forgotten about. Really special show and I don't know anyone who watched the show who didn't like it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm re-watching it now, still in book 1. This is one of the examples that quality work can be done with a target audience that is still kids, which is why I hate that argument as an excuse for poor quality.

And I was today years old when I learned that Dave Filoni worked on this show, was a director in book 1. I never actually looked at what he did prior to Star Wars. Not a surprise that I liked both the shows, and I was probably a bit outside of their target when they originally started.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It's fantastic. Even the earlier, more playful and child-like episodes seem significantly stronger than I remembered thinking they were at the time.

That stretch between losing and finding Appa in Book 2 is probably my favorite thing about the show.

Im in this stretch now. Definitely enjoying it. I like how it’s a bit more linear with the story since they have to show them traveling everywhere by foot.

It’s also where Zuko’s development really starts to increase. Not that he wasn’t changing before, but you can see him coming to a critical point now.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I get the gist that a 32 year old man who isn't really into cartoons would like this show? What makes it so special? (without giving away spoilers, obviously)

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
One of my daughter's favourite shows growing up.

I honestly can't ever remember seeing her madder than she was after coming back from watching the movie Shyamalamadingdong made of it.
The preview had people so excited but the execution was worse than I thought possible. Nothing like mispronouncing the main characters name to make kids growl.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I get the gist that a 32 year old man who isn't really into cartoons would like this show? What makes it so special? (without giving away spoilers, obviously)

The plot is extremely well thought out. Things generally aren’t just shoehorned in to change things. The world is really well established. Pretty much every character gets a lot of development. The humor can be childish at times but it also has numerous moments where it’s legitimately funny. It’s just a very well made show that I see holding up for a long time.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The preview had people so excited but the execution was worse than I thought possible. Nothing like mispronouncing the main characters name to make kids growl.

Fire benders couldn’t make fire. The acting was some of the worst I’ve ever seen. The bending looked awful. All the main characters were white washed. I really don’t think anything about that movie was good.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a better written and more creatively inspired show than most critically acclaimed dramas that people go nuts about (including stuff like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones), in my opinion. The world building is fantasic, its respect for influences is very charming, characters are clearly defined and bounce off each other in fun ways, and everything's surprisingly tastefully executed, thematically purposeful, and well thought out. The tone is very child-like, fun, and light-hearted in general (so it still deceptively feels like a kids show, and doesn't cynically present itself as if that's beneath it, despite occasionally hitting more serious notes), so people who narrow-mindedly dismiss shows with that tone without any further consideration might not give it a chance, though.

Honestly, anything that's easily dismissable can be repurposed in interesting and worthwhile ways if the right amount of love and care is put into it. Most children's cartoons are dismissable because they're badly done and have lame intentions, not because there's anything intrinsically lacking in the format. Best not to get stuck on that type of generalizing mindset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sugar Domi

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Just watched the beach episode. Don’t really remember this one so it might’ve been one I missed. The bonfire scene at the end with them all attacking each other and explaining their pasts really added a lot to each character imo.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Finished up the final season last night. Maybe I just had crazy high expectations, but the finale was kind of disappointing to me. I remember it being better. I wish we would've gotten a full episode (at once or in pieces) of the Ba Sing Se fight with the White Lotus Order. I also wish Zuko would've actually have gotten to beat Azula rather than Katara finishing it.

Still a great finale I just remember it being better. Can't complain too much though, overall a fantastic series obviously.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

I watched it for the first time around 35 years of age. I only wished I had children I could have watched it with. Great show. I don't know what I could say to sell it to you but for me it was the characters, the story, the world building. It's damn near perfect.

BTW I'm not a big fan of anime, mangas, or cartoons in general. I liked the simpsons and south park. Never really got into more obscure stuff. I mean if you like the incredibles... how to train your dragon... if you can get into the medium.. avatar the last airbinder is a must watch. I also really liked the follow up Korra but not nearly as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Rewatched it all the way through in about a week. A gold standard for animated shows that the States haven't even come close to replicating since.

My only gripe is that the story as written made for a more rushed pacing situation with the show's final act. Having Aang need to defeat Ozai in under a year still allowed for many fantastic stories but I do feel the ramp up to the final conflict could have been fleshed out more and this was absolutely a narrative universe that could have been 5 rather than 3 seasons. Not that the wider narrative was barren of substance but this is a rare show that could have explored the war even deeper if it wanted to. It doesn't suffer much by choosing not to do so. The only other complaint I have is there were some episodes where Katara was just out of character stupid that felt like a disservice to the character, but it doesn't happen enough that it's a huge problem.

For the kind of show it is, it's a masterpiece. Definitely gonna rewatch it again soon.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Rewatched it all the way through in about a week. A gold standard for animated shows that the States haven't even come close to replicating since.

My only gripe is that the story as written made for a more rushed pacing situation with the show's final act. Having Aang need to defeat Ozai in under a year still allowed for many fantastic stories but I do feel the ramp up to the final conflict could have been fleshed out more and this was absolutely a narrative universe that could have been 5 rather than 3 seasons. Not that the wider narrative was barren of substance but this is a rare show that could have explored the war even deeper if it wanted to. It doesn't suffer much by choosing not to do so. The only other complaint I have is there were some episodes where Katara was just out of character stupid that felt like a disservice to the character, but it doesn't happen enough that it's a huge problem.

For the kind of show it is, it's a masterpiece. Definitely gonna rewatch it again soon.
Yeah, my only gripe would be that there are a good chunk of episodes where both Sokka and Katara (not just one or the other) seem to take turns alternatively switching back and forth between wise voice of reason and completely irrational idiot (for the sake of getting across the lesson being communicated in any given episode) that can feel pretty forced and not totally believable.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Katara acted as the mom too much lol.
I didn't mind that at all. It's entirely in line with the fact that she and Sokka lost their mother at a young age. Sure at times it could be a little annoying but that's how mothers can be.

There were just a few episodes where it seemed like her IQ and skepticism just plummeted for plot purposes.

Yeah, my only gripe would be that there are a good chunk of episodes where both Sokka and Katara (not just one or the other) seem to take turns alternatively switching back and forth between wise voice of reason and completely irrational idiot (for the sake of getting across the lesson being communicated in any given episode) that can feel pretty forced and not totally believable.

Sokka too but it sticks out for me more with Katara because Sokka is shown to be less mature (even going beyond his goofiness) and Katara is meant to be more of the rational voice of reason to center the trio. I don't have a problem with characters occasionally breaking established and expected character traits, because people have off days or entire periods of their life and there were definitely some episodes where Katara being inconsistent was done in a believable way but like I said, some episodes it felt like I was watching an entirely different character and I'd just be asking "why the f*** is she so dumb this episode?"

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Fire benders couldn’t make fire. The acting was some of the worst I’ve ever seen. The bending looked awful. All the main characters were white washed. I really don’t think anything about that movie was good.
5 Earthbenders doing a dance show style to throw a rock the size of a frying pan had me in stitches

This had to be some of the worst shits I have ever seen

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
5 Earthbenders doing a dance show style to throw a rock the size of a frying pan had me in stitches

This had to be some of the worst shits I have ever seen

My God I've always heard it was bad, but never has seen anything from the movie itself. Its even worse than I imagined

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I didn't mind that at all. It's entirely in line with the fact that she and Sokka lost their mother at a young age. Sure at times it could be a little annoying but that's how mothers can be.

There were just a few episodes where it seemed like her IQ and skepticism just plummeted for plot purposes.

Sokka too but it sticks out for me more with Katara because Sokka is shown to be less mature (even going beyond his goofiness) and Katara is meant to be more of the rational voice of reason to center the trio. I don't have a problem with characters occasionally breaking established and expected character traits, because people have off days or entire periods of their life and there were definitely some episodes where Katara being inconsistent was done in a believable way but like I said, some episodes it felt like I was watching an entirely different character and I'd just be asking "why the f*** is she so dumb this episode?"

I agree they could be very dumb at times. I think inconsistency is also pretty in line for young teenagers though.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've been meaning to watch this series for a while now. And after visiting some friends about a month ago, they told me they just completed their first watch and recommended it. I'm only just over half done with season 2 and am really enjoying it.

The last episode I watched was the episode where Uncle Iroh is preparing for a "picnic" and sings a song at the end. :puppy: :(

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I've been meaning to watch this series for a while now. And after visiting some friends about a month ago, they told me they just completed their first watch and recommended it. I'm only just over half done with season 2 and am really enjoying it.

The last episode I watched was the episode where Uncle Iroh is preparing for a "picnic" and sings a song at the end. :puppy: :(

Leaves on the vine or something like that. Yeah that episode is especially sad because it’s the voice actor’s last episode as he loses his battle with cancer around then.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad