Pre-Game Talk: Avatar Solidarity: Lockout's Over/Season Begins Themed Avatars?

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
*shrug*

Goalie mask, no goalie mask. I'm cool either way, it's the spirit of it I find enjoyable.

Hold a vote, and decide that way. Hopefully a bunch of us will be cool with whatever wins out.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
oh! 10-11. Is there a vote or something?

There was a vote for a whole bunch of awards. Board MVP, classiest poster, best mod, most level headed poster, calder for best new poster (I was runner up :(), most opinionated poster.

I was very nasty my rookie year. So New York RKY comes in and he's like "let's have an angriest poster award and give it to Machinehead in addition to his calder nomination"

I was like "HOT DOG!" :yo:

*Bob Richards*

Alright you kids, lets get back on topic. We have an OT thread.

This is my iron fist. ;)

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I was thinking this

1. pic of Lundqvist, text: Goalie
2. pic of Girardi, text: Goalie
3. pic of Del Zotto, text: Goalie
4. pic of Callahan, text: Goalie
5. pic of Richards, text: Goalie
6. pic of Gaborik, text: Offense?
7. rocking head pic of Torts screaming (the one from the "Torts kind of guy" avatars) text: You grind, or you ride pine!
8. NYR, 6 goalie system, DEAL

maybe the 6 players could come in from all directions like the GIF on pg. 2 of this thread. Everyone should be in a defensive posture besides Gaborik. Have Richards come in from the top upside down for shets & giggles.

Last edited:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I was thinking this

1. pic of Lundqvist, text: Goalie
2. pic of Girardi, text: Goalie
3. pic of Del Zotto, text: Goalie
4. pic of Callahan, text: Goalie
5. pic of Richards, text: Goalie
6. pic of Gaborik, text: Offense?
7. rocking head pic of Torts screaming (the one from the "Torts kind of guy" avatars) text: You grind, or you ride pine!
8. NYR, 6 goalie system, DEAL

maybe the 6 players could come in from all directions like the GIF on pg. 2 of this thread. Everyone should be in a defensive posture besides Gaborik. Have Richards come in from the top upside down for shets & giggles.

Way too many pictures to be under the file limit.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I'm just saying right now, if we don't do this with a set template that has one customizable element for everyone, it's not worth doing. The idea is to have something like Hank's body and everyone just choose a face to put on it, like we did with the Tort's head on Giorgio Tsoukalos' body for the playoffs. Without a specific template and a POLISHED look it's a pointless exercise. The idea is to have solidarity throughout the HFNYR posters avatars so that wherever we go on the boards our avatars stand out as the 2013 HFNYR theme. Otherwise everyone can just make their own and do what they like.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I'm just saying right now, if we don't do this with a set template that has one customizable element for everyone, it's not worth doing. The idea is to have something like Hank's body and everyone just choose a face to put on it, like we did with the Tort's head on Giorgio Tsoukalos' body for the playoffs. Without a specific template and a POLISHED look it's a pointless exercise. The idea is to have solidarity throughout the HFNYR posters avatars so that wherever we go on the boards our avatars stand out as the 2013 HFNYR theme. Otherwise everyone can just make their own and do what they like.

You can put a mask on anyone you like.. Maybe even people who aren't on the Rangers?

I guess you can put a mask on a celebrity and say he/she's also one of our six goalies.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I just don't really think it's a very good theme now. Putting a goalie mask on a picture of McDonagh shooting/dumping the puck and adopting the "deal with it" meme is not the kind of final product I envisioned. If you guys like it, that's fine and run with it. You certainly don't need my permission. I was just thinking of a more polished final product and not a recycled, tired (unfunny) internet meme. I thought we'd do our own original thing. If everyone else likes it, it's not my job to be a curmudgeon and tell you not to use it. I just won't be participating as it's not the cohesive project I intended. Everyone choosing their own picture and just sliding a goalie mask on it means everyone's avatar looks completely different and just has the mask and the same text. I was thinking everyone's avatar would be 95% the same with just a different face for each, resulting in a much more uniform look.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
I just don't really think it's a very good theme now. Putting a goalie mask on a picture of McDonagh shooting/dumping the puck and adopting the "deal with it" meme is not the kind of final product I envisioned. If you guys like it, that's fine and run with it. You certainly don't need my permission. I was just thinking of a more polished final product and not a recycled, tired (unfunny) internet meme. I thought we'd do our own original thing. If everyone else likes it, it's not my job to be a curmudgeon and tell you not to use it. I just won't be participating as it's not the cohesive project I intended. Everyone choosing their own picture and just sliding a goalie mask on it means everyone's avatar looks completely different and just has the mask and the same text. I was thinking everyone's avatar would be 95% the same with just a different face for each, resulting in a much more uniform look.

Agreed.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
You can put a mask on anyone you like.. Maybe even people who aren't on the Rangers?

I guess you can put a mask on a celebrity and say he/she's also one of our six goalies.

No disrespect at all: but that really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Why people who aren't Rangers?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
No disrespect at all: but that really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Why people who aren't Rangers?

Well at least I'm trying to brainstorm instead of just saying I don't like it.

And if that makes no sense whatsoever, how come we did that already with "Torts Kind of Guy"?

What's your idea?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Well at least I'm trying to brainstorm instead of just saying I don't like it.

And if that makes no sense whatsoever, how come we did that already with "Torts Kind of Guy"?

What's your idea?

I gave my idea already, several times. To the point where I didn't even want to keep posting it again because I don't want to act like my idea is the only one worth considering. As I've said, if you guys want to roll with the "deal with it meme", do so. It's just not for me, nor what I envisioned when I suggested we do a "theme".

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I gave my idea already, several times. To the point where I didn't even want to keep posting it again because I don't want to act like my idea is the only one worth considering. As I've said, if you guys want to roll with the "deal with it meme", do so. It's just not for me, nor what I envisioned when I suggested we do a "theme".

Alright. We need more people to actually make the templates. We usually have a lot more people..

Where's DoTheBlue, Wraparounds, and/or Ailurophile?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Personally, I think the "deal with it" idea fits nicely but I can understand why other people don't like it. I feel like we're all part of an internet community and the more established memes that we all know, whether we like them or not, are part of the culture of the internet. Also, I think "deal with is" describes my reaction, and probably most of our reactions, when fans of other team start complaining about "boring" NYR hockey and the six goalie system. I hate memes thrown around when they're not applicable, but I personally find them pretty funny in the right context and this is just the right context for "deal with it" in my opinion.

Having said that, I'm not married to the idea and I'm completely open to whatever. Any funny NYR themed avatar is good in my book. I'm definitely in need of an update.

Kershaw

I think "deal with is" describes my reaction, and probably most of our reactions, when fans of other team start complaining about "boring" NYR hockey and the six goalie system.

This is exactly why I prefer this one. And we used internet memes for our playoff avatar last year and that got an outstanding impression by everyone, including fans of other teams.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL

I like your idea too... I just wanna see a product!

My preference is always subtle, classy, clean... crisp as you say. I just want people to be on board. The more the merrier.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
If the files are too big for some, some could just have a picture of the last slide instead of the whole .gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->