Movies: Avatar movies

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So the filming for the second and third Avatar movies have been underway for a few months now. The BBC seems to have a scoop as they have document in hand that supposedly lists the names of the 4 sequels.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I was recently wondering what ever happened to the Avatar followups, didn't realize they were doing so much and taking there time. I'll be looking forward to it, hopefully doing it this way pays off compared to doing a quick sequel cash in.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
the 1st one was just Pocahontas with blue people.

it was such a big deal and made all that it did because of the technological breakthrough. It put CGI, 3-D and IMAX on a whole new level for movies.

I dont see that as an appeal that can be duplicated, and with a weak story I dont see people going in droves to see more of it

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
They actually waited this long for the sequels in order to develop the technology needed to film underwater effects the way they wanted

This will be another breakthrough in the industry and will make billions

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
the 1st one was just Pocahontas with blue people.

it was such a big deal and made all that it did because of the technological breakthrough. It put CGI, 3-D and IMAX on a whole new level for movies.

I dont see that as an appeal that can be duplicated, and with a weak story I dont see people going in droves to see more of it

They have spend 5+ years on the scripts alone so that they all mesh etc. I am hoping for the best with them.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They have spend 5+ years on the scripts alone so that they all mesh etc. I am hoping for the best with them.

Yeah the first one was about the setting and new visual tech. No one rags on Star Wars: A New Hope because it followed the basic hero's journey with a story that ripped off Seven Samurai.

Now that the setting is set and they've had a long time to work on it while the emphasis will still be on the visuals I'd imagine the 'story' will find it's own place and become much bigger than a basic retelling of something that's been done before plenty of times.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah the first one was about the setting and new visual tech. No one rags on Star Wars: A New Hope because it followed the basic hero's journey with a story that ripped off Seven Samurai.

Now that the setting is set and they've had a long time to work on it while the emphasis will still be on the visuals I'd imagine the 'story' will find it's own place and become much bigger than a basic retelling of something that's been done before plenty of times.

An established setting and a lot of time to work on a bigger, better story didn't get us much in Star Wars' case, though. We got the flaky prequels (that were bad partly because Lucas tried to tell a larger story), then a basic retelling of the first film in The Force Awakens (exactly what you imply shouldn't have happened), then The Last Jedi. If anything, Star Wars proves that following up a phenomenon is extremely difficult, even when the original was simple and derivative. You might think that that latter point means that there's lots of potential for improvement, but, in the film world, that often makes it even harder because there's not enough to build off of. In such cases, sequels often end up appearing either too derivative (like in TPM and TFA) or too different (like AotC, RotS and TLJ, so that fans think that they don't "feel like" the originals).

I wouldn't put it past Cameron to prove me wrong, but I would not be surprised if the first Avatar sequel is essentially a retelling of the first film, much like TPM and, especially, TFA were similar to ANH, and if the later sequels are hardly more original and more capturing of viewers' imaginations. They'll all be commercial hits, but for the visuals and the events that they'll be. I don't anticipate the stories being well received, no matter how much time they've had to work on them. After all, Cameron wrote the first treatment for Avatar in 1994, 15 years before it was finally released to theaters, and he didn't write or direct anything major between Titanic in 1997 and Avatar in 2009. That's a lot of time to tweak and improve the script, yet it still ended up as simple and derivative as it did, and that was just one script to work on, not four. In other words, I don't think that having a lot of time to work on these films should be much comfort that they'll be an improvement in the story department.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Cameron is a technical genius and he seems to consistently prove doubters wrong.

That said, I've never been less excited for a film franchise. Maybe the Air Bud Expanded Universe (shouts to Spooky Buddies though).

Reactions: NyQuil

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Cameron is a technical genius and he seems to consistently prove doubters wrong.

That said, I've never been less excited for a film franchise.

My feelings are similar. Cameron has been my favorite director most of my life, yet I'm remarkably unexcited for four new visionary films from him, even when he's made only one in the last 20 years. If it were a different or new sci-fi franchise, I'd likely be excited, but Avatar does nothing for my imagination, unfortunately.

I’ve learned never to underestimate James Cameron.

I don't think that anyone underestimates his ability to deliver a box office buster that pushes the technical envelope, which is his specialty, anymore. There's only doubt that the writing will be up to par, which I think is a very valid doubt, considering that that has been the chief complaint about the film that these are sequels to.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
My feelings are similar. Cameron has been my favorite director most of my life, yet I'm remarkably unexcited for four new visionary films from him, even when he's made only one in the last 20 years. If it were a different or new sci-fi franchise, I'd likely be excited, but Avatar does nothing for my imagination, unfortunately.

I don't think that anyone underestimates his ability to deliver a box office buster that pushes the technical envelope, which is his specialty, anymore. There's only doubt that the writing will be up to par, which I think is a very valid doubt, considering that that has been the chief complaint about the film that these are sequels to.

For me, while I recognize that Cameron is unparalleled in delivering visuals and pushing the technical envelope, I'm having a hard time getting excited as I don't think I feel that anything is really missing from cinema right now in this regard. It doesn't feel like there's anything that we can't see.

So, for these sequels to impact visually, it's going to have to deliver something that I don't know that I even wanted. If anyone can do it it would be Cameron. But it's hard to get excited unless you feel there's something missing.

Regarding Avatar, what also hurts its legacy beyond the weak script, is that as great as the visuals were, 3D has become such an unimpressive bore. I find myself happy when there's non 3D options for the big blockbusters. Avatar was a great experience, but nothing really impressive has veeb dine with them medium since.

Reactions: GB

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What made Avatar's 3D so effective, IMO, is that it was used only for depth from the screen back. In other words, objects in the background (like the floating islands) were made to look farther away and/or more real (and less like pre-rendered backdrop). Most films since have done the opposite and used 3D mainly on objects in the foreground to bring them into the theater and closer to the viewer. Avatar's use of 3D wasn't subtle, but it was certainly restrained and used for immersion, not for cheap thrills. Films since have missed that point and abused the technology to the point that it's become a fad.

Gravity is the only film that I think came close to using 3D to deliver an experience like Avatar. Similar to Avatar, the 3D helped to give a sense of space (as in the space around you), making you feel like you were floating in zero gravity with the characters. Those are the only two films that I think that you really needed to see in 3D.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Here is an article on the dive into the trench and the use of filming for the movies.

James Cameron dives deep for Avatar

Cameron's plans to descend into the Mariana trench are more about the technical challenges of building the submersible and filming at depth than a route to scientific discovery. But Bowen believes that repeating Walsh and Piccard's record-breaking dive can only be a good thing. "Exploring such an inhospitable and extreme realm of the deep ocean is hugely valuable, because it creates a chance for people to engage their imagination. There is nothing quite like being there," he says.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Cameron has given an update for movies 2, 3 and 4.

2 is fully in the can. We have a working cut that we’re filling in the visual effects within. I feel pretty confident with that film. 3 is still a bit shadowy. It’s way too long. I haven’t really turned my energy into a disciplined cutting process on that yet. But I know I’ve got the performances. That’s the important thing. I’ve done all the capture. I’ve done most of the live action shooting. I still owe a little bit on some of the adult characters. We were more concerned with the kids aging out. You got to get busy before Timothée…
We mixed the schedules for 2 and 3 together, based on the types of scenes and the environments. I said, let’s just treat it like it’s a six-hour miniseries and we’re only going to go to Frankfurt once. We’re going to shoot all the scenes from 2 and 3 at the same time. That was more or less the motif. Actor availability was an issue as well. Anything that had to be done with a specific actor, we did all the scenes for 2 and 3 together — and a little bit of 4. Because once again, I had to shoot the kids out. They’re allowed to age six years in the middle of the story on page 25 of movie 4. So I needed everything before then, and then everything after, we’ll do later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad