Dmitri Maltsev signed to a 2-year deal

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Mikhail Yunkov, Kirill Rasskazov, and Alexander Kucheryavenko join the team

Milos Krasic

Jul 1, 2008
Agreed. Avangard had a shot to win the Gagarin Cup in 2012, but lost in Game 7 on a fluke goal from Klepis. I don't see us getting back anytime soon at this rate.

Perezhogin and Popov are only getting older. Furch and Sobotka will be gone. Kempny is already gone. I like Kostin, but if no one is in front of him, it will just be more Conference SF exits.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Any word on what's happening with Sobotka? It's been rumored that he's coming back to the NHL this year, but nobody seems to know for sure what's going on.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Very good schedule to start, I'd say. Yugra, Barys and Avto... Quite nice opponents to warm up for the real stuff and deposit some points into piggy bank. The first away tour looks scary though: Loko, Vityaz, Dynamo. One or two slips at the beginning and we may end up at 10th spot or so after six games. Well, not that I expect anything good this year but still I don't like seeing this team suck. I'll be more than happy to make it into Eastern semi-finals.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
What's wrong with this team? :sarcasm: I mean, we should have been mediocre... Rock solid defending and pretty legit lines up-front, which seems to be working quite well. The arena is full today. Maybe it's time to start saving money for a play-off visit to Omsk already. Real test has yet to start, though. Loko, Vityaz and Dynamo Moscow in next three. I'd be fine with anything 4+ pts here.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What's wrong with this team? :sarcasm: I mean, we should have been mediocre...

Against Barys, Yugra and Avto? No, you shouldn't have. It's pretty much as expected, no fireworks offensively without 3 top centers (2 I guess if Sobotka leaves) but solid defense which lead to good results. At the same time, if you only score 7 goals in 3 games against these kind of opponents question has to be asked how you are going to do against real opponents. My guess, not great.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Against Barys, Yugra and Avto? No, you shouldn't have. It's pretty much as expected, no fireworks offensively without 3 top centers (2 I guess if Sobotka leaves) but solid defense which lead to good results. At the same time, if you only score 7 goals in 3 games against these kind of opponents question has to be asked how you are going to do against real opponents. My guess, not great.

I expected a more stagnant, sluggish performance to start with to be honest. For the first few games, even if they're against VHL teams, losses can be expected. So, 9pts in 3 games is a great start for me without question. Moreover, this is just my opinion but I always rate defense way more higher than offense. So while scoring 7 in 3 games is not spectacular, I'm impressed with only 2 goals conceded. As time goes on, I believe this team will get even better. My mentality is based on not conceding. If you score 3 or 4 goals each game, you'll surely lose games on the way. However, if you don't concede at all, you won't. This is why I'm quite happy and hopeful with/about how things are going on.

People are lucky that I am not a hockey & football manager - I'd make eyes bleed with my defensive tactics aimed at killing the game & pace. I'm Skudra made of kebab and steel.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think Kanareikin is actually much worse than Skudra in this case, you guys think alike. Skudra's system is similar to Znaroks', it's about working hard. Kanareikin's is an old school one about trapping like crazy.

Hence my concern, really. I didn't have any doubts that Avangard will do fine on defense with coach like that, outscoring the good teams will be a real challenge.

Milos Krasic

Jul 1, 2008
It's also worth noting, we're playing without Sobotka, Burdasov, Zubov, and Roy. This team should be more threatening upon the return of 4 key players.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It's also worth noting, we're playing without Sobotka, Burdasov, Zubov, and Roy. This team should be more threatening upon the return of 4 key players.

When will they return? Or, will they ever? I expected Sobotka to return as Kournukhov left but I'm not so sure now. And do you know any fan portal or something like that where I can follow the latest news and articles about Avangard? I think there is none in English but Russian is also fine. I can read it with the help of translator but it's difficult to find sources by doing so. Newspapers cover whole KHL so you can see one or two pieces of news but that's it, a portal dedicated only to Avangard would be nice to receive info from.

Milos Krasic

Jul 1, 2008
Avangard's YouTube channel has 10,000 subscribers and is always uploading new videos. Everything is in Russian, though.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Ahnelov's awesome own goal and the reaction... :laugh:

"What? Did it hit my skate? No way. Seriously? Didn't Nedorost shoot? I scored it? Damn. Sorry man. Wait, you really mean it?"

We have serious troubling attacking properly. Unimpressive, to say the least. Not a single clear chance in whole first period. We just keep skating with not a clear idea on what to do next. I'm glad the refs didn't buy the excellent dive of Parshin, it was not a penalty. I predicted Slovan to win this in Pick 'Em game as a "surprise prediction" yet it looks like it will be a surprise if Avangard won this one. Weak stuff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad