Avalanche One Hit Wonders

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Svatos had a short lived career due to injury, but he wasn't a one hit wonder. His big season was 05-06 obviously (32 goals, 50 points in 61 GP), but he also had a big 07-08 (26 goals, 11 assists in 62 GP). There was a stretch in 07-08 where he really carried the Avs offense, as Sakic, Stastny, and Smyth were all injured simultaneously.

Agree with the person who said TJ Galiardi. He was a 2nd round pick who was a really good defensive forward in his rookie season. He scored 39 points in 70 games that year, playing on the Avs first line with Paul Stastny and Chris Stewart. After that the wheels completely fell off.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Svatos had a short lived career due to injury, but he wasn't a one hit wonder. His big season was 05-06 obviously (32 goals, 50 points in 61 GP), but he also had a big 07-08 (26 goals, 11 assists in 62 GP). There was a stretch in 07-08 where he really carried the Avs offense, as Sakic, Stastny, and Smyth were all injured simultaneously.

Agree with the person who said TJ Galiardi. He was a 2nd round pick who was a really good defensive forward in his rookie season. He scored 39 points in 70 games that year, playing on the Avs first line with Paul Stastny and Chris Stewart. After that the wheels completely fell off.
He was awesome in that series against the Sharks. That's pretty much all I remember him for.

Reactions: shadow1

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He was awesome in that series against the Sharks. That's pretty much all I remember him for.

He was an ok bottom six agitator outside of that, but Gali looked like he could be an elite bottom sixer after that year and especially that series.

I remember he really pissed Thornton off and got him off his game too. Joe said everyone wanted to kill Galiardi during that series.

He worked hard and had some clutch in him, but unfortunately consistency was a problem. That's a hard style of play to play every night though. Not many guys can do it because it's so physically taxing and leads to a lot of injuries.

This was a Gali style clutch goal here too right before that Sharks series. Hard working, no fear, take the abuse to drive the net style tying goal with only seconds remaining. Avs were fighting for their playoff lives in late March, before finally making it as the 8th seed.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seeing Rob Blake's face there at the end reminds me that he ended Peter Mueller's career with a completely unnecessary hit from behind about week before that series, and never really apologized for it.

Reactions: Fixxer

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not true... and surprisingly Finger had a better offer...

Mirtle had an article on The Athletic not long ago about this.

Jeff Finger's dream was to play for the Maple Leafs. Then it...

For a player who wasn’t an NHL regular until he was 28 years old and was earning AHL money – less than $90,000 a season – for most of his career, it was an unfathomable windfall. And it meant he would be playing for the Leafs, in Toronto, the hockey Mecca.
Finger was blown away that day.
“Yes, to be honest with you,” he said. “Yes. I mean I knew there was going to be demand. Neil got some scoop that there was obvious interest. But when the numbers started coming in, I was… I mean I think everybody was fairly surprised to say the least. But there were a few other teams that were up there in terms of interest and the money. There were three or four teams that were up around that.​

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
An all time classic :towel:

For some reason I have this image saved on my computer:

8nhGvTa.jpg

It's a shame Gali didn't work out. Galiardi - O'Reilly - Winnik was a hell of a line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
David Aebischer had one great season as a starter. Which is more than you can say about Jose Theodore.

I don't know I thought Theo had a solid regular season in 2007-08.

He was good in the first round of the playoffs that year against Minny too. Especially to help the Avs close out the series in six. He only gave up four goals in the final three games.

Didn't play that well against the Wings in the second round though. Gave up four goals in the first three games, and then 3 in the fourth game before getting swept. The Wings were way better than the Avs that year though. First in the NHL in the regular season and then won the Cup while the Avs were getting worse every year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Does Tyler Arnason on Edmonton's ice count?

He once centered a line full of one-hit wonders. The infamous "ABC Line" of Arnason, Kyle Calder, and Mark Bell. There was plenty of talent to spare between all three of those players, but none of them ever quite lived up to them. Bell, in particular, was a very troubled guy.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I have mixed feelings about calling Svatos a one hit wonder, knowing now that he had real problems with an addiction to pain killers after all his injuries.

Wasn't for a lack of skill or dedication like some of the others.

Kid was an absolute stud with incredible skill and heart. He's very generously listed at 5'10" 180 lbs but in his mind he was 6'6" 240 lbs. Pavel Bure in Eric Lindros' body.

He was a one-hit wonder in that he never really recaptured that form, but I agree it wasn't as much a flash in the pan as many. Knowing the kind of player Svatos was, with that confidence that quite easily overstepped the borderline of cockiness / arrogance, I'm not sure it was possible for him to play any other way - as you mention, he played a power forward's game in a skilled player's body, and that takes its toll no matter who you are.

He'll always be one of my favorite Avs, pour out a dram for him tonight.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think we need to feel conflicted about labeling Svats as a "One Hit Wonder." A lot of times great players see their careers derailed far too soon due to injuries. Svatos was no exception, unfortunately. And it was those injuries and likely frustration that resulted from them that led to some unfortunate circumstances in his life going forward.

There are plenty of reasons a guy doesn't last in the highest level of a given sport--a lack of dedication or perceived character is rarely the case IMO. The only one I can think of is Wojtek Wolski, and he still had a reasonably successful career, but if he had actually cared IMO he would've been a superstar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad