Avalanche One Hit Wonders

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome to Last Word on Hockey’s One Hit Wonder series. Each day, we will take a look at a new team’s three biggest one-hit wonders. These are players that had one great season or playoff run but never did anything like that again. Join us every day for a new team! Today we take a look at the Colorado Avalance One Hit Wonders.

Colorado Avalance One Hit Wonders

Marek Svatos

The first of three Colorado Avalanche One-Hit Wonders is Marek Svatos. Svatos was Colorado’s seventh-round selection in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. He signed a standard deal and debuted briefly in the 2003-04 season. Svatos would ultimately play for six seasons in Colorado accumulating 96 goals and 164 points in 306 games. He is the most successful of the team’s 2001 selections, even more so than second-round selection Peter Budaj. His career .50 points-per-game is very good considering where Svatos was selected that year; Svatos is the 30th-most productive member of the 2001 class.

One Hit Season

Svatos made his mark in the 2005-06 season. The then-23-year-year-old scored 32 goals and 50 points in 61 games en route a fifth-place Calder Cup finish and a singular vote for the Hart Trophy. He was the only Avalanche to receive a vote for either award. Svatos’ season was entirely a result of a 19.4 percent shooting percentage on 165 shots. That was the 14th-best mark of the year among players who skated in at least 10 games.

The Article Continues Here...
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/27/colorado-avalanche-one-hit-wonders/

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have mixed feelings about calling Svatos a one hit wonder, knowing now that he had real problems with an addiction to pain killers after all his injuries.

Wasn't for a lack of skill or dedication like some of the others.

Kid was an absolute stud with incredible skill and heart. He's very generously listed at 5'10" 180 lbs but in his mind he was 6'6" 240 lbs. Pavel Bure in Eric Lindros' body.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Svatty was one of my favourites. Unfortunately, the injuries really took a toll on him. He went from a really skilled sniper to a garbage man, but boy did he ever have heart. I still remember him basically deciding it was his job to bully the other teams biggest defensemen. Remember him going after Pronger, Foote and I believe Chara.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Svatty was one of my favourites. Unfortunately, the injuries really took a toll on him. He went from a really skilled sniper to a garbage man, but boy did he ever have heart. I still remember him basically deciding it was his job to bully the other teams biggest defensemen. Remember him going after Pronger, Foote and I believe Chara.

One of my favourites of all time too. That goal against the Sharks in 2010, damn my heart hurts.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I missed out on the Svatos era unfortunately.

Mueller? I loved him, if not for injuries I think he woulda been a nice piece here for a few years.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Svatos was a pitbull. The guy had so much heart and a huge motor. His slender body couldnt deal with the rigors of an NHL schedule unfortunately. I remember being so hyped for some odd reason when he made the team out of camp and then got injured game 2 and didnt play again until game 80 or something. When he came back he scored 2 goals I think against LA and Forsberg assisted on both.
Favourite goal from him is against Dallas in Dallas in OT. What a shot. Poor Turco.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I wouldn't call Svatos a one hit wonder, he was on pace for 30+ in 07/08 when Klemm (I think, not sure) basically ended his career.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I thought Svatos was a pretty good contributor for more than one year as well. Not a one hit wonder in my book.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think the term need be applied so stringently. Sure, he had more than one productive year, but there was only one year where he was turning heads in the NHL, a year the Avs were one of the best offensive teams in hockey. That was the year he and Pierre Turgeon were a surprisingly deadly scoring tandem. Svatos was never able to make it to even 70 NHL games at any time during his career. The only reason he managed more was that he had to soften his game, which made him far less effective.

Just a real sad story all around, both on and off the ice. No doubt he would've been a legit star in the league had he been able to stay healthy.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad