News Article: Avalanche, Kings cancel skates due to COVID-19 protocol- Fri and Sun games NOW POSTPONED

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
1. No it doesn't. Pfizer, Moderna both work similarly....they tell your body to create antibodies based on the vaccine's mRNA messages, generally speaking. If you do get infected, the antibody's are lying in wait. One vaccine will not "prevent" anything over the other. Everyone can get COVID, vaccinated or not, and by "get COVID" I'm saying the virus is in your body. Whether that virus is doing anything to you (either asymptomatic or full blown disease) will depend on your immune system....either with the vaccine or without it (some people are just immune).

2. That's misleading. No, the vaccine will not have total prevention of spreading the virus, but it is extremely effective at reducing the likelihood of spreading it by having these antibodys ready to clean up the virus. Less virus in your body means less likelihood of disease and less likelihood of transmission. Some people, whether vaccinated or not, are just screwed. They'll get the disease and have to deal with the symptoms. And those that do are at greater risk of spreading the virus vs those who have had effective results from the vaccination.

I don't know what the percentages are for Pfizer but I'm sure it's similar, they do have very similar mechanisms. I haven't seen any of their data, only Modernas. I'm sure their efficacies are close to each other, the only real difference is their stabilities. No pharma company is going to publish their formulations and methods, but if I had to guess it's probably due to how they deal with Uracil, which is present in RNA and not DNA and results in unstable secondary structures. J&J is and should be much different as it is a DNA vaccine as opposed to a RNA one. It makes sense to me that it would be a single shot, because DNA is far more stable with its tight helix, but it's also less predictable as you have to add another step with RNA production to make the protein. Moderna and Pfizer skip that step.

Just because you have a vector in your body doesn't mean you "have" something. If that was the case, everyone would have flu, some kind of URI, and a couple other infections pretty much 24/7 depending on the time of the year. No medical professional would diagnose you with any virus or infection just because of its presence, and they certainly wouldn't treat you. Once your viral load reaches a point where it overruns your immune system to where you are infectious, symptomatic, or compromised by other vectors that would typically be fought off, then you "have" something. So yes, they do keep you from getting COVID as they prevent your viral load from increasing and they reduce the ability for it to be transmitted to others. At least in the great majority of people. What constitutes "having" something could be debated forever, so just going by how the medical and scientific communities view that.

I get what you are saying with #2, but it's not misleading at all to say that vaccines don't prevent you from spreading the virus. They greatly reduce the chance, but they certainly don't prevent it. If you have had the vaccine, are exposed, and your viral load gets to a point where you have symptoms, you can certainly spread that to others. Thankfully that only happens in a low percentage of individuals.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Dustin Penner is posting here?

PennerCovid just doesn't have the same ring as Pennercakes.

PennerPancakes_0-450x301.jpg

Reactions: The Butcher

bland

Jul 1, 2004
How far does your personal entertainment outweigh the public health and safety of others?

I should just ignore this thread.
Its either this or a bunch of threads chocked with rebuild impatience.

So...

Read any good books lately?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Do we even know if it's the Kings or the Avs that are the problem? I'm with @tny760 , just forfeit the games and be done with it. I don't think we need this season going on any longer than it has to.
I saw somewhere 3 avs players tested positive. Nothing about any kings players

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Hawks Kings series in 14 was amazing hockey and no teams have matched it since.

Rewatched it over the break and it was a great move. Just pure, in control, heavyweights swinging to win by TKO, not just holding on for the scorecard.

warning, it will make you not watch a Kings game for the remainder of 2021.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Rewatched it over the break and it was a great move. Just pure, in control, heavyweights swinging to win by TKO, not just holding on for the scorecard.

That’s fine I’ve only seen 1 this year. I don’t get most of their games in South Dakota.

Before nhl center ice transfered to nhl tv, they had every game cataloged for 7 or 8 years. I used to watch at least one series from the cup runs each week.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I got my first Pfizer shot yesterday.

This afternoon I started getting a really bad headache.

I left work an hour early. I took some ibuprofen and a couple beers. I then took a nap and felt way better.

I may make it through this yet.

Reactions: BigKing

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I got my first Pfizer shot yesterday.

This afternoon I started getting a really bad headache.

I left work an hour early. I took some ibuprofen and a couple beers. I then took a nap and felt way better.

I may make it through this yet.

Wow I had no effects on both Pfizer shots. Hang in there I heard Moderna was worst.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I got moderna back in February and had very mild headache and a sore arm that I got shot in , piece of cake for myself and my wife , just didn’t buy the could have unknown side effects because we knew what the effects of COVID was , lost 3 close friends and know of a few more in our extended work family........and yet my 85 year old mom gets its and comes out fine, craziest disease/flu whatever I have ever seen

Reactions: DrewNaughty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->