Do you like AV as the Flyers coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Benoit Groulx. Forget the old boys club. Lets get some new meat in here!!!! Some one good with teaching young players and great at communicating with the veterans to see what works and what does not.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Uh ohhhh. Thats three news outlets that have stated AV is on the hot seat.

Fletcher can literally save his job with a strong offseason and firing literally the entire coaching crew.

This fanbase is utterly desperate for a real move of intent after 10 years of mediocrity. Do it Fletch!!!
PLEASE STOP GIVING ME HOPE

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It seems as though most of the Flyers fans on this forum do not like Alain Vigneault and his staff for the job they've done during their two difficult seasons dealing with troubles like Covid-19, Nolan Patrick's absence for the entire 2020 season, and Oskar Lindblom's cancer situation, then the vacancy of a qualified experienced defenseman to mentor the younger players on the team when Niskanen retired.
I would really like to know who everyone wants to replace coach Vigneault?
The goal is to acquire a patient coach who will teach the young players on the way and not whip them like a dog that just bleeped the rug when mistakes are made. So no no no to Torts types.

I love a flier on a coach free agent end of the year being Rod Brind'Amour. ;)

If you want someone out of the box with a ton of ahl coaching experience Todd Nelson night be a name in the bin.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Doesn't it just feel like we're consistently in this same mode though? Sack the assistant coaches, sack the coach. Bring in new coaching team, sack the assistant coaches, sack the coach. Repeat ad nauseum with a new GM.

Can't we just be good for a bit please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Doesn't it just feel like we're consistently in this same mode though? Sack the assistant coaches, sack the coach. Bring in new coaching team, sack the assistant coaches, sack the coach. Repeat ad nauseum with a new GM.

It does, but in a way we (the fans) just got extremely unlucky. Hexy was on the right track, but his two fatal flaws - unshakeable loyalty to the terrible coach he hired, and a lack of urgency with regard to development and promotion - undid most of his good work. The reaction to that "build through the draft and hire an untried college coach" was always going to be "safe" and ultra conservative, and when the hockey world is full of roaming dinosaurs and their dinosaur ideals, safe is death.

We are in real trouble moving forward, because the reaction to the current malaise is either going to be "give AV his kind of players (i.e. trash veterans)" or "replace like for like (i.e. Torts)." It's going to be some time before we get someone in at the top level who is willing and able to break it and rebuild.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeh, it just makes me wonder how much impact the coach really has. Like goalies, they just seem to be voodoo.

Fans hate the current coach. Everywhere.

Firing the HC is the easy fix, until you have to fire the next HC.
Since Hak made the playoffs in 2015, it's been the same mantra around here.
Change players? Sure, get rid of VdV, Manning, Hagg, Braun and that'll solve everything.

Real problem isn't AV or Hak, it's having a clear vision of what kind of team you want to build and what coach fits that team.
When Rutherford decided to promote Sullivan, he also rebuilt the Pens to fit Sullivan's MO.

AV outcoached Torts in NY, Torts had HOF Lundqvist, AV had fading Lundqvist.
And Torts has struggled in Columbus.

I remember people telling me that Peters was a much better coach than Hak, despite not making the playoffs in four years, it was the lack of talent in Carolina holding him back - while they made some major moves when BrindA'mour took over, the core was still there. Was it the Hamilton for Hanifin and Lindbholm trade that turned it around or getting a new HC? I doubt it was Svechnikov's 37 points that was the difference maker.

Waddell came in with BrindA'mour, and made some moves, trading top young players (Hanifin, Lindholm for Hamilton and Ferland), high scoring veterans (Skinner for 2nd, 3rd rd picks), my underachiever for your underachiever (Rask for Niederreiter), traded a 1st rd pick for Skjei, picked up Trocheck at the TDL for Wallmark, Loustarinen (#42), traded a former high 1st rd pick (Faulk) for Edmundson then a year later flips Edmundson for a 5th. Overall, didn't improve the talent but obviously did improve the fit.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
The goal is to acquire a patient coach who will teach the young players on the way and not whip them like a dog that just bleeped the rug when mistakes are made. So no no no to Torts types.

I love a flier on a coach free agent end of the year being Rod Brind'Amour. ;)

If you want someone out of the box with a ton of ahl coaching experience Todd Nelson night be a name in the bin.
Cheers for your input here. I'd welcome a return of Brindy, his detail about staying in shape to his players would be great for this team. I don't know a bloody thing about Nelson, but I trust your opinion.

The fact of the matter is that Alain Vigneault and his staff were hired to coach the current team because the management group saw this team to be contenders. If they had better players to work with, I'm pretty sure Vigneault & Co. would look brilliant. What they have on this squad now are veteran players who've been here for awhile and they lack self direction and consistency. As the Captain recently claimed that the team isn't lazy. Umm, by making that statement is admitting that several members of the team ARE lazy Cload! My final statement is that Vigneault and his staff are fine coaches, but this is the wrong team for them, the talented players on this team are too young and need that mentoring, and the older players think they're above criticism.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The coach will always be the scapegoat.

But no coach would have made a substantial difference this season considering the goaltending.

They can fire AV & pretend coaching, not goaltending & overrated young players, is the biggest problem.

Or they can focus on fixing the roster in a full off-season, instead of bringing in a new coaching staff that has no first-hand experience & input regarding the roster, locker room issues, & other issues that need to be addressed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem this season has been primarily the goaltenders, the stats say it, the eyes say it.

It's not just that they've been awful, psychologically they've broke this team, how many times have you seen a goaltender start a game by giving up a softee or too and putting the team in a hole? I think this also explains a lot of the struggles of the young defenseman, when every mistake ends up in your net, you start pressing and playing too carefully.

There's some bad luck, not just Hart regressing, but Ustimenko gets injured, Sandstrom it seems only recently got healthy, Lyon has his injury woes, so there has been no viable alternative to take the load off Elliott.

The advanced metrics since Lake Tahoe suggest a top ten team, not a bottom feeder.
Which is why I don't think Fletcher will panic and make drastic moves, either with players or coaches.
Ghost will be exposed in the ED b/c Myers is younger, cheaper with a lot more upside.
He'll try to move JVR and/or Voracek to free up both roster spaces and cap room, and maybe make a trade to improve chemistry.
And he'll add a veteran RHD and a goalie.
As far as AV, if Scott doesn't push for him to go (and is willing to eat $15M), he'll get a shot with a full offseason and training camp to turn it around.

This team is adding a lot of talent internally next season, Frost, Allison and Laczynski (for a full season), Cates, York/Zamula. Maybe Foerster.
And LHV should have a loaded roster next year, we'll see who else signs an ELC for 2021-22.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cheers for your input here. I'd welcome a return of Brindy, his detail about staying in shape to his players would be great for this team. I don't know a bloody thing about Nelson, but I trust your opinion.

The fact of the matter is that Alain Vigneault and his staff were hired to coach the current team because the management group saw this team to be contenders. If they had better players to work with, I'm pretty sure Vigneault & Co. would look brilliant. What they have on this squad now are veteran players who've been here for awhile and they lack self direction and consistency. As the Captain recently claimed that the team isn't lazy. Umm, by making that statement is admitting that several members of the team ARE lazy Cload! My final statement is that Vigneault and his staff are fine coaches, but this is the wrong team for them, the talented players on this team are too young and need that mentoring, and the older players think they're above criticism.

Yikes

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
1. So after the coach said he dont care for these last games, the team played better and have had a better record.
2. Every young player who had come up played better than the young players that was up here in the season.
3. Ghost who was waived was our best dman after being waived (and in my eyes also before)

And yet some are defending this staff.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
21 games after Ghost cleared waivers:

Hagg CF 53.44%, CFrel -0.35, xGF 55.92%, xGFrel +2.70, HDCA/60, 8.48, pp/60: 0.91, xGF/60: 2.46, On-ice Sh 7.01%
Sanheim CF 56.24%, CFrel, +5.47, xGF 54.47%, xGFrel +3.88, HDCA/60: 8.35, pp/60: 0.61, xGF/60: 2.19, On-ice Sh 4.68%
Myers CF 53.76%, CFrel +1.76, xGF 52.91%, xGFrel +0.66, HDCA/60: 11.39, pp/60: 0.83, xGF/60: 2.47, On-ice Sh 8.55%
Provorov CF 51.77%, CFrel -1.71, xGF 52.37%, xGFrel +0.62, HDCA/60: 10.28, pp/60: 0.76, xGF/60: 2.31, On-ice Sh 8.46%
Ghost CF 54.51%, CFrel +3.99, xGF 52.06%, xGFrel +0.89, HDCA/60: 7.70, pp/60: 1.61, xGF/60: 2.02, On-ice Sh 11.25%
Braun CF 49.45%, CFrel -4.96, xGF 49.09%, xGFrel -4.24, HDCA/60: 10.09, pp/60: 0.55, xGF/60: 2.05, On-ice Sh 5.90%

Sanheim was clearly the best defenseman during that stretch.
Ghost was the best scorer, but not the best offense generator, his scoring was inflated by an unsustainable On-ice shooting %.
The primary change in Ghost's play was he was far less careless with the puck after he was put on waivers.

Ghost's 6.05 xGF/60 on the PP wasn't very good, though it was far better than Provorov's 3.40, both far below their season average, suggesting the PP struggles were due to other factors than the defensemen.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Eh, hes used to watching the EIHL, probably doesnt know any better.
That's very funny, but not true. I do watch the Elite Hockey League, my favourite team is the Fife Flyers, who've been around since the 1930's. Our league is nowhere as great as the NHL, and when Philadelphia named their team the Flyers I was in. That's when I was a lad, but I liked the fact that the best league in the world had a team called the Flyers.
I am 64 years old, and I've been rooting for the Philadelphia Flyers since 1967, even though most of my early contact with them was through my subscription to The Hockey News. I love the game, and yes, I also love football as well. I do know better when it comes to following hockey. The Flyers organisation really needs to establish a defense oriented playing style. I know most people find that sort of hockey to be boring and not as flashy, but with the prospects within the team, they have the groundwork done already,(thanks to former GM Ron Hextall, the last great goalie who played for the Flyers). What they need to do is acquire a top notch veteran defenseman via trade or free agency, then acquire a good back up goalie to share the load with Carter Hart, not another Elliot (who looks to be near retirement), but a good goalie in his late 20's or early 30's.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Cant wait for AV and his staff to return so he can criticize Allison next year and scratch him.
I picture a wasted year coming because they dont fire this clown now! and all the other coaches as well.

Flip pass for the home run!!!! Go get em Hayes. You da man!! Sit down ghost, you make my ivan look like crap on the powerplay. Hart! you are lazy!! Farabee do you need another press box time out? What about you Konecny? Want to sit also? Braun have your agent call right away. you are the MVP. Too bad we were the only team hit by covid and less practice time this season. Stupid Canadian players we not good enough!

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Sorry my friend, but i don't think talent is a problem with this team. I firmly believe the problems are systemic and psychological.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad