AV

Do you like AV as the Flyers coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Defends AV in one breath and then says this with another.

Absolutely brutal.

Im not defending AV. If they can get a better coach right now I am all for it. I am just not going to waste the energy getting angry that he hasnt been fired when the GM literally just said its not going to happen.

As for Hart, I dont know why people cant see the obvious. He has never started more than 40 games in a season. He has not shown he can be good consistently. Explain to me how he is a number 1 goalie.

.872 is not an NHL save%. Yeah, the team has sucked as had the D...but look at the D mason had to play behind...he never had this bad of a season.

I hope he bounces back, but hes got a lot to prove.

Reactions: tucson83

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can't see Scott eating $15M, and who is out there that's a clear upgrade, certainly not Gallent who can't last 3 years anywhere and is also a dinosaur (spurns analytics, loves physical veterans). Julien?

AV will get one more season to fix this, and it won't surprise me if he does. People say he rode Lundqvist in NY, but it was Torts who got Lundqvist HOF seasons, AV got the tail end, top five goalie at the beginning of his tenure, average goalie by the end. AV's Rangers outplayed Tort's Rangers. So he must have done something right.

But he won't get more than next season if he doesn't go deep into the playoffs.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Not every team was shutdown for two weeks bc of covid. The ones who were, many faced similar struggles. The Flyers are also in by far the toughest division. Both absolutely factored in here. There are definitely other reasons, and yes coaching is one of them, but you cant say the pandemic didnt factor in to where the team is.

If it werent for covid, its possible the Flyers would have gone even deeper in the playoffs last year and would be doing much better this season.

At the end of the day, this disaster of a season revealed some gaping holes. Hart is not a number 1 goalie and may not even be an nhl goalie. Provy cant be counted on as a number 1 D. Hayes is a 3c at best. Myers may not be a top 4 D.

Scott is going to give Fletcher this offseason to fix those holes. Fletcher is going to give AV next season to make it work. If the team fails, both will be gone.
I don't understand saying covid and the divisional opponents being serious factors in this season's mess, then defining players based on this season's performance. If that's not what your saying, sorry I misunderstood

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@Striiker bet you feel fairly justified at this point. Eh?

It's certainly been amusing to see the people who argued with me all last year when I was criticizing the staff, suddenly start bashing the exact things I criticized and they defended, since the problems have continued happening but the team is now losing instead of winning. It's almost like we could see this coming and explicitly stated that even if a glaring problem isn't losing you games yet, you still fix it as soon as possible because it'll cost you eventually. "It doesn't matter, it's working" is never a valid argument. Everything matters. Everything matters. Everything matters. :laugh:

I'd be nice if we could have at least learned a lesson out of all this, about judging players and coaches based on the process instead of strictly the end results, like team record. But clearly we haven't.

Somehow I went from one of the few people who are willing to point out problems when the team was winning (lots of people saw it, but I was the only one dumb enough to constantly engage with the masses) to being one of the few who's pointing out that not everything is bad when the team is losing. People just bounce from one extreme to the other... it's crazy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The difference is it is only AVs second season...and in his first season he got the team further than they have been in a decade. Heat turned up on Hextall because he stuck with hak for years despite the team never getting better.

So in the eyes of management, AV had one good season and one awful one, and both were under a cloud of an unprecidented global pandemic.

Not saying AV should be immune to criticism, but those of you expecting him to be fired already are going to be disappointed. A coach like AV is going to get a longer leash.

That being said, this year should shorten that leash. If the team struggles early next year, then I think AV will be fired.

AV is so thoroughly established and known that he should have a shorter leash, especially when he falls into all the habits that brought failure in the past.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Holmgren was bold with moving Richards and Carter and had to be done despite the chortles from those protecting those two especially druggie Richards. Problem was how Holmgren followed it up with the disastrous signings of Bryz, AMac, Lecadaverlier, getting Luke Schenn, etc etc

It had to be done due to Homer's incompetence.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

AV criticizes player - throwing him under the Bus
AV praises player - throwing other player under the Bus

I think AV was just trying to deflect blame for Elliott, knowing they're asking too much of him.
We all have eyes, we know that was a terrible performance.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I think AV was just trying to deflect blame for Elliott, knowing they're asking too much of him.

If your attempt to deflect blame from a veteran is a quote where you basically hint The team cares more about games they dont have young promising goalie behind them, you are probably not the greatest motivator in the world.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I don't understand saying covid and the divisional opponents being serious factors in this season's mess, then defining players based on this season's performance. If that's not what your saying, sorry I misunderstood

I think as a team, those things were factors. Its a really competative division, so the Flyers got put at a disadvantage early with covid as did buffalo and NJ. When things start to go bad, you look at your best players to right the ship. The forwards did, the D n G didnt. So i think covid started the downfall, and then your young D core and goalie dont rise the challenge, things just get worse.

Im not judging them based only on tbis season...Provy has played like a number at times and other times he hasnt...same with Hart. The fact that neither rose to the occasion when the team needed them most concerns me. I just dont think you can count on either to be top guys moving forward until they prove it.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I think as a team, those things were factors. Its a really competative division, so the Flyers got put at a disadvantage early with covid as did buffalo and NJ. When things start to go bad, you look at your best players to right the ship. The forwards did, the D n G didnt. So i think covid started the downfall, and then your young D core and goalie dont rise the challenge, things just get worse.

Im not judging them based only on tbis season...Provy has played like a number at times and other times he hasnt...same with Hart. The fact that neither rose to the occasion when the team needed them most concerns me. I just dont think you can count on either to be top guys moving forward until they prove it.
Thanks for clarifying

Reactions: Adam Warlock

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Didn't see this posted anywhere. I know it's the NY Post but still:
We’re hearing that it is no sure thing at all that Alain Vigneault will return for his third season in Philadelphia next year. Hasn’t 2020-21 in Philly smelled a lot like 2017-18 in New York? And if not Vigneault, who in the organization is going to answer for the debacle that became Carter Hart?

That is the only mention of it, if you don't want to click.

Larry Brooks - Slap Shots: Boston Bruins' snub of Frank Brimsek is ridiculous

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It wouldn't surprise me to see AV get canned and Bruce Boudreau be brought in as his replacement. Not saying that that is what I'd do but BB and Fletcher have history and BB is not bad with younger players. He can scheme away from their weaknesses.

I'll have no hope for the playoffs but in theory it'll be a fun regular season.

I'm afraid of what it would take to lure him out of comfort though. No more five year contracts please.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Uh ohhhh. Thats three news outlets that have stated AV is on the hot seat.

Fletcher can literally save his job with a strong offseason and firing literally the entire coaching crew.

This fanbase is utterly desperate for a real move of intent after 10 years of mediocrity. Do it Fletch!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad