OT: Autographs/Hockey Cards Thread

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
As some of you might know from some of my posts, I like to collect autographs in the mail. Instead of mucking up the Misc NHL Talk thread every time I get something back I decided to just make a new thread for this sort of thing. I know not everyone's into autograph collecting but I'd like to encourage anyone who has anything they'd like to show off to do so as well; this thread doesn't have to just be about my escapades. At some point I'll show off some of the better players' autographs I've pulled from packs, but at this point I'm just gonna show off the ones I've gotten through the mail and my Flyers collection.

I'll start by showing off every autograph I've gotten in the mail since I started collecting in February 2012. Most of these are from 2014 and before because I took a very long break in between mailing letters. In each instance, I sent c/o the team the player was currently playing or working for. As you'll see, I really targeted the Flyers and Caps pretty hard early on.

Scan_0007.jpg

Scan_0008.jpg

Scan_0009.jpg

(I pulled the Hall from a pack, didn't get it through the mail, just forgot to remove it from the sleeve before scanning) Lots of these guys I got through their AHL teams during the lockout. OEL, Saad, Gus, Nyquist, Markstrom (back when he was still a top prospect).

Scan_0010.jpg

Scan_0011.jpg

Kane was also pulled from a pack, I just thought it was a cool one and probably one of the best I have.

Scan_0012.jpg

Bottom middle is Eric Fehr. His signature is on the bottom right of the card and it got cut off by the scan.

Scan_0013.jpg

Schultz was the last one I got back before I started again this season. Everyone from Niederreiter on was gotten this season. I've also gotten Knuble, Matt Tkachuk, Wennberg, and TVR this year but I've already posted about them in other threads.

Today I heard back from Mike Sgarbossa of the Hershey Bears. Sent it last Tuesday, so it was a very quick eight-day turnaround.
mike sgarbossa.jpg

Next post will be Flyers collection. But like I said, everyone feel free to show off any cool autographs you all have, if you collect. (Mods, feel free to remove or lock if you feel this is a dumb thread idea. Just didn't wanna clutter up other threads with this kind of stuff anymore.)

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Flyers collection: these are all the Flyers autos, current and former, that I've gotten either in person at various Carnivals or bought online/pulled from packs. Should be easy to tell which ones are certified autos and which were gotten at the Carnival. Not as many here as the last post.
Scan_0014.jpg

Scan_0015.jpg

I have other guys I'll probably scan at some point, like Peter Forsberg, that I pulled from packs but wasn't actively searching for. All the certified autos here were ones I was actively looking for online and bought.

At the first Carnival I ever went to, I got Richards, Turner Stevenson, Brian Savage, and Derian Hatcher's autos, but I'm not 100% sure where those cards are.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Good stuff!

My Flyers auto collection includes..

• signed LeClair card and hat
  • stick signed by almost the entire 1990 team
  • signed Giroux 8x10 photo
  • Flyers trash can signed by Coburn and Timonen.
  • Puck signed by Recchi
  • Inside page of the book Full Spectrum signed by Gagne, Recchi, Zelepukin, and more.
  • Jersey signed by Gagne, Asham, Parent, Schultz, and Kelly.
  • Jersey signed by Boucher

That might just about do it.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I especially like the ones where the players write "To Jeremy" :)

Also, why does Jake's signature looke like Ves Joey :laugh:
Those are my favorites too. A while back I started adding in my letters, in a PS, that the player is free to personalize the card if he wants to. It makes it that much more personal and more often than not shows that the player actually took time to read the letter I wrote him. I think including the personalization request also shows the player that I'm not looking to sell the autograph because I actually want my name on it. There are some guys who personalize to everyone, like Tavares, but it's still really nice imo. A lot of the guys I sent to a while back, like Grossmann and a bunch of the AHLers, probably don't get a lot of fan mail so I like to think that getting a letter and autograph request makes their day :laugh:

Phil Myers and Alex Wennberg actually wrote me short notes back, which I posted in other threads before. Those are definitely two of my favorite ones.

Good stuff!

My Flyers auto collection includes..

• signed LeClair card and hat
  • stick signed by almost the entire 1990 team
  • signed Giroux 8x10 photo
  • Flyers trash can signed by Coburn and Timonen.
  • Puck signed by Recchi
  • Inside page of the book Full Spectrum signed by Gagne, Recchi, Zelepukin, and more.
  • Jersey signed by Gagne, Asham, Parent, Schultz, and Kelly.
  • Jersey signed by Boucher

That might just about do it.
Yeah, I'd love to get some more of those 70s and 90s guys that you mentioned. Some of them are apparently reachable through their homes (like LeClair) but I'm not comfortable at all sending mail to a stranger's house. It'll probably be easier to buy those online.

I got Clarke (and Hextall) c/o the Flyers address. Clarke is apparently still reachable through there but charges a $25 donation to a juvenile diabetes charity now, which he didn't when I got his autograph.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Couple more Flyers ones that I didn't actively pursue
20190213_194652.jpg

Bernie Parent signed puck- not sure if it's a real autograph or not. Got it as part of a birthday package at the first Flyers game I went to back in 2007.

20190213_194702.jpg

Rod Brind'Amour and Reggie Leach, pulled from packs of 2012-13 Panini Classics

20190213_194709.jpg

Mike Keenan, pulled from a pack of 2006-07 Upper Deck Parkhurst

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I don’t have a photo of it at the moment, but I won a raffle at a game when I was 7 and got Rod Brind’Amours’s stick signed by the three captains, Brind’Amour, Lindros, Desjardins. I am not an autograph guy at all now, but that was a treasured childhood possession.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
When I head home in a week or two, I'll throw up some scans of stuff. I used to send for autographs through the mail a little bit as well!

My biggest scores (on the tough signer scale) are probably Ovechkin and Lemieux.

Ovie was when he was a prospect still and Lemieux was just lucky -- I'm convinced he sent me back mine because he was seeing if I'd sell them (he signed them in green ink...have never seen that before).

Lots of Flyers ones (well, maybe 20-30 or so) like Knuble, Hatcher, Briere, Hartnell, Downie, Coburn, etc.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Jvr made a cursive J and drew a line next to it and called it a day lmao

The 21 looks more like a 71 than 21.

And he could totally get away with just signing JVR

Some of those guys have nice handwriting though. Definitely more of the older guys. What does hexys say above his signature?

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Jvr made a cursive J and drew a line next to it and called it a day lmao

The 21 looks more like a 71 than 21.

And he could totally get away with just signing JVR

Some of those guys have nice handwriting though. Definitely more of the older guys. What does hexys say above his signature?
JVR's actually isn't the worst I have. I pulled Oliver Kylington's auto a couple years ago and... see for yourself.
20190215_072627.jpg

Not mine but Nicklas Jensen and Matt Nieto have pretty bad ones too.
92058-9885184Fr.jpg

2013-14-Upper-Deck-The-Cup-RAP-177-Matt-Nieto-211x300.jpg

(Nieto's is like a little kid trying to draw an ocean in his picture... lol)

Compare to some other older guys I have...
20190215_074307.jpg

20190215_073958.jpg

20190215_074319.jpg

Re: Hexy: Every person I've ever seen get an autograph in the mail from him has that pseudo-personalization and I don't think I've ever seen anyone decipher exactly what it says. To me it looks like it starts as "best wishes" and just kinda trails off into cursive nonsense.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
As some of you might know from some of my posts, I like to collect autographs in the mail. Instead of mucking up the Misc NHL Talk thread every time I get something back I decided to just make a new thread for this sort of thing. I know not everyone's into autograph collecting but I'd like to encourage anyone who has anything they'd like to show off to do so as well; this thread doesn't have to just be about my escapades. At some point I'll show off some of the better players' autographs I've pulled from packs, but at this point I'm just gonna show off the ones I've gotten through the mail and my Flyers collection.

I'll start by showing off every autograph I've gotten in the mail since I started collecting in February 2012. Most of these are from 2014 and before because I took a very long break in between mailing letters. In each instance, I sent c/o the team the player was currently playing or working for. As you'll see, I really targeted the Flyers and Caps pretty hard early on.

View attachment 186387

View attachment 186389

View attachment 186391
(I pulled the Hall from a pack, didn't get it through the mail, just forgot to remove it from the sleeve before scanning) Lots of these guys I got through their AHL teams during the lockout. OEL, Saad, Gus, Nyquist, Markstrom (back when he was still a top prospect).

View attachment 186393

View attachment 186395
Kane was also pulled from a pack, I just thought it was a cool one and probably one of the best I have.

View attachment 186397
Bottom middle is Eric Fehr. His signature is on the bottom right of the card and it got cut off by the scan.

View attachment 186399
Schultz was the last one I got back before I started again this season. Everyone from Niederreiter on was gotten this season. I've also gotten Knuble, Matt Tkachuk, Wennberg, and TVR this year but I've already posted about them in other threads.

Today I heard back from Mike Sgarbossa of the Hershey Bears. Sent it last Tuesday, so it was a very quick eight-day turnaround.
View attachment 186401

Next post will be Flyers collection. But like I said, everyone feel free to show off any cool autographs you all have, if you collect. (Mods, feel free to remove or lock if you feel this is a dumb thread idea. Just didn't wanna clutter up other threads with this kind of stuff anymore.)

Wow, that's incredible. What a collection! My name is Jeremy too (which is cool, I rarely meet another).

This means I can take all your personalized cast offs :sarcasm:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
2012 I got into collecting cards again, and stopped collecting right after, after realizing how much money they cost now.
I was getting into box breaks for Flyers, and thought that one of the Stone brothers were going to be good and the Coyotes were the cheaper buy in.
As you can tell I’m a huge horror fan as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->