Auto-Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
First I have to say this is not my Idea it's emile one but we don't know where he is and hehad a great idea so to not kill this i decided to continue it but if he return I will give him all the list i receive and let him run the mock draft

I'm looking for 29 people who have enough knowledge of the draft pool to be able to submit an ordered list of 90-120 (or more) players. I will take the lists, and drafting instructions, and make a 3-4 round mock on this board.

The fun here is in the slight unpredictability and in not having to wait a month for people to make their picks. If people can make a list in a week or so, then the draft can commence immediately. What's more, if the same people want to, we can continue to tinker with and expand the lists and do longer follow-up drafts every month, until maybe doing a full 9-round mock right before the draft. It takes a little effort and some guesswork, but I made a 150 player list in about an hour. The CSB rankings have over 400 players alone, so its not too bad.

So, first come first serve to choose a team

Instructions can be simple (for example)
*No more than 3 wings in the draft
*At least 3 European players
*A defenseman must be taken by round 3

Or more complex (for example)
*One or two defenseman in the first three rounds, and between two and four for the total draft
*One and only one goaltender to be taken by round five, a second may only be taken in rounds 8 or 9 if they are on a different continent than the one already taken.
(you can specify things like power forwards and skill defensemen, and I will judge them based on their size only as compared to the average. - definitions like 'sniper' can't be used because I can't guarantee that I know the skills of every player in the draft)

Etc. - You can build your instructions into the player rankings (ie Pittsburgh might put Marek Schwarz in the third round, because thats how far he'd have to fall before they'd take him. Or they can submit instructions to have the same effect). Obviously the instructions are geared to prevent teams from drafting 3 goalies, or 7 defenseman. I will follow the lists and instructions *exactly*, so make them sensible or look silly.

There are no trades (obviously), and the draft order will be based on the standings whenever I do the draft. Traded picks will be distributed as per the excellent website which can be linked from the main NHL discussion section.

I probably made the initial post overly complicated. If there is no instructions, I will select the best player available from your list. However, if you have too many instructions, you might miss a good player who is sliding. I guess it mirrors the real draft somewhat in the different strategies that teams use (draft for need, or just draft talent). I imagine that it might take a try or two for everyone to get their drafting strategies down.

Another rule - all players listed as eligible by CSB are eligible, regardless of opt-in status, until they are known to not have opted in. So Thelen, O'Neill, Pineault etc are fair game for now.
One team per person, sign up now.

TEAMS
Anaheim -
Atlanta - VernonForrest
Boston - Swervedriver
Buffalo - eSabre
Calgary - Avalanche 26
Carolina - emile
Chicago - HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN
Colorado - TopGun
Columbus - cvandenburg
Dallas -
Detroit - Rather Gingerly 1*
Edmonton - Seachd
Florida - Jaded-Fan
Los Angeles - emile
Minnesota - Cayouche5*
Montreal - Cayouche5
Nashville - Brock*
New Jersey Devils - JasonMacIsaac
New York Islanders - JNRhockeyGURU
New York Rangers - Rather Gingerly 1
Ottawa - PrussianBlue*
Philadelphia - JasonMacIsaac
Phoenix - Dan
Pittsburgh - Jaded-Fan
Saint Louis - Prussian Blue
San Jose - X-Sharkie
Tampa Bay - TopGun12
Toronto - Brock
Vancouver - Fedz
Washington - Balej

*2nd team so they are available to someone who don't have any team yet.

Last edited:

emile

Mar 12, 2003
dead in a ditch
Visit site
Thanks to Cayouche5 for making this work. I gave up a little to soon I guess. Nice to see a lot of the well-known draft fans interested.

Give me Carolina - that puts us at 15 teams. Maybe everyone should grab a second team, so we can do an initial draft - and then give out people's secondary teams as new people become interested in joining in :dunno: .

Or maybe just wait a little longer, and see if more people sign up.

Also add cvandenburg as Columbus, and did Duff88 ever sign up for a team?

Last edited:

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
emile said:
Thanks to Cayouche5 for making this work. I gave up a little to soon I guess. Nice to see a lot of the well-known draft fans interested.

Give me Carolina - that puts us at 15 teams. Maybe everyone should grab a second team, so we can do an initial draft - and then give out people's secondary teams as new people become interested in joining in :dunno: .

Or maybe just wait a little longer, and see if more people sign up.

Also add cvandenburg as Columbus, and did Duff88 ever sign up for a team?
I'll add cvandenburg and No Duff did not sign up, too bad... Also Colorado is available

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Cayouche5,

I'm too lazy to mess with e-mail... :rolly: ...so I'll reply here. I'm definitely in as mock GM for the Blues, and if we end up taking a second team, I'll take the Coyotes.

Thanks,

PrussianBlue

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
PrussianBlue said:
Cayouche5,

I'm too lazy to mess with e-mail... :rolly: ...so I'll reply here. I'm definitely in as mock GM for the Blues, and if we end up taking a second team, I'll take the Coyotes.

Thanks,

PrussianBlue
Good :yo:
So make your list for the blues and that to me than me and emile we'll see if 1 or 2 teams will be O.k.

emile

Mar 12, 2003
dead in a ditch
Visit site
It seems like interest has peaked again for the time being. If it's okay with Cayouche5, I think we should all take a second team so we can try this out. Hopefully, once it gets going more people will come in to take over the second teams.

Let's say have lists to Cayouche5 or me by April 1, then I'll post the mock right after the draft lottery. For your second team, you don't need a brand new list, just make separate drafting instructions. Also, let's try for 100 player lists - that should ensure a 4-round mock.

If we can pull this off, we can look to do another one in May and a final one in June that could hopefully be 9 rounds.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PrussianBlue said:
Cayouche5,

Thanks,

PrussianBlue
With PrussianBlue and Cayouche5's permission, I'll take on the Coyotes. That's if you have not already set it in stone. Sorry, just seeing this.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Dan said:
With PrussianBlue and Cayouche5's permission, I'll take on the Coyotes. That's if you have not already set it in stone. Sorry, just seeing this.
It's Ok with me ... just ask Prussian Blue if he wants to change teams

emile

Mar 12, 2003
dead in a ditch
Visit site
Let's try for lists in by April 1, with the mock to be posted right after the lottery. This is going to be hard to keep together, harder than I had thought - but if we can get one done, I think it will get easier.

I think Dan should have Phoenix. It will work better if everyone has just one team, so I think any new person should be able to take someone's second team. PrussianBlue, is there another team you would like?

emile

Mar 12, 2003
dead in a ditch
Visit site
To help with the lists, here are some links to stats of European players. I assume everyone knows about the CSB site and the various North American junior league sites.

*Czech Republic* - go to hokej.cz. To see junior stats, click on "mladez" and then "statistiky" on the menu on the right (http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?lng=CZ&webid=246&akce=statistiky&ids=195). There is a pulldown menu that will say "reprezentace - 20 - 03/04" - pull that down and switch it ELJ A or ELJ B (the two top junior tiers). The default is all positions, you can pull down there to change to goalies, forwards, or defensemen. To see the stats of junior players in the Extraliga, or other adult leagues, click Extraliga, then Statistiky, then change the "Junior" pulldown on the right to say 'junior'. In all cases, 'Vyhledat' is the button to select.

*Slovakia* - For junior stats, click on http://hokej.point.sk/liga_exj/stats.php. It has English, so it's easy to manage. Extraliga stats are at http://hokej.point.sk/extraliga/stats.php.

*Finland* - go to http://www.finhockey.fi/tulospalvelu. Click the link to the league you want. The junior stats are under "A-Nuorten SM Liiga", and you can also click to the "Mestis" (second division), which has a few prospects playing in it as well. Regular season stats are under "Runkosarja" - you can look at each teams stats by clicking "Joukkueiden pistepörssit", and then the team you are interested in. To look at SM-Liiga stats, go to jatkoaika.com, and click SM-liiga, click the team you want under "joukkueet", and then click "tilastot" to look at team stats. "pistepörssi" is a scorers list.

*Sweden* - http://stats.swehockey.se/ - mostly in English, so easy to manage, although Eliteprospects already has a pretty comprehensive guide. Click on Divisions, and choose J20 SuperElit for juniors and Elitserien or Allsvenskan for adult leagues.

*Russia* - Man, if anyone knows a good Russian site with junior and senior stats, I would love to know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->