Authentication error

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Trying to connect to wifi I get this error.

I'm using a Samsung A5. My buddy using an iPhone 8, or 9 (newer, but not the newest) connects no problem. Others with older iPhones can't.

All he does is type in his username and password and boom.

Me, I have those same options, plus the ability to see EAP method (whatever that is) and then Phase 2 Authentication.

I assume the problem must be there in phase 2 where his newer phone automatically picked the right one, while mine just picks the top in the list and I have to find the correct one ? Weekend, so no IT. You guys are probably better than him anyways.

Edit: when the password is correct will say it's wrong and also says credentials not valid.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Try setting Phase 2 Authentication to None and then trying with EAP method set to one of the top few options, which are the most common.

@aleshemsky83 It's an enterprise WiFi network, so he can't change anything about it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Try setting Phase 2 Authentication to None and then trying with EAP method set to one of the top few options, which are the most common.

@aleshemsky83 It's an enterprise WiFi network, so he can't change anything about it.

I have

EAP Method
PEAP
TLS
TTLA
PWD
SIM
AKA
AKA'
FAST
LEAP

Phase 2
MSCHAPV2
GTC
SIM
AKA
AKA'

CA Certificate - Don't validate.

Not sure if that helps, or just means wait and ask IT.

My buddy just simply clicks on it and signs in and it works for him on his iPhone. Not sure if it's somehow set up for iPhones only?

Doesn't even ask him to pick anything else.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have

EAP Method
PEAP
TLS
TTLA
PWD
SIM
AKA
AKA'
FAST
LEAP

Phase 2
MSCHAPV2
GTC
SIM
AKA
AKA'

CA Certificate - Don't validate.

Not sure if that helps, or just means wait and ask IT.

My buddy just simply clicks on it and signs in and it works for him on his iPhone. Not sure if it's somehow set up for iPhones only?

Doesn't even ask him to pick anything else.

PEAP and TLS are the most common EAP methods and MSCHAPv2 is the most common authentication method (which is why they're all at the top). Try combinations of those, if you haven't yet.

No, the network wouldn't be set up for iPhones only. Newer iPhones may've been configured by your IT department with a profile or certificate to allow easy authentication, though. Other devices should still be able to connect, but by supplying all of the configuration data manually.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
PEAP and TLS are the most common EAP methods and MSCHAPv2 is the most common authentication method (which is why they're all at the top). Try combinations of those, if you haven't yet.

No, the network wouldn't be set up for iPhones only. Newer iPhones may've been configured by your IT department with a profile or certificate to allow easy authentication, though. Other devices should still be able to connect, but by supplying all of the configuration data manually.

Thanks for your help. Tried a combination, but didn't work. Going to give my info to my buddy and see if he can sign on through his iPhone. Wouldn't surprise me if the IT didn't set something up, or didn't set up my profile right.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Thanks for your help. Tried a combination, but didn't work. Going to give my info to my buddy and see if he can sign on through his iPhone. Wouldn't surprise me if the IT didn't set something up, or didn't set up my profile right.

Is it happening on any wifi network, or just the network at your work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad