Australia draws 20,000 for ice hockey! Amazing!

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
They need to have an outdoor hockey game in Sweden and draw 70K+!

My first thought was an SHL finals game between Djurgården and AIK, or an SHL finals game between Djurgården and Leksand, where the tickets are fairly cheap. Probably the only scenarios where the event would have a slight chance of selling 70k tickets.

The tickets would probably have to be so cheap they wouldn't make a profit from the event. The difference is there's no real point for such an event here. Hockey is already in a good spot. It's far behind football but far ahead of all other team sports.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
My first thought was an SHL finals game between Djurgården and AIK, or an SHL finals game between Djurgården and Leksand, where the tickets are fairly cheap. Probably the only scenarios where the event would have a slight chance of selling 70k tickets.

The tickets would probably have to be so cheap they wouldn't make a profit from the event.

I didn't know there are venues with a capacity of 70k in Sweden.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I didn't know there are venues with a capacity of 70k in Sweden.

Friends arena can take 50k for football, could probably squeeze in a couple of thousand extra seats that will be beyond terrible ground level for hockey? :dunno: :laugh:

H382

Oct 20, 2006
I wonder how many NHL "capable" players there would be if hockey was big in Australia and other parts of the world. The next Gretzky could be out there not even able to skate.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but when I say capable, I mean if the person had hockey roots and proper training.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
And that's what I said.

I guess it would similar to the movie Million Dollar Arm.

That movie makes no sense! Those guys couldn't even stay in the big leagues. They played a few games and but couldn't even play ONE full season. One guy is out of baseball and the other guy is in the minors.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
We had a similar thing to this in New Zealand a few years back. It was a 3 game series which were all sellouts I'm pretty sure. The Auckland game sold out at about 12,000 people and had a few ex-NHL players. Kyle Quincey was supposed to be apart of it but was "injured" so he just got the crowd going. I also got to meet John Grayham which was pretty sweet as a Lightning fan.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Finally they can start playing a real sport and give up on that weird made-up football game of theirs!

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us!

27fd1a0ca14211e3a11d0e6c86f41f67_6.jpg

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Man, if there was a NHL game played in Australia I'd be across the ditch in seconds. I'm sure a few other kiwis would too.

Perhaps two NHL teams could come to an agreement with a sponsor to get a regular season game played there each year. A few years back one of our big Rugby teams was without a home stadium for an entire season because of an earthquake, and they played one regular season game against a South African team at Twickenham, the most popular Rugby stadium in England. It was a sell out. Now, this was no doubt easier to do because of the large population of NZ expats in London and the established Rugby following. But if hockey games have already drawn big crowds in Australia, a regular fixture like this could be really appealing, popular, and perhaps get more people there into hockey.

The All Blacks played a rugby game against USA at a jam packed Soldier Field in Chicago. The game sold out in minutes. Beat them 74-6. A lot of people here complained that it was a pointless match, but the scoreline wasn't the point, rather to raise awareness of the sport and expand the game globally. A respectable North American team playing the best Australia can muster could also have the same effect, get more people down under following the sport, increasing demand, participation etc. It's not as easy as taking a game like Rugby to the states because all you need for that is a ball and some grass, but it could be done.

Hockey is expensive as hell to play so it won't become the next big thing, but giving something closer to home for south of the equator fans to enjoy would be incredible.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Maybe that New Zealand rugby game got some attention in Chicago but it got ZERO attention nationally. I never even heard about except for going to the Hawks site.

Rugby will never be big here because the NFL would never allow it! It's just that simple.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Nor will hockey get big here. The aim isn't to usurp the major sporting code, but to improve the quality of variety.

No1TopGun

Jan 26, 2011
Melbourne
First off Australia's Ice Hockey federation is over 100 years old so the game isn't new here its just been a very niche sport. American sports in general have caught on big time in Australia. We've already had a MLB game here and honestly I don't think the NHL should be too far away. (BTW an NFL game could easily sell out the MCG here in Melbourne (100,000 capacity stadium)).

Also our national league has exploded the last few years with new teams coming into the league and more media coverage. I believe these are the major things that have contributed to the success of these "International Ice Hockey" games down under. Definitely not a one off as some people are suggesting and the games never been stronger.

LedgerSko

Mar 30, 2015
First off Australia's Ice Hockey federation is over 100 years old so the game isn't new here its just been a very niche sport. American sports in general have caught on big time in Australia. We've already had a MLB game here and honestly I don't think the NHL should be too far away. (BTW an NFL game could easily sell out the MCG here in Melbourne (100,000 capacity stadium)).

Also our national league has exploded the last few years with new teams coming into the league and more media coverage. I believe these are the major things that have contributed to the success of these "International Ice Hockey" games down under. Definitely not a one off as some people are suggesting and the games never been stronger.

How far do you think the game could grow in the next 5-10 years?

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Germany pulled 70k for a game! Hockey must be king there!

God that was so awesome when that happened. Seemed like the ultimate outdoor game ever!

Remember that the American players said that on ice communication was impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad