Proposal: Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
why is no one suggesting Toronto trade Austin Matthews?

ok... I know I already said enough to condemn me to burning at the stake and then tossing the ashes into the deepest pits of hell but let me try to finish my thought

Toronto just signed for 'free' his replacement. for all the Matthews walks on water propaganda we hear here... Tavares will be able to do what Matthews could do for the next few years anyhow.

so... some ask... whats my point?

do those people forget that Matthews was complaining about icetime/linemates last year BEFORE Tavares was ever signed? do they forget that the coach had to make a personal trip out to Matthews to appease him? Matthews as a 21 year old kid is already showing signs that he wants to manage/coach the team... and that never flies well

also comes the question of cap hit... there are no teams successful at this point and time that are paying 2 players 11 mill each. maybe in 3-4 years it might change if the cap keeps going up but do Toronto fans want to wait 3-4 years and cross their fingers?

theres a deeper problem with the cap too... if Matthews gets 11 mill then its very hard to tell marner to take less than 9. if 22 mill for 2 players doesn't work then you can see 31 mill for 3 players is even more difficult

how important is it to have both Tavares and Matthews? people thought Matthews by himself would be enough... but theres other holes on the team. holes in the depth chart and specifically on defense

so... back to my original question. why isn't anyone considering to trade Matthews? this is a trade forum where we toss out proposals so ill do one here.

the trade is with Arizona for rather obvious reasons

Austin Matthews
for
Dylan storm
oliver ekmund Larsson

Dylan storm seems to be developing into someone that will do just fine in a second line role for years to come... and will be much more manageable for a cap hit. Larsson is obviously the much needed 1-2 punch with morgan riley Toronto would need to take the next step into cup contention

this trade allows Toronto to keep both marner and nylander and probably negotiate better with them.

of course Toronto might ask for more... Matthews is special. im not slamming him. just wondering why no one sees him as the guy that might move instead of nylander or marner

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One, this is insane. Two, why would we trade Matthews for a package built around a LHD (a position we are actually strong at). Three, you messed up both Arizona players names. Finally, good luck Arizona dealing with future negoiations if you just sign a guy to an 8 year extension and trade him the year before his NMC kicks in.

Tavares does not impact Matthews ice-time. The issue was powerplay-usage. Tavares may push the Leafs towards a stacked 1st unit PP rather than the 1a/1b set-up we currently have, which would in-effect increase Matthews ice-time.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
a matthews trade thread would be locked shortly after it would be made

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
why is no one suggesting Toronto trade Austin Matthews?

ok... I know I already said enough to condemn me to burning at the stake and then tossing the ashes into the deepest pits of hell but let me try to finish my thought

Toronto just signed for 'free' his replacement. for all the Matthews walks on water propaganda we hear here... Tavares will be able to do what Matthews could do for the next few years anyhow.

so... some ask... whats my point?

do those people forget that Matthews was complaining about icetime/linemates last year BEFORE Tavares was ever signed? do they forget that the coach had to make a personal trip out to Matthews to appease him? Matthews as a 21 year old kid is already showing signs that he wants to manage/coach the team... and that never flies well

also comes the question of cap hit... there are no teams successful at this point and time that are paying 2 players 11 mill each. maybe in 3-4 years it might change if the cap keeps going up but do Toronto fans want to wait 3-4 years and cross their fingers?

theres a deeper problem with the cap too... if Matthews gets 11 mill then its very hard to tell marner to take less than 9. if 22 mill for 2 players doesn't work then you can see 31 mill for 3 players is even more difficult

how important is it to have both Tavares and Matthews? people thought Matthews by himself would be enough... but theres other holes on the team. holes in the depth chart and specifically on defense

so... back to my original question. why isn't anyone considering to trade Matthews? this is a trade forum where we toss out proposals so ill do one here.

the trade is with Arizona for rather obvious reasons

Austin Matthews
for
Dylan storm
oliver ekmund Larsson

Dylan storm seems to be developing into someone that will do just fine in a second line role for years to come... and will be much more manageable for a cap hit. Larsson is obviously the much needed 1-2 punch with morgan riley Toronto would need to take the next step into cup contention

this trade allows Toronto to keep both marner and nylander and probably negotiate better with them.

of course Toronto might ask for more... Matthews is special. im not slamming him. just wondering why no one sees him as the guy that might move instead of nylander or marner
Because that would be a really stupid thing to do?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don’t know why these trade threads are insta locks in leafs fans eyes. Gretzky got traded (cough cough sold), but nonetheless, crazier things have happened.

It’d be a high price tag tho. And OP you also butched Arizona’s players names. Plus Arizona doesn’t really have the assets so it make sense.

It’d have to be like:
Eichel
Barkov+
Mackinnon++
Draisaitl +++
Pastrnak + McAvoy

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Our GM already came out and said they’re keeping the core 4 one way or another.

Reactions: uncleben

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I don’t know why these trade threads are insta locks in leafs fans eyes. Gretzky got traded (cough cough sold), but nonetheless, crazier things have happened.

It’d be a high price tag tho. And OP you also butched Arizona’s players names. Plus Arizona doesn’t really have the assets so it make sense.

It’d have to be like:
Eichel
Barkov+
Mackinnon++
Draisaitl +++
Pastrnak + McAvoy

Yeah several of these players are as valuable or more valuable than Matthews...this isn't McDavid were talking about

As to the OP...I mean there are no words

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011

It’d have to be like:
Eichel
Barkov+
Mackinnon++
Draisaitl +++
Pastrnak + McAvoy
I agree anything can happen, but the Gretzky trade was a whole different era + before salary cap, etc.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Matthews threads are fair game, but coming out and admitting from the start it's a hot take and outlandish is not gonna get the conversation going far.

Discuss the value of the player and potential value of return.

Also, in the future, we have no need to mock people's spelling of words or names.
C'mon folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad