Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round V (MOD WARNING: BEHAVE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I love both. Apples and oranges and I pick both to my fruit basket. As should any team.

Compiling a team should start from a franchise D. When you have that developing, you still get to pick high, next one is a franchise center, once you have that developing you have a maximum of two more seasons until these picks start paying dividends in the league standings, and within these seasons you need to pick the wingers.

Well, basically you could start with a goalie and then go through this list, but since it is a crapshoot, you could end up picking goalies through a decade and not one panning out.

But you need both. A Matthews with a Laine. And I think many team USA fans would like seeing Matthews with a similar level goal scoring winger as Laine in this tournament.

I would have loved to see Edmonton pick in the top 2. If they picked 1st that could have seen Laine go first. (the BPA at first glance seems like it's Matthews, but there are some things that make the future a bit hazy, like Laine's crazy development curve after getting through that injury. Also, picking BPA isn't always the right way to go with the highest picks as you can't always rely on the trade value being the real value).

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
How much would Winnipeg add to get the #1 pick?

Barb Underhill may be able to fix Laine's atrocious skating

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Woah, anyone who thinks that Laine is one dimensional goal scorer after the FEL playoffs and especially after these last two games have read (and bought in) too many TSN articles or choose to be blind to the present. Right now he's been the best player for Finland that holds punch excellent NHL players and veterans.

So far Laine is the point leader in the competition and has shown immense maturity, hockey smarts and awed million hockey fans. He is the most talented guy in this draft, and it's not because of his shot. It's because he knows to make the right decisions 99% of the time with absolute world class hockey sense, which also enables him to use that powerful shot we're already got accustomed to.

Believe all the articles you like and more importantly, don't even think of tuning into the channel if you know he is playing. The best way to keep conscience clear when you try talk him down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Many of you are now back in the conversation after being removed from the last thread.

I'd recommend reading the thread title carefully. This is a zero-tolerance thread, and those of you who think you know how to carefully walk the line probably don't.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
How much would Winnipeg add to get the #1 pick?

Nah we're good with whoever is available with the 2nd pick, just excited to be at the dance. Really can't go wrong with either pick.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

Only atrocious thing there might be the first couple of steps. His overall skating is way underrated. Can't just expect at 6'4 he would be a rocket, with his top speed he's already above average skater for his size imo. Like said his glide and edge work is something great. His legs may move slow but at top speed he's going pretty fast.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I see Matthews more of like Rambo where Laine reminds me of Terminator.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Love both players. Think both will be great, and it's nice to see new & elite talent being injected into the league year after year. Can't wait for their head to head game coming up, that's gonna be a blast to watch!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
As much as I love Laine, if you're a rebuilding team with no center depth you have to take Matthews.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If Laine was a Smurf and played hockey, he would be the Smurfiest!

He does look great in blue and white though. (the ones with a lion in front. not starting anything here.)

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
I see Matthews more of like Rambo where Laine reminds me of Terminator.

Laine looks more like some movie villain; Malfoys father + Draco Malfoy mix, Dracula.. The one of the baddies in the Lost Boys.

:scared:

Anyway both players are awesome!

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Woah, anyone who thinks that Laine is one dimensional goal scorer after the FEL playoffs and especially after these last two games have read (and bought in) too many TSN articles or choose to be blind to the present.

There is no TSN bias against Laine. :laugh:

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Laine looks more like some movie villain; Malfoys father + Draco Malfoy mix, Dracula.. The one of the baddies in the Lost Boys.

:scared:

Anyway both players are awesome!

I was comparing their playing styles. There is no need to compare their appearance.

Jopo

May 8, 2016
Finland
It's hilarious. Laine apparently needs learn to skate, as that's absolutely horrible part of his tool box (some say). :laugh: That won't be big issue, however. I expect post-draft summer courses at least for the draft picks #2 and #3, as Pulju really needs intensive English lessons, though success is not ensured, but neither absolutely necessary for our beloved Nordic Mowgli in his main future core profession. Hopefully Kekäläinen will organize that, and North American media and fanbase will be lenient to his efforts in that. Neither Laine nor Pulju won't be famous for their high academic grades.

I don't think Matthews particularly needs special summer courses but I like an idea of few hours in Finnish language for equality... as long as Esa Tikkanen won't be the teacher, though that would maybe help in handling with TO media pressures little bit. :sarcasm:.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
As much as I love Laine, if you're a rebuilding team with no center depth you have to take Matthews.

Stamkos, Nylander, Kadri is pretty spectacular center depth, but I think even if you're that deep at center you *still* have to take Matthews. You draft the BPA and playing center makes Matthews the more valuable player, even if he weren't more skilled than Laine. No coach in the history of hockey has ever complained about having too many elite centers; you can always shift one or two of them to the wing. Team Canada has 7-8 natural centers on it every Olympics, and coincidentally the same person coaches both that team and the team with the #1 pick.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
As a Jets fan, I'd be thrilled with either of them skill wise. Either player is a win for the Jets and both bring something slightly different to the table. The Leafs and Jets are in a great position to move forward.

That being said, I desperately Want Patrik Laine as our 2nd overall pick and it has absolutely nothing to do with skill or talent.
7 + years of Laine post game interviews might be pure gold. I have my fingers crossed for some hilarious post game comments when he reaches the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->