Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
:laugh: Oh they’ll follow.. it’ll just be a few more years. Dubas is just so progressive that he pays wingers 11m 5 years before anyone else.

I’m still on the fence, I guess. I can see both sides... but one things for sure, if you’re adding that money, managing the rest of the cap going forward becomes essential... He hasn’t really done a very good job of that IMO.
i agree

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
All evidence points to this fan base likely ****ting on McDavid as well if he were a Leaf. #wecanthavenicethings

Hmm let's think about this.

Auston: comes to the league on fire, gets 40 goals. 2 seasons after shows a bit of progression in some areas but regresses in others. Proceeds to sign the most player friendly deal in the league.

Mcdavid: came to the league on fire but got hurt. Over the next 2 seasons he wins 2 art rosses. He then signs a super team friendly deal and leaves money behind to make the team better.

If McDavid was a leaf, we would a) be a better team, and b) would love mcdavid. He would be a God here.

Reactions: TopCheese

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018

Auston: comes to the league on fire, gets 40 goals. 2 seasons after shows a bit of progression in some areas but regresses in others. Proceeds to sign the most player friendly deal in the league.

Mcdavid: came to the league on fire but got hurt. Over the next 2 seasons he wins 2 art rosses. He then signs a super team friendly deal and leaves money behind to make the team better.

If McDavid was a leaf, we would a) be a better team, and b) would love mcdavid. He would be a God here.

we have to wait 6 years for this to happen? And if it does AM may still be the second line Center with JT getting Spezza treatment on the third line.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

soooooo Auston Matthews is not as good as mcdavid?

I mean. Sure? Good talk.

Now go post that about literally every player not named Wayne. Mario or bobby

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
i can't help but to notice this team overall nose dive started around when nylander signed/joined the roster last year

I've been saying this for awhile.

Imo, some of our problems can be traced back to when dubas caved on nylander's contract.

How different would this team be if we had just traded nylander for some defense last year.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
soooooo Auston Matthews is not as good as mcdavid?

I mean. Sure? Good talk.

Now go post that about literally every player not named Wayne. Mario or bobby

A poster said (paraphrasing) "if we had McDavid that we would also turn on him. That's why we cant have nice things"

Do you believe that?

we have to wait 6 years for this to happen? And if it does AM may still be the second line Center with JT getting Spezza treatment on the third line.

Mmm that would be some deadly center depth. Expensive, but oh so sick!

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Leadership doesn't have to necessarily mean leading in a positive manner.

Again - that is between the team and the players. None of us actually know what is going on so our judgements are based on little but prejudice.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
BABCOCK IS NOT THE RIGHT COACH FOR THIS TEAM

this team was going nowhere with Lou (zaitsev marleau)
and its not on Matthews that our special teams suck also its not on Matthews that Babcock had Marleau and Hyman on the ice at the end of game7

Right.

So lou + babs = 105 points and franchise record

Dubas and babs = 100 points and now what? 80 points?

Seems to me that the facts support the notion that lou is a superior gm to dubas.

But dont let those pesky facts halt you on your crusade.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
A poster said (paraphrasing) "if we had McDavid that we would also turn on him. That's why we cant have nice things"

Do you believe that?

Mmm that would be some deadly center depth. Expensive, but oh so sick!

honestly. IF we were in the same spot with mcdavid. Yes. Absolutely. We turn on everyone.
This is a terrible place for players to play.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Again - that is between the team and the players. None of us actually know what is going on so our judgements are based on little but prejudice.

Agreed....just pointing out there are often disruptive influences within any group. I have no evidence or specific examples on the Leafs, but it doesn't seem to outrageous to suggest that these influences exist within the roster.

Reactions: Erdinger

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
honestly. IF we were in the same spot with mcdavid. Yes. Absolutely. We turn on everyone.
This is a terrible place for players to play.

I disagree.

I am personally not a big fan of auston.

He hasn't progressed very much since his rookie year. Never broken 80 points. Has gotten worse defensively. Seems to have an attitude (butts heads with his coach, not trying very hard). Demands to be paid like he has won a cup or at least some major awards. The whole underpants thing from the summer and him hiding it from the team.

While McDavid has actually won 2 art rosses and eclipsed 100 points 3 times. Seems to get a long with his coaches no matter what, signs a super team friendly deal. Makes all the players around him better.

If we had McDavid, we would make statues of him here in toronto.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I disagree.

He hasn't progressed very much since his rookie year. Never broken 80 points. Has gotten worse defensively. Seems to have an attitude (butts heads with his coach, not trying very hard). Demands to be paid like he has won a cup or at least some major awards. The whole underpants thing from the summer and him hiding it from the team.

While McDavid has actually won 2 art rosses and eclipsed 100 points 3 times. Seems to get a long with his coaches no matter what, signs a super team friendly deal. Makes all the players around him better.

we have had. Gilmour. Clark. Sundin. Murphy. Etc. They have all taken serious heat. Front page of the paper on sundin.....

The rosy glow comes back years later. But this is a horrific fan base/media. It has driven many away or stopped many from coming.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
we have had. Gilmour. Clark. Sundin. Murphy. Etc. They have all taken serious heat. Front page of the paper on sundin.....

The rosy glow comes back years later. But this is a horrific fan base/media. It has driven many away or stopped many from coming.

Imo people hype up the awfulness of our fanbase.

Is our media trash? Yeah I'll buy that.

But every team has fanatics. We are not unique in this.

When was the last time we burned down/ rioted our city after a loss? Granted we haven't made it that far in the post season in awhile, but still.

If players want to play for a fanbase that actually cares about the team, then they should want to play for the leafs. What other team can be as bad as we have been over the last 50+ years and still sell out every game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Erdinger

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Weak. Very, very weak

Care to explain?

The poster I quoted said (paraphrasing) : "we werent going anywhere with lou as gm".

That is easily proven wrong when you look at the progression we made under lou. We went from last place, to 2 straight playoff berths. We were clearly going up.

Since we have changed gm's? We have gone backwards.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
In hindsight we also had a better mix of personnel which allowed the Leafs to play a more balanced game, which has atrophied into that Yakupov style stick checking flyby forecheck the past 12 months.
And then Dubas ruined it

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We not paying Nylander to be more than that or even be a leader on the team. He is our Kessel. Tavares and Matthews are our Crosby and Malkin.

My expectations are for him to be a plus player and put up 70 points. He is doing fine by me.
nylander could not hold kessels cup

and for the record,, no one wanted kessel out of town more then me

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah. I wonder why Sakic thought Kadri was so valuable (3C + 60 pt d man for half price) if he keeps getting suspended in the playoffs?

You can’t win without being nasty. Someone whose played and won like Sakic, gets it.

Dubas never had a chance.
yup

Matt2576

Jun 5, 2018
Few years ago it was Draisaitl that was over payed on here. Now you guys say he’s under payed in 2 years Matthews will be under payed that’s the cap era

Reactions: TopCheese

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Didn't.

Anyway, back on topic ... I really want Matthews to be the best Leafs player of the last 50 years.

I want Matthews to be considered the Leafs Beliveau.

Way to go quoting half of my post.

What do you mean, "didnt"?

Are you saying we "didnt" go anywhere with lou as gm? Because we did better with lou then dubas. And we haven't gone anywhere with Kyle. Does that mean we should fire him as well?

I want auston to be the best leaf of all time. After his rookie year I thought he was destined to be. Couple years later and I'm seriously starting to doubt it.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I disagree.

Why even compare him to McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad