Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If Babcock's team not playing well is the ****tiest point in his life then he has lived an idyllic life. I don't care. If my job was on the line because the people working for me were not performing (perhaps because of my leadership, perhaps not) I would prefer that they start to perform at their job over coming to visit me.

Action, empathy, listening, encouragement, positive relationships, etc. all signs of good leadership not just putting up points.

If Matthews doesn't want to be a leader fine, don't wear a letter.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
i played/coached/managed this beautiful game for 42 straight winters

and i can tell you,,"This is NOT a TEAM" ,, this is just a collection of talent , many that are just 170 foot players

there is absolutely no pack mentality here , no one to excite the lizard brain on the bench or in the crowd , literally no one stands up for anyone and THAT is unbelievably demoralising on the bench , it silos players off , makes them shrink inches

it fosters selfish behaviour and self serving, self interested play

dubas to the pleasure of many soyboys here got rid of all his lizard brains,,,,,,Koma,martin,kadri,brown,hains,zait,ozzy

Well said. :clap::clap:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
5v5

Matthews has played about 332:49 TOI at 5v5 so far through 22 games.

When he's on the ice his CF% and SF% are both over 57% which is amazing because those are career-highs for him if he keeps up at that pace. Crazy thing is they'd be even higher, but he's had 7 games this year where he's had a CF% below 50%.

Game 3 vs. MTL: 40.91%
Game 9 vs. BOS: 41.03%
Game 11 at BOS: 42.31%
Game 13 at MTL: 45.16%
Game 14 vs. WSH: 46.15%
Game 15 at PHI: 45.16%
Game 16 vs. LAK: 45.45%

One negative is back in 2017-18 he was on the ice for 16 HDGA through 62 games. This season, he's been on the ice for 9 already through only 22 games.

However, hard for Matthews to get all the blame there. It's vital for any great team to have their goalie(s) make you important saves when your best player is on the ice.

In 2017-18, he got a .940 SV% when he was on the ice. Last season it was a brutal .900 and this current season it's become even worse at only .890.

Most of his faceoffs are in the offensive and neutral zones. His faceoff % in the o-zone is over 70%. His PDO is at 1.002.
it makes one wonder ,,with kadri gone and last seasons JT line yet to play a single shift together

has matty been facing tougher matchups

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
i played/coached/managed this beautiful game for 42 straight winters

and i can tell you,,"This is NOT a TEAM" ,, this is just a collection of talent , many that are just 170 foot players

there is absolutely no pack mentality here , no one to excite the lizard brain on the bench or in the crowd , literally no one stands up for anyone and THAT is unbelievably demoralising on the bench , it silos players off , makes them shrink inches

it fosters selfish behaviour and self serving, self interested play

dubas to the pleasure of many soyboys here got rid of all his lizard brains,,,,,,Koma,martin,kadri,brown,hains,zait,ozzy
Great post.

It’s hardly surprising Dubas doesn’t get it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
All evidence points to Matthews being the locker room problem. His feud with Babcock has essentially taken the team hostage. Marner, Nylander and Barrie have followed suit and probably a few others, while Tavares and Rielly are striving for peace. Lou kept everyone in line (including Babcock) and Dubas handed all the power to
The kids. What a mess!
i can't help but to notice this team overall nose dive started around when nylander signed/joined the roster last year

Reactions: Legendary

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Action, empathy, listening, encouragement, positive relationships, etc. all signs of good leadership not just putting up points.

IMO, he’s actually displaying that he’s not a leader. That hit from Petry on Barrie - Petry braced himself because everyone knows what happens when you run someone like that... but Matthews just skated by.

This isn’t a very good team and it’s showing.

Talent and skills are nice, though.

Reactions: coupe93 and egd27

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I don't care about letters. That is between the team and players. We don't know what and where the real leadership is within the room.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
IMO, he’s actually displaying that he’s not a leader. That hit from Petry on Barrie - Petry braced himself because everyone knows what happens when you run someone like that... but Matthews just skated by.

Yup I think the flaws are very visible and there are a lot on this team.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
In hindsight we also had a better mix of personnel which allowed the Leafs to play a more balanced game, which has atrophied into that Yakupov style stick checking flyby forecheck the past 12 months.
you mean Nylander style

funny thing, our record since his signing/return has been the worst and so has our style of play

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
you mean Nylander style

funny thing, our record since his signing/return has been the worst and so has our style of play
He has more goals than all of last season.

Matthews Tavares Rielly Barrie Marner I expect more from. Nylander is 6th on the list at most.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

yup, i have matty wayyyyyy more on the kessel side of the coin , then the crosby/bergeron side

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
and once again, someone who thinks it's just about points
We not paying Nylander to be more than that or even be a leader on the team. He is our Kessel. Tavares and Matthews are our Crosby and Malkin.

My expectations are for him to be a plus player and put up 70 points. He is doing fine by me.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
i can't help but to notice this team overall nose dive started around when nylander signed/joined the roster last year

The timing is certainly suspicious, but I've been told several times that there is no way adding such a talent mid season could be in any way detrimental.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I don't care about letters. That is between the team and players. We don't know what and where the real leadership is within the room.

Leadership doesn't have to necessarily mean leading in a positive manner.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Carries the the team on his back? Isn't that expression usually used for outstanding efforts when a team wins? i.e. Messier SC in New York or Roy in 93.
not necessarily. The Leafs would be close to the 16/17 Avalanche if not for him, so keeping things at least somewhat respectable is better than nothing

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yup I think the flaws are very visible and there are a lot on this team.
Yeah, I mean, nobody did anything when Brendan Dillon hit Matthews high... nobody did anything.

It’s almost unbelievable.
but i am UTTERLY shocked that shanny allowed it to happen

given his playing career and who is behind the bench.
Me too.

Thing is, he can’t really admit that Dubas was a bad hire without putting himself on the line.

It true selfish fashion (this organization has it seemingly top to bottom) he’ll keep collecting his cheque and ride it out until Dubas has sunk the whole thing.

Reactions: coupe93

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah, I mean, nobody did anything when Brendan Dillon hit Matthews high... nobody did anything.

It’s almost unbelievable.
Me too.

Thing is, he can’t really admit that Dubas was a bad hire without putting himself on the line.

It true selfish fashion (this organization has it seemingly top to bottom) he’ll keep collecting his cheque and ride it out until Dubas has sunk the whole thing.
you and i do differ tho on the JT/ dubas issue

it is my contention that dubas first grave mistake was caving into Nylander and it all snowballed from there.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Leadership doesn't have to necessarily mean leading in a positive manner.
Yeah. I wonder why Sakic thought Kadri was so valuable (3C + 60 pt d man for half price) if he keeps getting suspended in the playoffs?

You can’t win without being nasty. Someone whose played and won like Sakic, gets it.

Dubas never had a chance.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
All evidence points to this fan base likely shitting on McDavid as well if he were a Leaf. #wecanthavenicethings

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
you and i do differ tho on the JT/ dubas issue

it is my contention that dubas first grave mistake was caving into Nylander and it all snowballed from there.
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 but it was always curious adding that sort of cap a year before RFA’s.

I agree with you to an extent about Nylander. I still have time for him because I’ve seen progress and he’s just so talented, but you’re right, the fact that they’ve let these kids set the market is just a joke.

People in here talking about being the laughingstock of the league but still endorsing Kyle Dubas. :help:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 but it was always curious adding that sort of cap a year before RFA’s.

I agree with you to an extent about Nylander. I still have time for him because I’ve seen progress and he’s just so talented, but you’re right, the fact that they’ve let these kids set the market is just a joke.

People in here talking about being the laughingstock of the league but still endorsing Kyle Dubas. :help:
no offence BUT

it's not "setting the market" when no one else follows it

none of those other " you will see contracts" ever happened.

we added a elite #1 center at the cost of just cap space and at fair UFA market value

frankly, it might have been dubases only good move.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
no offence BUT

it's not "setting the market" when no one else follows it

none of those other " you will see contracts" ever happened.

we added a elite #1 center at the cost of just cap space and at fair UFA market value

frankly, it might have been dubases only good move.
:laugh: Oh they’ll follow.. it’ll just be a few more years. Dubas is just so progressive that he pays wingers 11m 5 years before anyone else.

I’m still on the fence, I guess. I can see both sides... but one things for sure, if you’re adding that money, managing the rest of the cap going forward becomes essential... He hasn’t really done a very good job of that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad