Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
At what percent do you think Matthews can compete in the playoffs? He said he will be playing through the injury. I'm guessing 60%? Still enough to sneak into the lineup. Shoulder is pretty important.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012

Nah. No need to despair.

Management has Matthews (and the club) completely locked into long term plans. If Matthews needs to be shut down for precautionary measures, he'll be shut down and if need be, rest until the summer.

Jeff O'Neill, good hockey player, great shot...different animal to Matthews.

And I think Matthews would have to be above 80% to go and at that, with a great abundance of caution.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
At what percent do you think Matthews can compete in the playoffs? He said he will be playing through the injury. I'm guessing 60%? Still enough to sneak into the lineup. Shoulder is pretty important.

Roughly the same as the Matthews who has been playing (I have maintained throughout this time period) at significantly less than 100% over his last 39 games and managed 32 points (about 60% of the PPG he was putting up in his first 14 when healthy).

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Roughly the same as the Matthews who has been playing (I have maintained throughout this time period) at significantly less than 100% over his last 39 games and managed 32 points (about 60% of the PPG he was putting up in his first 14 when healthy).

Damn. Wish they'd just let him heal up, no point playing at 50%. I guess it'll offer moral support.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
BC72A001-7C55-4F9B-A040-A86CAF2177DC.jpeg

Nice

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I'm confused by Matthews statement. Doesn't our decidedly old-school management keep a pretty tight lid on this sort of thing? Why share that your injury is lingering? Why give divisional rivals or playoff competition any excuse to run our franchise center with the intention of aggravating his shoulder injury?

The only reason I can imagine Matthews would share those details would be to dampen expecations of his performance for media/fans. Hardly a good enough reason for guys like Lou and Babcock to be comfortable with it.

I can only guess that they would green light this statement if there was no chance of exacerbating it whatsoever, but how can that be if it's still a significant enough factor in his comfort to warrant mentioning it at all?

Anyone have a theory on this? I'm totally lost.

Reactions: saffronleaf

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm confused by Matthews statement. Doesn't our decidedly old-school management keep a pretty tight lid on this sort of thing? Why share that your injury is lingering? Why give divisional rivals or playoff competition any excuse to run our franchise center with the intention of aggravating his shoulder injury?

The only reason I can imagine Matthews would share those details would be to dampen expecations of his performance for media/fans. Hardly a good enough reason for guys like Lou and Babcock to be comfortable with it.

I can only guess that they would green light this statement if there was no chance of exacerbating it whatsoever, but how can that be if it's still a significant enough factor in his comfort to warrant mentioning it at all?

Anyone have a theory on this? I'm totally lost.
even him revealing it was a shoulder injury rather than calling it an UBI was a bit weird. I have no clue what the reasoning is

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Auston Matthews has a peculiar release point on his wrist/snap shot (in front of his right foot) that I don't think would be compromised by shoulder surgery.

Let's just hope Matthews stays healthy and there are no concerns in the future, even if he has corrective surgery. Last thing you want is to dampen the enthusiasm for potentially a once in a hundred years kind of player.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I hope they get Auston back asap, so he can get back into game shape.

I'm not part of the "sit him until summer" camp. He's a professional player and a top athlete.

If he's ready to come back, get back!!! No more sitting, and certainly don't sit games out for 'safety sake'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad