Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Think us hoping he'd be in against the Pens was pretty hopeful. Still guessing Dallas or if not, travels with the team to Buffalo.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The Leafs are firmly entrenched in 3rd in the division. May want to give him a couple games before the regular season is out to get his feet back under him. But other than that, no need whatsoever to rush him unless he is more than 100%.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I have a c 3/4 separated shoulder.

He needs to get the surgery in the summer time. Or this will keep re occurring.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I don't know if the Leafs are being over cautious or not .but the fact that he's missed this much time over a nothing play is very concerning. Is he that fragile ? Whats gonna happen the first time he takes a big hit?

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I don't know if the Leafs are being over cautious or not .but the fact that he's missed this much time over a nothing play is very concerning. Is he that fragile ? Whats gonna happen the first time he takes a big hit?
Sometimes the worst ones are the ones that come out of nowhere. You can't brace and you aren't able to move your body to a position better able to absorb the impact.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

Orientation of the hit is most of the time worse than the force of it. I nearly tore my ACL by simply falling on me knee from a soft tackle in soccer. I've always completely stood my ground against 3 straight side tackles to the ankle/knee and came out unscathed. Matthews injuries seemed unorthodox compared to taking big hits.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

He got sandwiched on both shoulders by 2 guys...the human body is not meant to be crushed that way...your ribs could collapse a bit as a buffer being sandwiched from the chest and back, but not from the 2 sides at the shoulders.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

I really hate comments like this.

I’ve played hockey and soccer all my life, gotten rocked in both sports and bounced back up no problem, it’s been a couple of much lighter impacts where I’ve got hit in the perfect (wrong) spot where I’ve broken bones and ruptured tendons.

Point is, you can’t just look at something like this and assume it was nothing because it wasn’t a bone crushing Scott Stevens type hit, then label that player as injury prone or “fragile”.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I think he is a great player. My concern is he is so young and the amount of times he's been injured in less than 2 seasons. Getting a tad worried about a Mr glass situation.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yep, four for this one.
Wifes brother and family are coming in from Montreal for it, my daughter and I are taking her uncle and cousin.
Hopefully by games end my 7 year old nephew will throw his Price shirt away and ask his uncle to get him a Matthews jersey!

He's still young enough to be persuaded to join the good guys! Hopefully Matthews' is back for that one - that would really help your case :D

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think he is a great player. My concern is he is so young and the amount of times he's been injured in less than 2 seasons. Getting a tad worried about a Mr glass situation.

I don't think there is anything to worry about just yet. Last season he played all 82 games and all 6 playoff games, did he not? This season he has run into a couple of injuries, it happens. No player in a 20 year career will play every single game. And the injuries this season don't seem to be that serious. He is not missing months at a time.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
To honest, I'd rest him the next 3 games after tonight, and then see where he's at. If he isn't playing by the 20th then I'll start to be worried.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To honest, I'd rest him the next 3 games after tonight, and then see where he's at. If he isn't playing by the 20th then I'll start to be worried.
He'll play when he's ready to play. Why would he need more rest? He should be extremely rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad