Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My initial estimate when they said 2-4 weeks was March 14th, based on the schedule.

The Leafs schedule thankfully (in terms of the Matthews injury) went very light almost right after Papi got hurt, and it doesn't pick up until March 14th. That's when it goes back to 3-4 games per week, as opposed to this weird week-and-a-half or so when its been much lighter.

So even if Matthews seems like he's ok for Saturday, its easy to see management electing to rest him and tack on another four days off, just in case. Makes sense based on the Leafs likely not moving out of 3rd place in the Atlantic, and could be a huge blessing in disguise come playoff time.

Time will tell.
With the exception of their last win against Boston which was the first game Matthews missed, it sucks they are on a losing streak with him out of the lineup. However the only positive if you want to call it that was the Leafs light schedule of recent games played.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
With the exception of their last win against Boston which was the first game Matthews missed, it sucks they are on a losing streak with him out of the lineup. However the only positive if you want to call it that was the Leafs light schedule of recent games played.

Losing always sucks, plain and simple. Couldn't agree more.

Along with luckily having a light schedule, the fact that this injury forced Willy into playing center was also a positive in my mind, as he looked pretty good at it, IMHO. If another center got hurt, there's a chance Willy stays on Auston's wing and the Leafs replace that hurt C with another C down the depth chart (either Moore or Plekanec, depending on who got hurt).

Add to that the fact that they are virtually cemented into 3rd place in the Atlantic (barring some kind of catastrophic collapse and a Florida miracle), there was very little reason to panic once we knew Auston would be back at some point in the regular season.

If they play their cards right and incur no more injuries (*knock on wood*), the Leafs could be that underdog team (relative to Tampa and Boston) that nobody wants to face in the spring.

I am excited about the possibilities this post-season. Let's see what unfolds.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Losing always sucks, plain and simple. Couldn't agree more.

Along with luckily having a light schedule, the fact that this injury forced Willy into playing center was also a positive in my mind, as he looked pretty good at it, IMHO. If another center got hurt, there's a chance Willy stays on Auston's wing and the Leafs replace that hurt C with another C down the depth chart (either Moore or Plekanec, depending on who got hurt).

Add to that the fact that they are virtually cemented into 3rd place in the Atlantic (barring some kind of catastrophic collapse and a Florida miracle), there was very little reason to panic once we knew Auston would be back at some point in the regular season.

If they play their cards right and incur no more injuries (*knock on wood*), the Leafs could be that underdog team (relative to Tampa and Boston) that nobody wants to face in the spring.

I am excited about the possibilities this post-season. Let's see what unfolds.
If the Panthers were not on the run where they won 6 straight games and of course if the Leafs were not on a 4 game losing streak, although two of those games were lost in regulation we wouldn't be this worried about when Matthews does return.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
If the Panthers were not on the run where they won 6 straight games and of course if the Leafs were not on a 4 game losing streak, although two of those games were lost in regulation we wouldn't be this worried about when Matthews does return.

Yes the Panthers have made it more interesting, and add to that the monumental 18-wheeler collapse from the Burke era, I can see why people are a touch nervous. I think they're fine, as it would still take the Panthers to continue their tear and the Leafs to completely fall off the cliff again for them to fall out of 3rd place.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes the Panthers have made it more interesting, and add to that the monumental 18-wheeler collapse from the Burke era, I can see why people are a touch nervous. I think they're fine, as it would still take the Panthers to continue their tear and the Leafs to completely fall off the cliff again for them to fall out of 3rd place.
One good thing is it's only some Leafs fans brining up the Panthers, because no one from TSN and Sportsnet has brought them up catching the Leafs. They were only brought up at possibly making a Wild Card spot.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
One good thing is it's only some Leafs fans brining up the Panthers, because no one from TSN and Sportsnet has brought them up catching the Leafs. They were only brought up at possibly making a Wild Card spot.

Panthers have 18 games remaining. If they win every single game of their current 4 games in hand on the Leafs, they are at 79 points, which is still 6 points back of the Leafs, with 14 games to go.

I think they're fine (*knocks on wood repeatedly*)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Panthers have 18 games remaining. If they win every single game of their current 4 games in hand on the Leafs, they are at 79 points, which is still 6 points back of the Leafs, with 14 games to go.

I think they're fine (*knocks on wood repeatedly*)
Hopefully the Leafs start winning again this Saturday and I would hope when they play the Panthers at the end of this month, by that time our playoff spot is officially clinched and they are guaranteed top 3 in the Atlantic.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hopefully the Leafs start winning again this Saturday and I would hope when they play the Panthers at the end of this month, by that time our playoff spot is officially clinched and they are guaranteed top 3 in the Atlantic.

I have a bad feeling our old eccentric friend Phil Kessel is going to sting us at the ACC on Saturday with a big performance.

Strange hunch, hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: FishManSam

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I have a bad feeling our old eccentric friend Phil Kessel is going to sting us at the ACC on Saturday with a big performance.

The Pens are a good team, there's a big chance he does with the way he's playing this year.

Hoping Auston is going to have tons of energy for the last stretch of the year going into the playoffs. Will be nice to have our depth at full force.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Last season on the night when the Leafs defeated Pittsburgh and clinched their playoff spot, Kessel did score the first goal of the game. However like I said the Leafs clinched their playoff spot and still won. If Kessel does score let's hope it's late in the game with the Leafs winning 5-0.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Personally I'd love to fall into the first Wild Card spot and to get another shot at Washington.

That would mean that the Leafs have gotten pretty damn cold over the last 14 games. I wouldn't like their chances against anybody if they limp into the playoffs. You can't just flip a switch.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Last season on the night when the Leafs defeated Pittsburgh and clinched their playoff spot, Kessel did score the first goal of the game. However like I said the Leafs clinched their playoff spot and still won. If Kessel does score let's hope it's late in the game with the Leafs winning 5-0.

Agreed, but not counting on it.

Regardless, I really hope nobody boos Phil on Saturday, that would be absurd. In fact, how about a tribute video? Did we do one for him?

I really liked him in Toronto and kind of felt bad for him considering how badly he was miscast. He is nowhere near the type of player who can carry a team, but a downright deadly scorer if put in a lesser role with a high end center, as he is proving to be in Pittsburgh, scoring so many clutch goals.

I wish Phil nothing but the best except when he plays us, of course.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed, but not counting on it.

Regardless, I really hope nobody boos Phil on Saturday, that would be absurd. In fact, how about a tribute video? Did we do one for him?

I really liked him in Toronto and kind of felt bad for him considering how badly he was miscast. He is nowhere near the type of player who can carry a team, but a downright deadly scorer if put in a lesser role with a high end center, as he is proving to be in Pittsburgh, scoring so many clutch goals.

I wish Phil nothing but the best except when he plays us, of course.
The first time Kessel played in Toronto after the trade there was no tribute video for him and that was Shanahan's decision, although I remember they had one for Phaneuf in his first game back after the trade with Ottawa. I always thought Shanahan held Kessel responsible for "salute gate" when we see him talking to Phaneuf and the players went off the ice, so that's why he never got a welcome back video.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
The first time Kessel played in Toronto after the trade there was no tribute video for him and that was Shanahan's decision, although I remember they had one for Phaneuf in his first game back after the trade with Ottawa. I always thought Shanahan held Kessel responsible for "salute gate" when we see him talking to Phaneuf and the players went off the ice, so that's why he never got a welcome back video.
Ah right, I remember salute gate, what a disgrace.

If that was why, then sure I get it, but if not, Phil deserves some kind of tribute, even if it's a small one.

He was fun to watch on many nights, and gave it a good effort for the most part.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
he has gone ppg so far at C. With bozak going replacing his sheltered minutes with a slightly less sheltered Nylander is a good move, barring signing taveras of course. I also think if babcock was not going to fully embrace it he'd never put him there, just use Mareleau or Komarav and bump the rest up. It is something to me that is stupid not to fully try out, put him there next year with the knowledge that at anytime you can pair him back up Matthews for a instant top line at anytime you feel its not going to work. If you can shelter bozak 65% and still be a playoff team you can for sure shelter Nylander 60% maybe even less. Give him Kapanen and Johnsson and let the 2 rookies find their NHL feet while Nylande rfinds his C feet

Need to get a good 4C like Beagle in the off-season to run that line more often. In terms of Nylander's wingers if he went to centre, i'd be okay with one of Kapanen or Johnsson but not sure both. It's essentially 2 rookie wingers with a guy that hasn't played a lot of NHL centre in the last 3 years. A veteran 2-way winger would be nice to help him transition and cover for him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Need to get a good 4C like Beagle in the off-season to run that line more often. In terms of Nylander's wingers if he went to centre, i'd be okay with one of Kapanen or Johnsson but not sure both. It's essentially 2 rookie wingers with a guy that hasn't played a lot of NHL centre in the last 3 years. A veteran 2-way winger would be nice to help him transition and cover for him.

ok Marleau is the vettiest vet we have, he can also slide over to c if its absolutely necerssary. A high skill player like Nylander with Kapanen on the other wing i think they could bring out the best in Marelau. With Kadri I feel Marleau has too much responsibility 2 way for a player his age. SO being the guy expected to help them 2 way while that line will have more sheltering than the kadri line

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
ok Marleau is the vettiest vet we have, he can also slide over to c if its absolutely necerssary. A high skill player like Nylander with Kapanen on the other wing i think they could bring out the best in Marelau. With Kadri I feel Marleau has too much responsibility 2 way for a player his age. SO being the guy expected to help them 2 way while that line will have more sheltering than the kadri line

I'll present you 2 different ideas, let me know what you think.

Signing Tavares+Nash, if the cap goes to 80M and especially if we dealt Martin, we could do it. Tavares at 10M x7 years and 6M x1 year for Nash..

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Nash-Tavares-Kapanen
Johnsson-Beagle-Grundstrom

(I think Brown goes to grab defensive help via trade)

Now if you wanted to put Nylander at centre, let's still go for Nash.

Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Nash-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Beagle-4RW

I know I have Johnsson all over the place but I think he could work in a variety of roles, could be a poor man's Arvidsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->