Auston Matthews out for min 4 weeks with shoulder injury (Mod warning #70)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Out 4 Weeks?! That's a minimum of 13 games missed. So Matthews will only play 69 games at most this season. So basically Mathews lost the chance to win both the Art Ross and Rocket because of this.

And this could also affect Matthews' chances of getting his big Money deal. Matthews was on pace to get a McDavid+ kind of contract, but this could mean he has to settle for a Tavares like contract.

Seems like my Leafs can never have nice things. :(

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, agree to disagree I guess. If Jamie Benn can win then Matthews can win too.
Jamie Benn would never win in the current NHL though. He lucked into it in a stale year where the few major stars in the league were either injured or exiting their prime, and the influx of young talent hadn't hit yet. You're talking about a year where Jiri Hudler was 8th in NHL scoring. That will not happen again in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: libertarian

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Jamie Benn would never win in the current NHL though. He lucked into it in a stale year where the few major stars in the league were either injured or exiting their prime, and the influx of young talent hadn't hit yet. You're talking about a year where Jiri Hudler was 8th in NHL scoring. That will not happen again in the foreseeable future.

Of course it could, players get injured all the time. There is nothing to suggest that the Art Ross is a lock for anyone. McDavid might have the best odds but this isn't Gretzky or Lemieux.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Basically all it would take is for him to have one of his better seasons and McDavid/Geno to get injured. I mean, it's not likely but I see Matthews being right in the mix after the big guns. But there's really no point in debating this since we won't be reaching an agreement. I see Matthews as being in the "dark horse" group of players who could win any given year if stars align. You don't.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
As a Bruin fan I hope he heals well. Always like when teams can play at full (well as much as possible) capacity when the games start to matter.

I might’ve missed it. Was it dislocated or separated? Separated isn’t that bad. I did it in my youth. You look like a bent coat hanger the rest of your life but it doesn’t hurt at least.

Dislocated really sucks though. But I’m sure he has better doctors than the ones I got to see lol

member 290103

This is very alarming. As a Leafs fan, I'd be very concerned about where this team is headed. The team is now without Nylander and Matthews and rather than move Willie and upgrade a horrid d-corps, Dubas insists on trying to re-sign him.

Things are starting to fall apart in Toronto.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This is very alarming. As a Leafs fan, I'd be very concerned about where this team is headed. The team is now without Nylander and Matthews and rather than move Willie and upgrade a horrid d-corps, Dubas insists on trying to re-sign him.

If what is going on in Toronto right now is falling apart I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's put together. :huh::laugh:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

LOL. What on earth are you on about?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That really sucks, hoping for a quick and full recovery for him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Thats not true. Mathews will be back. Either way they still have the asset in Nylander so either way they resign or trade him could be a win for the Leafs. There are far worse situations in the league. They will make the playoffs again and teams will expect them to contend. Far from falling apart.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
First and last forward in NHL history to make 12 million in a season before he reaches 70 points?

He may not now with the injuries he has sustained lately. Both on shoulders. Legit reasons to be skeptical to hand out that kind of money.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Feel bad for Matthews there was a decent chance he hit point per game this year and cemented his place as a top 10 center in the League. Oh well, full season next year and he's still got playoffs.

With any luck he can adjust his game to not be injury prone. It'll be really tough though, usually players who skate with their head down and puck focused don't really work it out of their game, I mean look at Lindros, and Lindros was considered generational.

Get well soon Auston!

Reactions: flamesforcup

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He already has played a full season. The leafs are built to be able to withstand losing it's star player, unlike other certain teams. This also will be a blessing in disguise for the leafs. Brings down Matthews cap.
At the end of the day I'm not worried a bit. Like I said leafs are more then just one player and this injury will give other players a chance to shine.
They don't need to bring down his cap this year, they have something like $13M in room.

If he took a 15 or 20 game break next year, however, the $3M in space it could open up would be certainly helpful.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Basically all it would take is for him to have one of his better seasons and McDavid/Geno to get injured. I mean, it's not likely but I see Matthews being right in the mix after the big guns. But there's really no point in debating this since we won't be reaching an agreement. I see Matthews as being in the "dark horse" group of players who could win any given year if stars align. You don't.
I think he could get there someday to be in the conversation, but he's not there yet imo. With the emergence of Mackinnon and Kane still kicking around, its highly unlikely at this point in time. If you require injuries just to be in the conversation then you're not a real contender imo.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think he could get there someday to be in the conversation, but he's not there yet imo. With the emergence of Mackinnon and Kane still kicking around, its highly unlikely at this point in time. If you require injuries just to be in the conversation then you're not a real contender imo.

Fair enough. I disagree but it's just a case of personal definition.

Reactions: McFlyingV

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He may not now with the injuries he has sustained lately. Both on shoulders. Legit reasons to be skeptical to hand out that kind of money.

I can't see him accepting less money than JT, to be honest. Even if the number is below 12 AAV then you propably don't get him for maximum 8 years. Maybe 5 years with a number like that and the media hype he is getting.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
As a Bruin fan I hope he heals well. Always like when teams can play at full (well as much as possible) capacity when the games start to matter.

I might’ve missed it. Was it dislocated or separated? Separated isn’t that bad. I did it in my youth. You look like a bent coat hanger the rest of your life but it doesn’t hurt at least.

Dislocated really sucks though. But I’m sure he has better doctors than the ones I got to see lol

It was separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad