Auston Matthews out for min 4 weeks with shoulder injury (Mod warning #70)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
It's unfortunate that over the past few years we've lost each of McDavid, Eichel, and Matthews for a significant number of games.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Tavares is proving to be essential signing for the Leafs. They're still strong enough to get to playoffs. But this really sucks ass. Matthews is easily the most fun to watch from Toronto players for me. I think there was a good chance he would get to 50 goals.

Lets hope this is his last shoulder injury and it doesn't become lingering issue for him.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He never had a chance at the Art Ross.

Obviously he wasn't the frontrunner but he definitely was among one of the challengers. At the time he got injured he was 14th in PPG. I wouldn't have bet on him but saying he didn't have a chance is too harsh.

I do think he was more likely to challenge for the Rocket though.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Doesn't take much to pop out/injure a shoulder, just has to get hit in the wrong spot. Similar to the hit MacKinnon got hurt with last year.

Its more complicated then that! He had 2 injuries at the same shoulder before, third now if the same one. Not a good sign so early on in his career!

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Terrible terrible news.

This is one of those injuries that always lingers and never fully heals unless you gey surgery and like 6 months off.

Gotta hols your breath everytime he takes a hit from now on.

Survivng playoffs when other.teams know what to target will be extremely difficult as well.

Whatba waste of his of his ELC yrs.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
It is a shame. He is injury prone. I know people will claim he isnt, but its three years in a row he wont play over 70 games.

I'd love to see him contend for the Art Ross and Richard. Players like him getting injured is bad for the game.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It is a shame. He is injury prone. I know people will claim he isnt, but its three years in a row he wont play over 70 games.

I'd love to see him contend for the Art Ross and Richard. Players like him getting injured is bad for the game.

You might want to check your "facts".

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
And this is why depth is so important.
Matthews can fully heal without needing to rush back.
Tough to see, but with the J.T signing Im sure the Leafs still have a better centercore without Matthews than most other teams. Hopefully Matthews can have a quick recovery though.
The rest just have to pick up the slack until he gets back.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
A couple quick losses and Nylander will be signed

Matthews doesn't make the team. This is a huge loss for sure but the team itself is still very strong. Center depth in the bottom 6 is a little meh as of now but they still have a strong top 6. It just means more opportunity and minutes for Marner and Tavares.

However I do think that this is a great chance for the team to shine. They will be down Matthews and Nylander now. If they can keep winning it means they got more guys going. Could be a blessing in disguise if both guys come back and push everyone down two spots.

However we will basically get to see the Leafs without their first line now. Should be interesting in Calgary tonight.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Damn shame. Wishing him a quick recovery and hopefully he can return and pick up where he left off.

He was on pace for a great year and probably would have been around 45 goals and 35-40 assists if fully healthy the entire season.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Man, I'm bummed out about this. I've been enjoying watching Matthews really blossom this season into a bonafide top-tier forward. I really thought he'd be able to put up 80 points or so this year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Obviously he wasn't the frontrunner but he definitely was among one of the challengers. At the time he got injured he was 14th in PPG. I wouldn't have bet on him but saying he didn't have a chance is too harsh.

I do think he was more likely to challenge for the Rocket though.
Well in my opinion he is not a good enough point producer to be in the conversation for the Art Ross, no matter how hot he started. I think he absolutely could have (and still could be depending on how many games he misses) been in the Rocket discussion.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
If a team goes and tells your franchise player "your shoulders are messed up we are giving you 10 instead of 12" you can probably kiss him goodbye at his earliest chance.
He's going to get paid regardless, but he's not getting McDavid money if/when he doesn't have a single high end season. A 50 goal, Rocket winning season vs another injury riddled season could be the difference between 12.5 and 11 million.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Maybe his injury issues will help keep his next contract a little more reasonable for TO

Sucks cause i was actually enjoying watching Leafs play this year so far

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well in my opinion he is not a good enough point producer to be in the conversation for the Art Ross, no matter how hot he started. I think he absolutely could have (and still could be depending on how many games he misses) been in the Rocket discussion.

Well, agree to disagree I guess. If Jamie Benn can win then Matthews can win too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad