Auston Matthews out for min 4 weeks with shoulder injury (Mod warning #70)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Suffices to say Auston Matthews will have not given anywhere near 12 million value to Toronto in any of his ELC years. This injury could be a blessing in disguise for Leafs, as how do you justify playing an injury prone point per game player highest salary in the league?
If a team goes and tells your franchise player "your shoulders are messed up we are giving you 10 instead of 12" you can probably kiss him goodbye at his earliest chance.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I love HF clinging to this little pointless streak he was on. When he had a bunch of points in a few games it was a small sample size, but when he has 0 in 4 (3 and a half) its the norm going forward.

Sample size is really determined by narrative.
No his pointless streak was his insanely high shooting percentages beginning to normalize. They aren't there yet, but they're trending there.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
No his pointless streak was his insanely high shooting percentages beginning to normalize. They aren't there yet, but they're trending there.
Exactly. His start was unsustainable, but multiple 4-game pointless streaks would also be improbable.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't think many people fully understand this. Even if Matthews was against the boards it wouldn't have been as bad because Matthews would have hit to boards with the other side of his body allowing it to eat some of the energy from the hit. The way the hit happened all the energy went into the one shoulder.

It was a very hard impact hit. I loved this hit and the Provorov hit on Barzal because they show physical hits can be huge and clean and still fit in the new NHL.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
In all seriousness....you really hate to see this happen and I hope he recovers quick. I am surprised that it's his other shoulder than the one from before. Someone said that that almost makes it worse. Why is that? I would think that the fact that he didn't re-injure the old issue would be a blessing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Exactly. His start was unsustainable, but multiple 4-game pointless streaks would also be improbable.
If you're looking at just the 4 game pointless streak sure. If you're looking at his entire sample for the season he's still at unsustainable shooting percentages, but at least they're far closer to sustainable than they were.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hate that. I wanted to see what he could do over a full season this year. I wanted resolution, one way or another, after all the arguments about pace in the offseason.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
In all seriousness....you really hate to see this happen and I hope he recovers quick. I am surprised that it's his other shoulder than the one from before. Someone said that that almost makes it worse. Why is that? I would think that the fact that he didn't re-injure the old issue would be a blessing.

I would think having 2 bum shoulders as opposed to one is worse.

Reactions: Speedo

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Doesn't take much to pop out/injure a shoulder, just has to get hit in the wrong spot. Similar to the hit MacKinnon got hurt with last year.

Reactions: dukeofjive

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
must be nice to be able to slide John Tavares right into the #1C spot :laugh:

Hopefully AM comes back with no set-backs.... the league is better with the elite talent on the ice, not on the IR

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Haven't seen a shoulder hit that bad on a leaf since Foligno on Car Gunnarson. Shoulders are such a complex movement area of the body, hopefully he'll be back 100%.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Exactly what I was thinking.

I would think having 2 bum shoulders as opposed to one is worse.

That assumes it's more than a normal injury and becomes a "Bum shoulder". Injuries happen, and then they heal. Usually. Unless there's news that this was an especially bad injury or Matthews has genetically weak shoulders, the reasonable guess is that this is a one-off injury where the player recovers and comes back 100%.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Hoping the timeline for his recovery holds up, but they need to keep him out as long as it takes to recover fully. Would help if we had Nylander back soon to offset the scoring.

A Top-6 of:

Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

is still going to score a lot of goals. If the 4-weeks ends up being accurate, Matthews should be missing ~15 games.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Suffices to say Auston Matthews will have not given anywhere near 12 million value to Toronto in any of his ELC years. This injury could be a blessing in disguise for Leafs, as how do you justify playing an injury prone point per game player highest salary in the league?

It might lower the value a bit, but Matthews is gonna get paid injury or not.

Eichel looks to have roughly the same injury history in his first 3 years, and the Sabres felt fine paying him (as they should have)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Very curious to see how this impacts his contract status.

I know many people believe that it should lower it, but I do wonder...

He had a ridiculously hot start to the season, and was naturally starting to cool down (naturally for any player, not just Matthews). He may come back from this injury eager and go on another hot streak, finishing the season with a ridiculously high points per game, which could be a negotiating tool for his agent if its at or near the top of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->