Value of: Auston Matthews New Contract

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
As soon as Eichel signed his deal it insured Matthews was getting 10+. He has been better then Eichel in their first two years and I’m sure Matthews agent will use that contract as a bench mark due to their age, position, and ability.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he should get 10.5M per, but if he gets 11M I don't care.

That is still 4M more then Eichel overall on an 8 year deal. He definitely isn't in the 12M range.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Mathews is a franchise C.
He is gonna get 10 million at the minimum unless he feels taking a severe discount will help the team moving forward.
He should make what eichel makes at least.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
10M is not what it used to be.

If Matthews extends this summer at 10M, by the time he is 2 or 3 years into his new extension, there's a reasonable chance the cap will have exceeded 90 million. If the Leafs sign Matthews to a 5 year deal like the Lightning did with Stamkos, they could be looking at the prospect of having to negotiate an all UFA year extension under a near 100M salary cap.

Unless the team is the Tampa Bay Lightning who live in an alternate reality where Steve Yzerman has somehow managed to convince players to take bridge deals, and then thank him by taking hair cuts on the UFA deals that follow them, teams should NEVER bridge sure thing superstars. Always lock them down long term because the cap perpetually going up deflates a player's overall cap hit.

Low tax .Thats why. People sign for less vecause they net the same as grtting 10 pkus mil elswhere .its a sham

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Other fan bases can be as pissy as they want but Matthews will be just as much the face of the NHL as McDavid is/ will be. You're looking at a star C coming out of the desert playing for the biggest market in hockey. This is Uncle Gary's wet dream to have a marketable big american stud fall right into his lap. The TO media is the one along with NHL network and the likes who are praising Matthews like he's god. They're the ones who are trying to put him up with McDavid and they're the ones who keep suggesting he should be getting the same pay day as McDavid or close to it.

Leafs fans want a cheap deal. Who the hell is stupid enough to not want a 40G+ 90P+ stud two way C on a terribly cheap deal? But obviously the reality is what it is, he will get paid what he's due. Thankfully we have a AGM and capologist in place who was smart enough to lock up the likes of Kadri and Rielly to bargain bin deals and we are expecting him to pull out atleast a fair deal with all our young kids.

I personally have held the belief that Auston Matthews is well worth 10.5-11.5 million per but I think he's a team first guy and the Leafs are building towards a sustainable winning franchise with the potential to win multiple cups and if he wants to lead that charge as Captain of the team, he's going to have to take a bit of a pay cut. I'm going to say Matty will take a deal around $80 mil/ 8 years. He can make up the difference in pay from sponsorship deals, etc.

I also think we're going to bring back Leo and potentially sneak back JVR if he takes a huge discount.

Matty $80 mil/ 8 yrs - 10 mil/per
Willie $52 mil/ 8 yrs - 6.5 mil/ per
Mitchy $56 mil/ 8 yrs - 7 mil/per

UFAs
Leo $7 mil/ 2 yrs - $3.5 mil/per
Tavares (if they decide to go that route) - $70 mil/ 7 yrs - 10 mil/ per
JVR (if they go that route) - $24 mil/ 4 yrs - 6 mil/ per

Yep I'm with you for the most part. However the way Leo has played this year, I think 3.5 would be a huge mistake, and anything over 2 in fact. Tavares seems like a pipe dream that would ultimately hurt the Leafs, and I think the only chance to retain JVR might be a huge money one year deal

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Regardless of what any other young kids got, i find it ridiculous that kids can have one or two good seasons and bag 5-10 million dollar contracts at Max term.

Most young kids really don't have to play consistently for a few years to earn a big payday anymore. It's all based on one good season and "potential".

It's nuts.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yep I'm with you for the most part. However the way Leo has played this year, I think 3.5 would be a huge mistake, and anything over 2 in fact. Tavares seems like a pipe dream that would ultimately hurt the Leafs, and I think the only chance to retain JVR might be a huge money one year deal
I honestly don't want Leo back or JVR. I would however pay up for JT because I think he could be our version of Marian Hossa. A solid vet C who can take the load off the kids and he's still Kadri age so he still has 5-6 years of elite quality hockey left in him. Another thing is too that we don't have any quality C depth in the minors or the prospect pool as of right now so he also fills a big hole long term. All that said though, he will probably have to take a bit of a discount to come here. Is he willing to do that? I'm not sure but if I've learned anything from the Stamkos saga, he didn't come to the Leafs not because of the money (since he signed a dirt cheap deal) but it was the opportunity to win. Leafs finished in the basement with a top pick and we had no idea how things would've played out and it was a much safer bet for him knowing that he could just resign with his current team because they were on the verge of becoming a cup contender when healthy.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I honestly don't want Leo back or JVR. I would however pay up for JT because I think he could be our version of Marian Hossa. A solid vet C who can take the load off the kids and he's still Kadri age so he still has 5-6 years of elite quality hockey left in him. Another thing is too that we don't have any quality C depth in the minors or the prospect pool as of right now so he also fills a big hole long term. All that said though, he will probably have to take a bit of a discount to come here. Is he willing to do that? I'm not sure but if I've learned anything from the Stamkos saga, he didn't come to the Leafs not because of the money (since he signed a dirt cheap deal) but it was the opportunity to win. Leafs finished in the basement with a top pick and we had no idea how things would've played out and it was a much safer bet for him knowing that he could just resign with his current team because they were on the verge of becoming a cup contender when healthy.

Dirt cheap deal in Tampa is different than a dirt cheap deal most place though, but we'll see in July i suppose

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He's not taking anything less than 11m. book it. Lou can try his hardest to hold out but it's just not going to happen. All the young NHL kids are going to get paid and rightfully. Fans care too much about "cap space" and "cap hits" and it makes no sense. Support your team but support your players too.

If you want him locked up for 8 years, there is 0% chance he takes anything less than 11m. not even a penny less. His contract will be very similar to McDavid's. $1m salary and rest coming in as signing bonus.
Why stop at 11? Why not 12 or 13 if you’re throwing numbers out.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
With Eichel getting 10 and the cap going up to 78-82 million Matthews gonna get 11 million atleast. And why don't leafs fans want a 36 goal scoring JVR back? just cap reasons?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
As soon as Eichel signed his deal it insured Matthews was getting 10+. He has been better then Eichel in their first two years and I’m sure Matthews agent will use that contract as a bench mark due to their age, position, and ability.

That's not really how negotiations work though. You don't just point at the highest comparable and automatically get it, the team counters with the lowest comparable.

I'm not saying he won't get Eichel money but outside contracts do not necessarily set the bar so much as help the case.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
With Eichel getting 10 and the cap going up to 78-82 million Matthews gonna get 11 million atleast. And why don't leafs fans want a 36 goal scoring JVR back? just cap reasons?

Age and his usage.

He’s a sheltered depth scorer. A great one at that, but not a position you want to invest 6+ million of capspace on

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, in reality, Draisaitl hasn't earned 8.5 and Eichel sure as heck haven't earned 10 million....but here we are. Matthews knows he's better than each of them, and has every right to expect 10million at minimum.

It just sucks that 2 stupid GM's signed two comparables too contracts that are a little too high.

Somehow I had missed this one. Crazy contract is crazy.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is worth around 9M long term. But he'll probably be paid in that 11-12M range due to Leafs media/fan overrating of him.
For sure. He is so overrated. Garbage hockey player that did not deserve to be drafted in the 1st round. Should have been 6th round.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
Honestly, he is a fantastic player. But I really dont see why he should get over 10M, I just feel a lot of kids are getting the money too easy based on what-ifs etc, I'd like to see the actual numbers first.

On a second thought, Matthews might become the second best C in the league (and potentially second best player in the league) and then he is more than worth his money.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Your talking about a winger getting fed by mcdavid vs someone who carries his whole line . Matthews has the most 5v5 Goals in the last 2 season by a land slide likes it's not even close. If matthews scored on the power play he'd put at 50 goals a year i think he had 3 goals on the power play all year all his other 31 goals were 5v5. Hes a 2 way center not a winger.

Matthews is a great 2 way player hes super solid defensively what i've seen of dra he looks like an offensive player only

THE NEW LEAFS MANAGEMENT are really good at contracts . I think he will get 9.5-10mill yearly .

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, in reality, Draisaitl hasn't earned 8.5 and Eichel sure as heck haven't earned 10 million....but here we are. Matthews knows he's better than each of them, and has every right to expect 10million at minimum.

It just sucks that 2 stupid GM's signed two comparables too contracts that are a little too high.
Long term contracts like this for young players, they usually dont earn it in year 1, but you expect them to start earning it in the following years and then be underpaid near the end.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For sure. He is so overrated. Garbage hockey player that did not deserve to be drafted in the 1st round. Should have been 6th round.

Disagree. I think he's a great player. And leafs fans still overrate him

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad