Value of: Auston Matthews New Contract

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't get the sense OP is trying to bash the Leafs, his point is fair, Matthews getting McDavid-esque money feels like a rumor driven by Toronto media who don't watch enough of other teams to know how much talent is out there, or just don't care and continue to pander to the fans deeply planted in the Toronto bubble. They talk about Matthews like he is currently a top 3 NHL player, which he very well could be eventually but he just isn't all that close yet. If Leafs sign him above 10 million, I have little doubt he'll earn that contract, but he definitely hasn't yet

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't get the sense OP is trying to bash the Leafs, his point is fair, Matthews getting McDavid-esque money feels like a rumor driven by Toronto media who don't watch enough of other teams to know how much talent is out there, or just don't care and continue to pander to the fans deeply planted in the Toronto bubble. They talk about Matthews like he is currently a top 3 NHL player, which he very well could be eventually but he just isn't all that close yet. If Leafs sign him above 10 million, I have little doubt he'll earn that contract, but he definitely hasn't yet

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Other fan bases can be as pissy as they want but Matthews will be just as much the face of the NHL as McDavid is/ will be. You're looking at a star C coming out of the desert playing for the biggest market in hockey. This is Uncle Gary's wet dream to have a marketable big american stud fall right into his lap. The TO media is the one along with NHL network and the likes who are praising Matthews like he's god. They're the ones who are trying to put him up with McDavid and they're the ones who keep suggesting he should be getting the same pay day as McDavid or close to it.

Leafs fans want a cheap deal. Who the hell is stupid enough to not want a 40G+ 90P+ stud two way C on a terribly cheap deal? But obviously the reality is what it is, he will get paid what he's due. Thankfully we have a AGM and capologist in place who was smart enough to lock up the likes of Kadri and Rielly to bargain bin deals and we are expecting him to pull out atleast a fair deal with all our young kids.

I personally have held the belief that Auston Matthews is well worth 10.5-11.5 million per but I think he's a team first guy and the Leafs are building towards a sustainable winning franchise with the potential to win multiple cups and if he wants to lead that charge as Captain of the team, he's going to have to take a bit of a pay cut. I'm going to say Matty will take a deal around $80 mil/ 8 years. He can make up the difference in pay from sponsorship deals, etc.

I also think we're going to bring back Leo and potentially sneak back JVR if he takes a huge discount.

Matty $80 mil/ 8 yrs - 10 mil/per
Willie $52 mil/ 8 yrs - 6.5 mil/ per
Mitchy $56 mil/ 8 yrs - 7 mil/per

UFAs
Leo $7 mil/ 2 yrs - $3.5 mil/per
Tavares (if they decide to go that route) - $70 mil/ 7 yrs - 10 mil/ per
JVR (if they go that route) - $24 mil/ 4 yrs - 6 mil/ per

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You're living in a fantasy land if you think he would get less than that.

• He's gone ppg& scored 40 goals, Drai has achieved neither.
  • He destroys Drai in his +1& 2 seasons and has 1 more year left on his ELC.
  • He neither has a 2x Art winner on his line.
3 elite seasons >>> 1 elite season.

Not disagreeing that he’s better than Drai, but where are you getting 3 elite seasons from?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not disagreeing that he’s better than Drai, but where are you getting 3 elite seasons from?

He already has 2 under his belt(for young players) and has 1 more ELC year left.
With these kids you are always buying potential/expectations.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Everyone's been saying that Matthews will get a 10-12 million contract next year, more than Eichel and Draisaitl and not far off of McDavid. It seems to me that he hasn't done anything to justify a contract over 10 mil. Last year Draisaitl scored more points than Matthews career high, as well as a monster playoff. (best g/gp and p/gp, 0.46 and 1.23). Everyone still called his contract an overpayment.

Unless Matthews goes lights out these playoffs, I don't see him getting over 10 million.

It's his 2nd year in the league....40 goal scoring rookie, 2 way player, don't wanna call him elite 2 way just yet but definitely an elite C overall. Plays the #1C position for us, goes up against other teams top D pairings/shut down lines.

Also he averaged over a PPG this season, it doesn't always translate that way but he was on pace for a 45 goal season had he been healthy all year. Draisaitl has not had a PPG season yet. He's a much better player than Draisaitl and Eichel, he'll most likely get 10.5-11M.

Reactions: Walshy7

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They compare him to Mcdavid but they don't want him to get over 10m.... kinda funny lol
very few leafs compare him to mcdavid and obviously we don't want to make a lot of money. what a stupid post

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Other fan bases can be as pissy as they want but Matthews will be just as much the face of the NHL as McDavid is/ will be. You're looking at a star C coming out of the desert playing for the biggest market in hockey. This is Uncle Gary's wet dream to have a marketable big american stud fall right into his lap. The TO media is the one along with NHL network and the likes who are praising Matthews like he's god. They're the ones who are trying to put him up with McDavid and they're the ones who keep suggesting he should be getting the same pay day as McDavid or close to it.

Leafs fans want a cheap deal. Who the hell is stupid enough to not want a 40G+ 90P+ stud two way C on a terribly cheap deal? But obviously the reality is what it is, he will get paid what he's due. Thankfully we have a AGM and capologist in place who was smart enough to lock up the likes of Kadri and Rielly to bargain bin deals and we are expecting him to pull out atleast a fair deal with all our young kids.

I personally have held the belief that Auston Matthews is well worth 10.5-11.5 million per but I think he's a team first guy and the Leafs are building towards a sustainable winning franchise with the potential to win multiple cups and if he wants to lead that charge as Captain of the team, he's going to have to take a bit of a pay cut. I'm going to say Matty will take a deal around $80 mil/ 8 years. He can make up the difference in pay from sponsorship deals, etc.

I also think we're going to bring back Leo and potentially sneak back JVR if he takes a huge discount.

Matty $80 mil/ 8 yrs - 10 mil/per
Willie $52 mil/ 8 yrs - 6.5 mil/ per
Mitchy $56 mil/ 8 yrs - 7 mil/per

UFAs
Leo $7 mil/ 2 yrs - $3.5 mil/per
Tavares (if they decide to go that route) - $70 mil/ 7 yrs - 10 mil/ per
JVR (if they go that route) - $24 mil/ 4 yrs - 6 mil/ per
KOMAROV AT 3.5m????!!!!!!

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
He's not taking anything less than 11m. book it. Lou can try his hardest to hold out but it's just not going to happen. All the young NHL kids are going to get paid and rightfully. Fans care too much about "cap space" and "cap hits" and it makes no sense. Support your team but support your players too.

If you want him locked up for 8 years, there is 0% chance he takes anything less than 11m. not even a penny less. His contract will be very similar to McDavid's. $1m salary and rest coming in as signing bonus.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's not taking anything less than 11m. book it. Lou can try his hardest to hold out but it's just not going to happen. All the young NHL kids are going to get paid and rightfully. Fans care too much about "cap space" and "cap hits" and it makes no sense. Support your team but support your players too.
Mcdavid took only 12.5 million so why would he take no less than 11 million? IF anything he'd take less than for sure as he has a more superior core around him.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Matthews just an awful first game of playoffs. Didn’t look interested or engaged at all.

10 mil lol

As a Leafs fan I agree, we should just sign him to a long term deal cheap, he sucks but we can give him term.

10 years at 5 million, seems fair Matty, you DID suck in this one playoff game so you can't get 10 million.

GETERDONE LOU!

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
How was mcdavid in the playoffs?

He looked very generational

McDavidGolf.png

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Mcdavid took only 12.5 million so why would he take no less than 11 million? IF anything he'd take less than for sure as he has a more superior core around him.
McDavid didn't take THAT much of a discount from max contract. if McDavid or Matthews (even Liane to some extent) wanted max contract and held out, GM's would have to give them. They have no power in that situation.
Eichel got 10m with the pretty average first 2 years he had, I guarantee Matthews isn't taking anything less than 11.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Matthews doesn't have to sign a new contract this summer. He can wait until next and bet on himself having a strong year.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Not sure why Drai is being mentioned. Matthews agent is not going to be using him as a base. He will be using Eichel as a base.

If Drai was looking for a contract, his agent would use Matthews as a base. But he got his contract so his name is not needed here.

Matthews is getting 10m. Hopefeully he takes a discount and signs for 9m though.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Eichel contract is minimum of what Matthews signs for, likely more though.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He needs a stronger year than 69 points to get 10 imo...

So as it stands right now? 8.

But he will wait until next summer and likely have a stronger season provided he stays healthy. Which then would mean 10.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You can't win with players making over 10 mil. It kills your depth

10M is not what it used to be.

If Matthews extends this summer at 10M, by the time he is 2 or 3 years into his new extension, there's a reasonable chance the cap will have exceeded 90 million. If the Leafs sign Matthews to a 5 year deal like the Lightning did with Stamkos, they could be looking at the prospect of having to negotiate an all UFA year extension under a near 100M salary cap.

Unless the team is the Tampa Bay Lightning who live in an alternate reality where Steve Yzerman has somehow managed to convince players to take bridge deals, and then thank him by taking hair cuts on the UFA deals that follow them, teams should NEVER bridge sure thing superstars. Always lock them down long term because the cap perpetually going up deflates a player's overall cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->