Value of: Auston Matthews New Contract

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Contracts pay to the value of potential as well; not just prior achievements; the latter is called a bonus for incentive achieved;

In fact, contract's set fourth the terms for future term so ... future potential is really the consideration that demands the greatest attention - (if you were contractee and you were about to hand over a contract for upcoming term) do you think that Matthew's can live up to 10 million per (or whatever number you choose).

That's how I would frame the conversation and discussion - the rest of you that are basing it on his prior year is only rewarding what he's done in the past which was governed under his current contract.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
thankfully, the people arguing about the contracts will agree with you.

Not only do his numbers have to go up. But perhaps his commitment level and-the ability to tough it out with minor injuries needs to happen before he can be considered a 10 million dollar player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not only do his numbers have to go up. But perhaps his commitment level and-the ability to tough it out with minor injuries needs to happen before he can be considered a 10 million dollar player. Just my opinion, looking at him from the outside. Talent is there to become a decent player for sure

For sure. He's a chronically injured kid that hasn't done much yet but with some upside to be decent.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
HFBoards needs to make up its mind though...with every other star from A to Z being equal or better than Matthews according to the poll threads, I'm not sure how this assurance that Matthews will get an 8 figure deal makes sense.

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
Based on some of the other contracts out there I cannot see him getting less then 10-11 million a season on a long term deal. He will not get less then Eichel and justifiably so.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
HFBoards needs to make up its mind though...with every other star from A to Z being equal or better than Matthews according to the poll threads, I'm not sure how this assurance that Matthews will get an 8 figure deal makes sense.

It really is bizarre that so many think Matthews will get 11, but Laine and Barzal, who are better according to HF, are quoted at getting around 8 to 8.5 to 9.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Certainly not saying he's not a great player. That’s a steep contract for a guy with a bunch of “what if’s and projections”

I’d rather see him actually put up the numbers to get paid.

There have even been comparisons,in the Maple Leaf fan base to Mcdavid numbers. Off the top of my head I heard a stat he is almost 90 pts behind Mcdavid over the past two yrs. That’s a decent gap imo

And has my wondering if players that are only behind Matthews by 90 pts over the two seasons could ask for Matthews money??
Funny how you expect a rookie Matthews to produce like a sophomore McDavid. McDavid is too damn good for you guys to have to resort to Sabres Eichel tactics to diminish Matthews.

We get it, you think being a top goal scorer in the league as a sophomore is unimpressive, I think you are working very hard to down play someone you know deep down is a very good player. Everyone but Oiler fans seem to get this...wonder why?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

All year we are told Matthews is lesser than players. Barzal is already better apparently, nevermind Laine being better. In their threads people are saying 8-9.5 meanwhile the same fans come in and claim Matthews will get 11+. Maybe he will, but it will be because he is worth it, not because of whatever reason they are pushing.

Whatever, threads like this help me fill out my ignore list to people not interested in actual discussion (Don't care if someone disagrees with me, as long as they try to make an argument and not just declare shit which is obviously false or misstated in order to rile up Leaf fans).

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
He will come in a little under McDavid and a little over Eichel. The market is set and it’s one year later so inflation.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
All year we are told Matthews is lesser than players. Barzal is already better apparently, nevermind Laine being better. In their threads people are saying 8-9.5 meanwhile the same fans come in and claim Matthews will get 11+. Maybe he will, but it will be because he is worth it, not because of whatever reason they are pushing.

Whatever, threads like this help me fill out my ignore list to people not interested in actual discussion (Don't care if someone disagrees with me, as long as they try to make an argument and not just declare **** which is obviously false or misstated in order to rile up Leaf fans).
This is my favorite part. Matthews is overrated until contract talks come around and then he is getting McDavid money just cause...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
TBH this off season we can at least discuss numbers with all of our big three.

Wouldn't mind sitting them all down together and telling them we are going to be a cap team, it is up to them how much of the cap they want to eat. We can arrange some endorsements to help cover some of the gaps too I'm sure.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Lol. This victim complex that leaf fans are running with is getting old. Matthews is not overrated. Given age and talent he's one of the top players in the game right now and he'll get paid accordingly. Absolute lowest he'll get will be the Eichel contract 8 years 80 million. I'll guess he gets 8 years at 10.5 million a year.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I wonder if Lou will try and negotiate the big 3 contracts at the same time.
Try to get Nylander, Marner and Matthews deals confirmed and announced all at once.

Fear of Matthews getting 10+ is Marner can argue he is worth 80% of Matthews, and get paid more than if he was signed in a vacuum.
My dream scenario is
6m x 8 for Nylander
6m x 8 for Marner
8m x 8 for Matthews

Value wise keeping the big 3 together and on good deals will make it much easier for the team to be competitive. A winning Leafs team means more sponsorship money for everyone!

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Lol. This victim complex that leaf fans are running with is getting old. Matthews is not overrated. Given age and talent he's one of the top players in the game right now and he'll get paid accordingly. Absolute lowest he'll get will be the Eichel contract 8 years 80 million. I'll guess he gets 8 years at 10.5 million a year.
He is literally one of the most posted names in every "Who is overated?" thread on the main boards. So, it can't really be both ways.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
He is literally one of the most posted names in every "Who is overated?" thread on the main boards. So, it can't really be both ways.
Sure it can. There are people who know and watch hockey and they realize Matthews is one of the best players in the league. There are also people who know very little about hockey or are simply trolling Leafs fans that make posts about Matthews being overrated. Idiots are everywhere on message boards, crying because a few of them call your franchise player overrated is annoying.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It was also Draisaitl's first full season in the NHL.

I'm not hating on Matthews, I actually really like him as a player. I just think that he hasn't done nearly enough to justify a 10 million+ contract.

which is probably just one of many reasons you don't have a job in the nhl running a team and getting players signed.

the agent of Matthews will tell the team... pay us a fair price for the future or we wont sign long term. the fans of the team will scream... get our savior signed long term. the marketing department in the richest hockey city will advise the ownership that this guy is a licence to print money.

the powers that be will say... lets not sour the relationship by insulting the player with a lowball offer

that's how the real world works

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
TBH this off season we can at least discuss numbers with all of our big three.

Wouldn't mind sitting them all down together and telling them we are going to be a cap team, it is up to them how much of the cap they want to eat. We can arrange some endorsements to help cover some of the gaps too I'm sure.

Oh God. Marner doesn't need help getting endorsements. His Instagram is upsetting (moreso because I'm in advertising so I find it a bit weird to see one guy currently associated with so many brands).

15ee5o3.jpg

If it's pink, he got paid for it.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

I think you mean "logic complex".

Matthews will get 10+ million

every other star is basically as good as him

pick one please

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I would hope he takes a team friendly pay cut if he's a team player. If I was in his shoes I would take like 6.5 for 6 years, Nylander and Marner can both do 5 million each, if these guys actually want some quality teammates so they won't end up like the current version of the Blackhawks.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Everyone's been saying that Matthews will get a 10-12 million contract next year, more than Eichel and Draisaitl and not far off of McDavid. It seems to me that he hasn't done anything to justify a contract over 10 mil. Last year Draisaitl scored more points than Matthews career high, as well as a monster playoff. (best g/gp and p/gp, 0.46 and 1.23). Everyone still called his contract an overpayment.

Unless Matthews goes lights out these playoffs, I don't see him getting over 10 million.

Matthews CV is a helluva lot more impressive than Drai's after 2 draft seasons.
He scored 40 in his +1 season, went ppg on his +2 season, still another year left of his ELC& he's a full time C.

Matthews can easily ask for 10M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->