Value of: Auston Matthews New Contract

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Because some leafs posters want him to.

“Do the right thing Auston”

Yeh....that’s not going to happen. Some players will sign a market level contract based on past achievements, etc and then breakout the next year or two (see Mark S as prime example). AM’s agent is going to get his player full market value based on % of cap compared to other franchise type players see Eichel as example. Leafs won’t be getting any discounts from AM and before anyone quotes AM saying how he loves playing for the Leafs or in TO literally/virtually every player says that.....naive to think they would say anything else. AM will get 10.5-11.5 per year on a long term deal. Anyone saying less then 10 is dreaming.

The vast majority of Leaf fans know he is getting paid, the people saying otherwise are other teams fans trolling. Don't try and put that nonsense on us.

Reactions: Hunter368

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Oh Jack, back to your antics again.

Yup took 5 extra games to get 1 more point. Production is close. The third year player almost produces at the same rate as the sophomore.

Yup it is well established that the sophomore Eichel had a higher ppg than the rookie Matthews. It's still bizarre you guys take pride in this.

Tell us again how well Eichel has done in the playoffs against Bergeron before trash talking over 2 games. Tell us again how many playoff points Eichel has?

Why are you incapable of fair comparisons, people see through this nonsense you know?

I especially like how you flipped from emphasizing pure points when Matthews plays fewer games but has higher ppg and points per game when Matthews has more points. It's almost like you are trying to avoid admitting Matthews has had a better season.

I'd take your 1 extra point in 5 more games and run. I sure wouldn't brag about it.

That's the type of person. Just another leaf hater.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The vast majority of Leaf fans know he is getting paid, the people saying otherwise are other teams fans trolling. Don't try and put that nonsense on us.

All good, I was just responding to the guys comment and his comment about Leaf fans. I’m not saying I agree with his assessment or generalizations of Leaf fans on this subject

Reactions: Nizdizzle
Feb 24, 2017
All good, I was just responding to the guys comment and his comment about Leaf fans. I’m not saying I agree with his assessment or generalizations of Leaf fans on this subject

I said “some leafs posters”. Not “all leafs posters” or “many leafs posters” or just “leafs posters”(which could infer all).

I wasn’t painting all yalls the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Better than being swept by Boston in the 1st round when expectations was to win the Cup :sarcasm:

It's nice that you expect us to win the Cup but I have to question the value of your assessment when you do not even know a sweep takes four games.

Boy you sure got us with your fearless psychic predications. In what world do a hopeful prediction equate to any kind of comment anyone will take seriously?

Try again.

Epic Fail.

Reactions: Magic Man

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
They compare him to Mcdavid but they don't want him to get over 10m.... kinda funny lol
see that's the thing McDavid was overpaid, not saying he isn't elite or a great player, I just believe Chia jumped the gun with that contract....if he had a SC in his trophy case then maybe, but he didn't

basically he screwed up the balance handing out those two contracts

Mar 26, 2010
Edmonton has won a playoff round with that one player they have, over a team that isn’t the chokingest joke playoff team of our era.

What has “the big three” (lolllllllll) accomplished?

Auston Matthews - 40 goal rookie season winning the Calder. Missed half the season this year hurt with playing hurt the other half and still managed over PPG. All this at 20 years old. Yeah, he sucks.

Most choking team of our era? At least Toronto makes the playoffs... more than we can say for your garbage team. Even if the Leafs lose, we still got there!

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
At the end of the day, unless he wants to sign for less to keep more guys together (still no guarantee other guys will do the same) he’s going to be getting somewhere between 13-17% of the total cap. Whatever the cap ends up being is doing to determine what he gets. That’s what elite #1 C get at his age.

Feb 24, 2017
Auston Matthews - 40 goal rookie season winning the Calder. Missed half the season this year hurt with playing hurt the other half and still managed over PPG. All this at 20 years old. Yeah, he sucks.

Most choking team of our era? At least Toronto makes the playoffs... more than we can say for your garbage team. Even if the Leafs lose, we still got there!
So you agree with me, calling them “big 3” is a joke.

And the chokingest joke plSyoff team of our era is Washington. That’s who I was referring to.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Everyone's been saying that Matthews will get a 10-12 million contract next year, more than Eichel and Draisaitl and not far off of McDavid. It seems to me that he hasn't done anything to justify a contract over 10 mil. Last year Draisaitl scored more points than Matthews career high, as well as a monster playoff. (best g/gp and p/gp, 0.46 and 1.23). Everyone still called his contract an overpayment.

Unless Matthews goes lights out these playoffs, I don't see him getting over 10 million.

I'd have to agree with all the other posters on here.

He's an average 1st line C at best....but most definitely will be paid like McDavid money...

Because....F*** Toronto am I right boys?

Time to move to Philly....where I can buy a condo for less than my parking spot.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Stop living in the past, your garbage basement dwelling Oilers missed the playoffs again. McDavid is also way overrated by delusional oil fans.

Matthews played hurt most of this season and missed 20 games on top of that, while still managing to score over a PPG.

Overrated? Let's look at the facts:

McDavid:

Back-to-back Art Ross Trophy wins (2nd youngest to do so)
Hart Trophy
Ted Lindsay Trophy
Rookie season he was Rookie of the Month 3(!!) times in a shortened season (October, February, March)
NHL All-Rookie Team
Back-to-back All-Star Games (with Captaincy no less)
NHL First All-Star Team

He also got injured during his rookie year, where he missed 37 games and ALSO put up a point per game, which he's done all 3 seasons he's been in the league BTW, which Matthews can't say.

Matthews:

Calder Trophy
Back-to-back All Star games
NHL Rookie of the Month (December)
NHL All-Rookie Team

When it comes down to it bro, Matthews is the one who is overrated.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd have to agree with all the other posters on here.

He's an average 1st line C at best....but most definitely will be paid like McDavid money...

Because....F*** Toronto am I right boys?

Time to move to Philly....where I can buy a condo for less than my parking spot.

Average in point production but his goals and possession set him apart. His production per60 is also very high so he obviously still has room to grow.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Lost what?

How are the playoffs in Edmonton going for you bud.

Have a great night now :nod:

Playoffs are good man. We're watching your team being destroyed by the Bruins. Another 1st round exit coming up. We'll see you when you reach the outside.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It really is bizarre that so many think Matthews will get 11, but Laine and Barzal, who are better according to HF, are quoted at getting around 8 to 8.5 to 9.
Leaf fans/media tell me Matthews is 2x more valuable than Laine because he plays center.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'd love to see if you could find a quote or source to back this up. Or should we just write it off as more hysterical hyperbole from people with nothing better to do than try and troll Leafs fans.
You’re so persecuted.

https://www.tsn.ca/matthews-or-laine-sorting-through-the-loaded-calder-trophy-race-1.676448

“Matthews gets the slight edge on right-winger Laine because of how well he's performed at the more challenging centre position”

That took two seconds to find if you bothered to look. There is plenty out there.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad