Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews named Atlantic Division Captain

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I am going to get some abuse for this: but for me JT deserves it before Matthews.

Matthews missed 14 games and during that time Marner and JT were carrying the offence. Anyways, they all deserve to go, but it sucks now because JT likely doesnt get in.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am going to get some abuse for this: but for me JT deserves it before Matthews.

Matthews missed 14 games and during that time Marner and JT were carrying the offence. Anyways, they all deserve to go, but it sucks now because JT likely doesnt get in.
I will admit each time I voted for the captains I picked Tavares and it was because he didn't miss any games. However I am honestly happy for Matthews and the fact any Leafs player is one of the captains because Matthews, Rielly, Marner and Tavares all legit deserved to be one.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nah, the kids got a motor... if he gets selected, he needs to go have fun, what an experience. He deserves it.

SJ isn’t too bad so it’ll be OK to get it out of the way. Next year and beyond we can expect the Leafs to have long playoff runs so he’ll need the mid-season break.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Every team needs at least one player. Looks like Marner is gonna get shunned. Matthews, Rielly, Andersen from the Leafs imo.

Reactions: FishManSam

member 147413

Got to have someone from Detroit too, Howard? Although really Larkin is the one that deserves to go for that team.
Fair point

Matthews
Eichel
Kucherov
Marner
Larkin
Pastrnak

Rielly
Chabot
Yandle

Andersen
?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Everyone had a shot to vote. I voted those 4 guys who won with my 10 votes every day. I think those 4 guys plus Crosby are the 5 best players in the league right now. Obviously most of us thought the same thing. The only issue left to be decided in my mind is who will be better McJesus or the Big Cactus? I go back and forth. Love McJesus flat out speed, his lateral edgework and hands with puck. Love Matty's strength on puck, his shot, his overall 200 ft game, his passing and his creativity to make plays with his hands and feet to stick that no one else can even contemplate trying. But McJesus is the better PP guy and Matty is the better ES/60 player today. We will see how it plays out when both are injury free and both get same ES minutes and PP minutes. I think it will be Matty but I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see who the top dog in the league will be.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Fair point

Matthews
Eichel
Kucherov
Marner
Larkin
Pastrnak

Rielly
Chabot
Yandle

Andersen
?
I could see it being something like that, although I'm not sure if Andersen would make it if there's already 3 Leafs.
Some players that are really deserving to go are going to get shafted, Point being one of them if it happens like that. That's just how this system works though.

member 147413

I could see it being something like that, although I'm not sure if Andersen would make it if there's already 3 Leafs.
Some players that are really deserving to go are going to get shafted, Point being one of them if it happens like that. That's just how this system works though.
There’s no goalie comparable to Andersen in the Atlantic right now, none are close to his stats/gp

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Toronto - Matty
Tampa - Kuch
Ottawa - Chabot
Montreal - Price
Florida - Yandle
Boston - Pasta
Detroit - Larkin
Buffalo - Eichel

That's 8 spots so there are 3 left to be decided. Tampa being in 1st place will get 3 spots. Toronto in 2nd place will get 2 spots.

So my guess is Point and Vasy will go. And Rielly will get 3rd defender spot. I would be willing to bet this is how it goes down.

Is it right? No. But it will be how it goes down.

But I do think Vasy has played better than Andy especially in the big games. If it were based more on performance I would have Andy over Price this season. But Montreal requires a player and he is their best guy.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
"Sandwiched between that, the league’s hockey ops staff gets nine picks per division and will attempt to ensure each of the following criteria are satisfied:
• Have a representative from all 31 teams
• Include the top 10 to 15 league scorers at the time of selection
• Include as many of the NHL’s marketed “stars” as possible
• Ensure the host team, the San Jose Sharks, is well-represented"

Anyone want to attempt the all star picks now? :laugh:

Domi is a star? I’m so sorry.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Toronto - Matty
Tampa - Kuch
Ottawa - Chabot
Montreal - Price
Florida - Yandle
Boston - Pasta
Detroit - Larkin
Buffalo - Eichel

That's 8 spots so there are 3 left to be decided. Tampa being in 1st place will get 3 spots. Toronto in 2nd place will get 2 spots.

So my guess is Point and Vasy will go. And Rielly will get 3rd defender spot. I would be willing to bet this is how it goes down.

But I do think Vasy has played better than Andy especially in the big games. If it were based more on performance I would have Andy over Price this season. But Montreal requires a player and he is their best guy.

This is as accurate as it gets. Great post

Absurd system where Montreal has a legit deserving allstar in Domi, but Price will go instead. Meanwhile it’s likely that a 50 goal scorer in JT and Marner have no chance

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's a pointless game that very few fans actually care about. I wouldn't get worked up who makes it and who doesnt.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
There’s no goalie comparable to Andersen in the Atlantic right now, none are close to his stats/gp
That's true but I think the NHL representing each team with at least one player is more important than the most deserving players sadly.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Would certainly help with his confidence and a nice boost to his growth. I can see Auston being a captain in the future, wearing a C in any Original Six team is a great honour, with a deal of pressure, especially in Toronto or Montreal.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Toronto - Matty
Tampa - Kuch
Ottawa - Chabot
Montreal - Price
Florida - Yandle
Boston - Pasta
Detroit - Larkin
Buffalo - Eichel

No way it's not Barkov from Florida.

Btw this "one guy from every team" rule is such a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad