TSN: Auston Matthews goal celebration, yes or no?

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
You guys are all forgetting the point. It's not about being fun or not being a robot it's about pissing off the other team. You sit on the bench and see that and it gives you that little extra motivation needed. It will come back to you at some point, as we saw with Kane. Him and Kane are buddies but it could've just as well been someone who isn't his buddy and maybe he gives him an extra shot in the corner or something.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
It was a big time goal at a big time moment. He didn’t do it to show up the other team, he was just fired up. No problem with the celebration.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’m more concerned that people are saying Matthews and Kane are buddies.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
God forbid there's any character or animosity in the game....

Anybody else pissed he didn't apologise to the Hawks team on the way back to the bench?

I get the whole traditional values thing, but they don't exist in this sport (or any other) anymore, modern athletes are not what they used to be.
Im not lamenting, its just a fact, if you remove the old school policing element of the game then don't expect the old school values to remain.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Quite honestly, this is how it should work. It was great and added another dimension to an already amazing game.

Matthews celly is pure, raw emotion. No one jumps him. We play on.
Kane celly is pure, raw emotion. Matthews with the Okay, you got me smile. No one jumps Kane. We play on.
Game over. Matthews mentions it was just good natured fun.
Kane sums it up best: "That's entertainment right there."

It was a lot of fun. It doesn't need to be anything more.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He does something in jest once and people go overboard.

He the lowest key celly player ever.

And No, huge overplayed cellys are not in his future.

KyleSeaBass

Oct 5, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Do you realize the irony here?

What irony?

There's a big difference between me possibly getting tired with over the top celebrations all time and the media turning it into a front page controversy.

It's not something that would bother me too much, Matthews is a young guy and him constantly showboating would annoy me a bit, but I wouldn't crucify the kid or kick up much of a fuss about it.

That's a stark contrast to the venomous media that would constantly pester him about it at scrums and write story after story about it and make it front page news.

I think the media really needs to chill out, but that doesn't mean I can't be a bit bothered by something a player does.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not a fan of planned celebrations but Matthews seems more spur of the moment.
Love his passion.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought it was priceless when Matthews did it, and his expression on the bench when Kane did it back to him seconds later was classic.

20150913-CanYouHearMeNow-GalleryImage.jpg

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Matthews is just trying to give EA some new celly ideas. They have already used his 'good goal' celly.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Let us not forget Matthews and Kane have a great friendship and really use each other for motivation, as seen in their interviews near the end of the summer. Matthews heard a l0ud crowd, excited at a tying goal and put them back in their seats, while Kane had them standing up again shortly after. Its all in good faith, just don't hurt the Bruins feelings when you celebrate.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Didn’t mind this at all:

200w.gif

But when this happened, I completely understood and didn’t moan about it:

giphy.gif

Matthews can do what he likes but accept that there may be a reaction.

Reactions: Jackson14

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
So much yes. I loved the Matthews Celly....and loved the Kane rebuttal even more.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Matthews could pull his pants down and moon the opposing bench and I'm pretty sure everyone would give him a mulligan, because well, he's Auston Matthews.

Seriously though, I'm not a fan of the over the top cellies especially when there's still time on the clock and it's a close game. As soon as I saw him put his glove to his ear, I thought, "there's still one minute left Auston!". No need to fire up the other side, IMO.

However, if it was an OT winner, by all means, go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad