TSN: Auston Matthews goal celebration, yes or no?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
And the media wonder why players are robots these days, geezus. Yes!!!!!!!

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Wasnt much of a debate, all three on Leafs Lunch said they loved it.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Z7HeRxU.png

Reactions: Confucius

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
The game and everything to go with it was great. Matthews is not so emotive so when he shows it it means something. Gimme that once in a while and I'm happy.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
In the heat of the moment... dude was completely fired up... what were you expecting? There will always be critics. "Matthews doesn't show emotion." "Matthews is showing too much emotion." etc etc. People just like to nitpick. Anyway I thought it was legit. Just glad we pulled out the win because it wouldn't of been a good look if we lost.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I thought it was just enough. Not over the top. The moment called for it.

Yay for me. Normally he is composed to the point of nonchalance.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I liked it, and the Kane thing was fine too. Big goals at big points in the game, allow for some personality.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I think its fine the way he does it. He's not a player known for being an asshole. It's just like banter through goal celebrations. Kane probably loved it as much as Matthews enjoyed seeing it back. These guys gotta have fun some ways

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
If Sparks wasn’t complete garbage it would’ve been even more epic. But I love it, Matthews can do whatever he wants. He’ll be the poster boy of the NHL soon.

KyleSeaBass

Oct 5, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not a old-school hockey purist by any metric, but it was a bit much for the third regular season game of the season.

Save the theatrics for the playoffs.

Is the guy comparing this to the Bautista bat flip being serious? That was the deciding game in a playoff series, at home and one of the biggest games in Blue Jays history.

If you want the players to show more emotion tell the media to stop being such hard asses and looking for controversy all the time. Then maybe you'd get more players being themselves. Going overboard with celebrations gets old fast.

Don't need players being robots, but remember, right place, right time.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I have absolutely nothing against celebrations as long as they are not purposefully directed towards the opposing team. This was a "silencing the crowds"-thing that backfired, and to Matthews' credit he took that with a laugh.

It's ridiculous to me that something like is a controversy, meanwhile someone cruising by the opposition bench screaming out his satisfaction directly in the face of the players the other night garnered no reaction at all. I have no idea how Matthews' move is disrespectful but that wasn't.

I do agree with @KyleSeaBass that the timing was quite weird. A quiet game against a non-rival team in the third game of the season isn't exactly when I would have guessed that this would happen.

Kane probably loved it as much as Matthews enjoyed seeing it back. These guys gotta have fun some ways
He did mention afterwards that he disliked it and wanted payback, or something like that. However, my interpretation of that seemed very different from how media portrayed it. It didn't come across as Kane thinking that Matthews' showboated and disrespected the sport. It was more "don't come talking trash before the game is done"-dislike, and I think the way he wanted (and did) respond indicate that too. He just wanted to put Auston in his place a bit.

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Loved it when AM did it and got a good chuckle when Kane responded with the same

I think it’s great to see players get pumped up and show a bit of personality out there

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This was amazing. Would have been appropriate if it was the game winner, butKane coming back with his own, plus the insane finish to the game made it extra special.

Like was said earlier, this is great for the game. Matthews and Kane giving it to each other to the delight of the fans and both players rising to the occasion on the ice is what sports are all about.

Feb 24, 2004
I'm not a old-school hockey purist by any metric, but it was a bit much for the third regular season game of the season.

Save the theatrics for the playoffs.

KyleSeaBass said:
If you want the players to show more emotion tell the media to stop being such hard asses and looking for controversy all the time.

Do you realize the irony here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad