Auston Matthews finalist for Lady Byng Memorial Trophy

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I expect MAC will win it this past season and that's probably best
Should it not matter that in terms of their total penalty minutes Matthews had the least amount with 8:00 total, where as O'Reilly had 10:00 minutes and MacKinnon had 12:00 minutes. So I guess it depends is Matthews 47 goals better than MacKinnon's 93 points to decide who should win the award.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Should it not matter that in terms of their total penalty minutes Matthews had the least amount with 8:00 total, where as O'Reilly had 10:00 minutes and MacKinnon had 12:00 minutes. So I guess it depends is Matthews 47 goals better than MacKinnon's 93 points to decide who should win the award.
Yes and likely winner goes to vet where it is somewhat close

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe they figure MacKinnon won't him the Hart or Ted Lindsay awards, so this is their way of making it up for him to win something.

I'd give a slight edge to MacKinnon over Matthews for the Lady Byng because of the bigger difference in points compared to PIM. I'd also probably go with Panarin for the Lindsay. Not as certain about the Hart.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Reactions: Buds17

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Exactly. A hit most often is finishing your check after the puck is already gone. The hitting team is constantly chasing the team that has the puck.

I agree to a point. There are a boatload of teams who play heavy every year who don't win come playoff time. It all comes down to your talent being better than their talent when it matters, and most importantly....your goalie has to be better than their goalie.
There are two different uses of the body check. One is to separate the player from the puck, or vice versa. The other, 'finishing the check' after the puck is gone, is primarily for intimidation and attrition. Both have value. The former is more immediate, while the latter is more long term, and most effective in an extended series.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
For the life of me I don't understand why this award still exists. It's an award that players have no desire to win.

It's a nice recognition for players amongst their peers.

Still I think an certificate for the opposite would be better. Rather than a trophy/award, it could be call the Brad Marchand Certificate for the most dirtbag/cheap player that plays the game dishonourably. Players get to vote on it, and the "winner" has to pay a fine.

:laugh:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Playing the game at such a high level and within the rules is a great accomplishment. You can be physical and still win this award. It has nothing to do with that. Sure, Matthews could still be more physical and impose his will more out there but that doesn't mean he will take more penalties and have a higher PIM. You want him to be out there as much as possible playing at a high level for your team. Winning this award is not a bad thing at all. Is O'Rielly soft? Is Mack soft? No, they are not. They just play smartly and don't take any dumb penalties. They also respect others while on the ice.

Reactions: kb and Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->