Auston Matthews finalist for Lady Byng Memorial Trophy

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Has any player been nominated for this who dished out a lot of bodychecks but got relatively few penalties? I'm too lazy to check.

My hunch is no. And I'm happy that Matthews feels he could be more physical. He was at times this season and it's never a bad thing when your stars get a little snarl in their game. It's a high testosterone sport, not table tennis.

Agreed, he doesn't need to be a bruiser, he just needs to use his size effectively.

This is the sort of thing I want to see from him regularly.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I'd be surprised if Matthews is that chuffed about being nominated.
A player of his size needs to push guys around once in a while.
I'm betting that will be the next evolution of his game.

Byngo!!:thumbu:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Funny you mention that:

I'm glad he's aware of this and wants to incorporate this into his game. He doesn't need to go all out Lindros style, but using his size and strength to bull defenders off of him when he has the puck, or in puck pursuit will add a dimension to his game that will make him more impactful.

I've been noticing this for years. When Matthews plays a heavier physical game (within reason, not looking for Lindros style aggression) the game will probably get easier for him to play. Sundin would just stick his hip out, lower the shoulder and that would cause enough problems taking up more space.

Reactions: Slot and kb

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've been noticing this for years. When Matthews plays a heavier physical game (within reason, not looking for Lindros style aggression) the game will probably get easier for him to play. Sundin would just stick his hip out, lower the shoulder and that would cause enough problems taking up more space.
he's not a rookie anymore, he needs to utilize everything in the toolbox, the guy is only scratching the surface of what he could actually be imo.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
he's not a rookie anymore, he needs to utilize everything in the toolbox, the guy is only scratching the surface of what he could actually be imo.

If you watch Leon Draisaitl play, he doesn't have nearly the same skillset as Auston Matthews but knows how to take up space, make himself big and just go to the net in straight lines at speed. And gets rewarded a lot for it. Matthews could easily adopt some of those moves and would yield additional production by the bucketloads.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If you watch Leon Draisaitl play, he doesn't have nearly the same skillset as Auston Matthews but knows how to take up space, make himself big and just go to the net in straight lines at speed. And gets rewarded a lot for it. Matthews could easily adopt some of those moves and would yield additional production by the bucketloads.
I'd be over the moon if AM could use his size as well as LD does.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd be over the moon if AM could use his size as well as LD does.

Yes, I think Draisaitl is actually shorter than Matthews but is very bulky in playing style. All this is to say I think AM could very reasonably win the Hart and Art Ross with more aggression. So hopefully we see that.

Reactions: ACC1224

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

To be fair - this has ALWAYS been Draisaitl's game. If you remember him at the World Juniors he was absolutely terrific at holding up play, protecting the puck and creating space.

He just has that strength on the puck that you cant teach.

But you are right, if Auston can pick some of this up it would put him at the next level

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
For the life of me I don't understand why this award still exists. It's an award that players have no desire to win.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Hopefully it keeps Matty in that heavy body style he was rolling out towards the end of the season.

Him not wanting to win the Lady byng is the spark we need going forward hopefully.

Columbus is going to come out hitting hard.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Columbus can hit all they want. It's the team that scores the most goals that will win. Hitting a lot means you don't have the puck, which means you won't win.

Not rocket science here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Columbus can hit all they want. It's the team that scores the most goals that will win. Hitting a lot means you don't have the puck, which means you won't win.

Not rocket science here.
Playing a heavy style can create turnovers which can lead to goals. Number of hits is pretty meaningless on its own.

Reactions: rumman and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Playing a heavy style can create turnovers which can lead to goals. Number of hits is pretty meaningless on its own.
Exactly. A hit most often is finishing your check after the puck is already gone. The hitting team is constantly chasing the team that has the puck.

I agree to a point. There are a boatload of teams who play heavy every year who don't win come playoff time. It all comes down to your talent being better than their talent when it matters, and most importantly....your goalie has to be better than their goalie.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly. A hit most often is finishing your check after the puck is already gone. The hitting team is constantly chasing the team that has the puck.

I agree to a point. There are a boatload of teams who play heavy every year who don't win come playoff time. It all comes down to your talent being better than their talent when it matters, and most importantly....your goalie has to be better than their goalie.
Yep and as we’ve seen in the prior years when talent is close playing heavy can be a factor. Columbus will try this but IMO the skill gap is too great.

Reactions: kb

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I'm of the opinion that the most "well rounded" team has the best chance to win, if you can bring offensive talent along with good D and stellar goal tending then your likely to succeed. Bonus if you can physically punish your opponents and possibly intimidate them as the series plays out.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Not rocket science here.
Hitting typically results in getting it back sooner and more often. By forcing the play and imposing physicality players become more likely to make mistakes and turn it over. This is taught in Pee-Wee.

Matthews has physical advantages over many of his opponents and could be a lot more effective if he learned to utilize them. Malkin was a great example of someone who doesn’t really run around throwing hits but plays physical and uses his size and strength more effectively. Matthews should watch tape.

While individual awards are nice, the Leafs would be a better team if Matthews wasn’t so sweet.

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hitting typically results in getting it back sooner and more often. By forcing the play and imposing physicality players become more likely to make mistakes and turn it over. This is taught in Pee-Wee.

Matthews has physical advantages over many of his opponents and could be a lot more effective if he learned to utilize them. Malkin was a great example of someone who doesn’t really run around throwing hits but plays physical and uses his size and strength more effectively. Matthews should watch tape.

While individual awards are nice, the Leafs would be a better team if Matthews wasn’t so sweet.
Well, it works in peewee, that I will agree with. Having said that, I also don't see any evidence that the most physically imposing players winning any more than less imposing players.

Phil Kessel has how many cups compared to Iginla? Who is considered more of a playoff style player? Truth is, Pittsburgh didn't win because Malkin was physical. Pittsburgh won because of their depth of talent.

And Matthews has recently said that he wants to use his size more effectively. When you are someone who has his talent, you aren't thinking about physicality.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Well, it works in peewee, that I will agree with. Having said that, I also don't see any evidence that the most physically imposing players winning any more than less imposing players.

Phil Kessel has how many cups compared to Iginla? Who is considered more of a playoff style player? Truth is, Pittsburgh didn't win because Malkin was physical. Pittsburgh won because of their depth of talent.

And Matthews has recently said that he wants to use his size more effectively. When you are someone who has his talent, you aren't thinking about physicality.
It works at all levels of everything. Someone who is rushed into making a decision is more likely to make mistakes. Not rocket science.

Kessel vs Iginla is an odd comparison considering one was the captain and leader, and the other was a member of the supporting cast... it takes more than one but strangely enough when the leader is doing something the rest of the group often follows. Kessel was able to play his game because the Pens had already established their culture and playing style and he was able to be an effective complimentary piece. Long term, it was always unlikely to work and we already saw that come to an end.

Your last paragraph is pretty contradictory - you say Matthews acknowledges the need to play more physical but then say players with that talent don’t think about it... So, which is it?

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We saw Matthews' play the Malkin style in his rookie year. Then in 17-18 and 18-19 he completely abandoned it. Then all of a sudden Babcock got fired and Matthews almost immediately reverted back to the Malkin style.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
We saw Matthews' play the Malkin style in his rookie year. Then in 17-18 and 18-19 he completely abandoned it. Then all of a sudden Babcock got fired and Matthews almost immediately reverted back to the Malkin style.

While that is true, I think the shoulder problems were a big factor. Now that he's healthy and feels he can use his frame without reinjuring it, he'll be more confident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad