Auston Matthews finalist for Lady Byng Memorial Trophy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Have to be able to both be on the ice and make the most out of that time. He has clearly done that. Well deserved nomination in that respect.

Last edited:

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
Twitter is losing its mind that matthews got nominated for this award.
i even saw a sens fan say that Matthews doesn't deserve it because he trolled sabourin back in the preseason. :laugh:.

ROR or mackinnon probably going to win it anyways.

Mar 26, 2010
Didn't ROR crash into a Timmies and flee the scene?
He does not play for the Toronto Maple Leafs, so it doesn’t count. Only the city of Toronto and it’s players are subject to scrutiny and hate.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Personally I'd rather no Leaf be nominated for this award.

Heaven forbid that a Leaf be nominated for an award that's been won by some of the greatest Leafs of all time. Dave Keon won it twice and was mentioned as a possible winner in several seasons. Red Kelly won it 4 times. Syl Apps won it.

Nothing wrong with sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct. I'm disgusted that some fans thing there is.

I'm even more disgusted by the "Heh-heh-heh. It's named after a girl" attitude that some of the Beavises and Buttheads on these boards show.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Heaven forbid that a Leaf be nominated for an award that's been won by some of the greatest Leafs of all time. Dave Keon won it twice and was mentioned as a possible winner in several seasons. Red Kelly won it 4 times. Syl Apps won it.

Nothing wrong with sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct. I'm disgusted that some fans thing there is.

I'm even more disgusted by the "Heh-heh-heh. It's named after a girl" attitude that some of the Beavises and Buttheads on these boards show.
not to mention other winners such as Sakic, Kopitar, Bossy, Gretzky, St. Louis, Datsyuk, Kariya, and Ron Francis. Pretending winning the award is a bad thing is fairly stupid

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

Do awards really count when they had less players in the league then the NHL now has clubs.?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: This board never fails to deliver.

Reactions: Garthinater

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

You seem to be disgusted by a plethora of things.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'd be surprised if Matthews is that chuffed about being nominated.
A player of his size needs to push guys around once in a while.
I'm betting that will be the next evolution of his game.

Reactions: bax

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd be surprised if Matthews is that chuffed about being nominated.
A player of his size needs to push guys around once in a while.
I'm betting that will be the next evolution of his game.

Funny you mention that:

I'm glad he's aware of this and wants to incorporate this into his game. He doesn't need to go all out Lindros style, but using his size and strength to bull defenders off of him when he has the puck, or in puck pursuit will add a dimension to his game that will make him more impactful.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Funny you mention that:

I'm glad he's aware of this and wants to incorporate this into his game. He doesn't need to go all out Lindros style, but using his size and strength to bull defenders off of him when he has the puck, or in puck pursuit will add a dimension to his game that will make him more impactful.

Lol...lucky guess

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
There is nothing to be ashamed about being nominated for an award like this. It's still a major award. We heard the same thing from Mogilny when he was nominated and ultimately won it.

You can still play a tough, big bodied game and not feel the need to rack up major penalty minutes.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Has any player been nominated for this who dished out a lot of bodychecks but got relatively few penalties? I'm too lazy to check.

My hunch is no. And I'm happy that Matthews feels he could be more physical. He was at times this season and it's never a bad thing when your stars get a little snarl in their game. It's a high testosterone sport, not table tennis.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
There is nothing to be ashamed about being nominated for an award like this. It's still a major award. We heard the same thing from Mogilny when he was nominated and ultimately won it.

You can still play a tough, big bodied game and not feel the need to rack up major penalty minutes.

Mogilny didn't even show up at the award show to pick up the trophy though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad