Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Kid is a special player and we're damn lucky he plays for our team. He'll be the first Leaf to lift Lord Stanley's Cup since 1967.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Seriously, this guy is going to win the Hart, Lindsey, Rocket, Selke and maybe the Ross in his career. He currently leads the league in ES P/60 among all players with more than 10 GP. If his PP unit was better he would probable have a P/GP similar to Gaudreau.

Don't forget he has over 140 minutes less time on ice than someone like McDavid. That's like over two games of ice worth more. Diminishing returns or not, that extra time is extra time that you generate chances. As far as I'm concerned, Matthews would be top 3 or top 4 in scoring were it not for the injury. We will probably see more ice time when cap crunch happens next year.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Had one of the more quiet nights I've seen from him and he was still able to get my dad out of his seat.

You can tell he doesnt have the excelleration or burst he did early in the season.

Kid definitely looks like he can handle big moments and come up clutch.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Let me try this again. Matthews and Marner have played about 5 minutes together. In that time, they've scored three goals, two that counted (all three should have). You have to wonder: How productive would they be if they were together all the time?
— steve simmons (@simmonssteve) November 21, 2017

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Through his first 100 games he has 52 goals and 90 points
McDavid had 34 goals and 108 points
Eichel had 32 goals, 70 points

Over 82 games that looks like
AM: 43G, 74P
MCD: 28G, 89P
Eichel: 26G, 57P

Matthews is obviously closer to McDavid than people think. Definitely closer to McDavid than he is to Eichel

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Matthews is obviously closer to McDavid than people think. Definitely closer to McDavid than he is to Eichel

Auston produces on ES and plays a 2 way game.

McDavid just has faster skating and edges are superhuman other than that McDavid's game has a lot to be desired.

He may become better but as of now Matthews is not that far behind.

Also Matthews mins/Game were much less than McDavid. If Matthews played McDavid mins he might have been closer in points production.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

It's a lot closer when you also look at the ice time difference between McDavid and Matthews. I had the data at one point but I have to dig it up again but I believe McDavid played 200+ minutes in total in his first 100 games.

Lets say that Matthews gets one point per 20 mins of gameplay (reasonable consider he's on a .9 PPG pace per game) that is 10 more points. So the difference if you look at ice time is around ~10 points at best.

I'd rather have Matthews for this team. He's just too dominant on ES and that's where most of the game is played.

Reactions: The Cobra

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Auston produces on ES and plays a 2 way game.

McDavid just has faster skating and edges are superhuman other than that McDavid's game has a lot to be desired.

He may become better but as of now Matthews is not that far behind.

Also Matthews mins/Game were much less than McDavid. If Matthews played McDavid mins he might have been closer in points production.
McDavid is an absolutely phenomenal playmaker. He thinks the game just as fast as he plays it, and that's VERY fast.

Let's give credit where it's due. Both players are absolutely the most special players of this new generation (Mcdavid is still ahead until Matthews proves otherwise), and two of the most unique hockey players the game has ever seen. Dahlin may join them in this conversation in a couple of years.

Enough with the pissing contests. What a time to be a hockey fan

Reactions: The Cobra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->