Auston Matthews Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yep one of the very best All disciplines players in the League on both sides of the puck.

Nice results for Matty. Really surprised to see Barzal that highly ranked as his reputation had always been offense creation first (not one dimensional but mostly the points). The Trotz effect is squeezing his offense and still making him harder to play against. Also go JT!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
To put more context.

60 plus goal seasons have occurred 39 times in the NHL. 140 point seasons have occurred only 15 times.

This year we don’t know if McDavid and Matthews can sustain their current pace over a 82 game season.
There are two players Gretzky and Lemieux that you could likely eliminate to adjust them numbers to the rest of the mortals. The Gods fudge the numbers :)
Here is the list in this link of 60 goal scorers. It’s really notable that gretz and Mario done it 9 times combined. Then Espo and and a couple others that make up a big number of them like Hull,Bure and Kurri etc.It’s elite company and they all won awards for scoring prowess. Most Goals in One NHL Season
Lots of repeats but arare feat to score 60. Same can be said on 140 point seasons. 16 of 24 140 points plus seasons were done by Gretz and Mario. Espo done it twice and no others on the list repeated the trick.

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I just think McDavid’s 145 point pace is a big deal in addition to the fact Oilers rely so much on the Draistl-McDavid Line.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I need a GIF of that play to keep the puck in the zone on the PP last night.

take the time to appreciate this subtle genius we get to watch game in and game out his whole career:

Matthews_over_Vesey_PP_05012021.gif

(also, credit to Mo for reading it so well - mo's a bit of a keep-in genius himself).

striker3

Mar 26, 2019

good territory, goal scoring was also significantly higher during those seasons.

That graphic is slightly wrong. Mogilny/teemu lead the league in goals in 92/93 with 76 in 77 and 84 respectively. Both of which still above that .81 clip. Lemieux led in goals per game though. (69 in 60)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just think McDavid’s 145 point pace is a big deal in addition to the fact Oilers rely so much on the Draistl-McDavid Line.

Matthews 12 game winners gives this team swagger. There is something to be said for how much value Matthews bring to his team too.

We have a deeper roster that anyone else in the north but he is our bread and butter scoring machine. He’s every bit the threat McDavid is for my thinking overall.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Matthews 12 game winners gives this team swagger. There is something to be said for how much value Matthews bring to his team too.

We have a deeper roster that anyone else in the north but he is our bread and butter scoring machine. He’s every bit the threat McDavid is for my thinking overall.

I think If the Leafs were #1 in the League with Matthews performing as is, he has a legit shot.

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
At least he is getting more respect on the mainboards, gone are the days when some were saying he wasn't even top 10. Some have now relented he is 2nd or 3rd. Good for AM 34.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think If the Leafs were #1 in the League with Matthews performing as is, he has a legit shot.
We could be 3rd overall in the league. The higher the better for last change is important. Keefe is still going to manage minutes these last set of games while trying to finish as high as possible

LadyLala

Feb 20, 2021
It’s not anything personal against Matthews, it just amounts to others not being able to stand the Leafs having anything good. They say they’re not jealous and no cup since ‘67 blah blah blah, but it absolutely eats away at people to see Matthews doing what he’s doing for the Leafs. Any other team they wouldn’t even care and would have no issue with giving him the credit he deserves.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
That graphic is slightly wrong. Mogilny/teemu lead the league in goals in 92/93 with 76 in 77 and 84 respectively. Both of which still above that .81 clip. Lemieux led in goals per game though. (69 in 60)
You're right, should have checked myself before I posted that; surprised how often they mess these things up.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
18 goals in his first 18 games

Then he hurt his wrist

Now in his last 17 he’s got 17 goals

Literally goal per game when healthy. Generational and possibly the best goal scorer ever (TBD) who’s been held back by Babcock and injuries

Greatest Maple Leaf of all time when it’s all said and done. No doubt in my mind.

This doesn't even seem like it should be possible for a center that plays a great two-way game. Just unbelievable.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
It’s not anything personal against Matthews, it just amounts to others not being able to stand the Leafs having anything good. They say they’re not jealous and no cup since ‘67 blah blah blah, but it absolutely eats away at people to see Matthews doing what he’s doing for the Leafs. Any other team they wouldn’t even care and would have no issue with giving him the credit he deserves.

yes there is tons of jealousy. On any given day venture into the Oilers board. The Leafs are what get the convo going there.
The irony on that board is such low hanging fruit.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Love this stat:

Career Goals/60 all active players:
1. Matthews: 1.862
2. Ovi: 1.754
3. Stamkos: 1.621
4. Pasta: 1.583
5. Laine: 1.469

Career even-strength Goals/60 all active players:
1. Matthews: 1.651
2. Ovi: 1.435
3. Stamkos: 1.275
4. Vrana: 1.266
5. McDavid: 1.263

Matthews has more career even-strength goals/60 than any other active player has career even strength+PP goals/60 except for Ovi.

That is just bonkers.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Really wish we had 5v5 vs PP for that era. I suspect it brings these players closer than the per-game stats suggest.

Lemieux scored over half his points on the powerplay in 1995-96. Someone posted it here a while ago, and Lemieux also had 41% of his career points on the powerplay. In his comeback season he averaged almost 6 minutes of powerplay time per game, so I can only imagine how much he averaged in the prime of his career when scoring was way higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
This doesn't even seem like it should be possible for a center that plays a great two-way game. Just unbelievable.

Like I said, he’s simple generational. Anyone denying that is willfully ignorant and usually just salty that he’s a Leaf.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
meh. the only difference in their points comes from the PP really.

Our team ruined Matthews stats with our garbage PP.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It's not out of the realm of possibility yet that Matthews gets 50. He would need to really go off in one game but it's possible.

Reactions: WillNy29

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

It's just kinda sad that they've taken away from themselves the joy of watching Matthews make magic out there, just cuz they hate the leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->