Waived: Austin Watson

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The funny thing is, for the examples listed, there was at least some level of consternation when each was let go. When Taylor Beck was traded for a no-name facepuncher because he wanted a one-way contract (he's now on his fourth team since then, and has cleared waivers several times). When Cal O'Reilly was lost "for nothing!" on waivers, or best of all, "I'm glad we were able to get a prospect like Forsberg for Erat, but I hate that we had to include Michael Latta."

It just goes to show that as fans, sometimes we can over-value our own unproven assets. There may be a time in the season that there's a slightly higher chance for Watson to get claimed -- when a team is floundering and isn't happy with the options it has in its own deck, but in training camp, every team has spent the summer building a projected roster, and every team has 2 or 3 Austin Watsons. There's a reason that waiver claims are so uncommon at this time of year-- in fact, we just had our first one on Saturday.

Latta was too thin and not tough enough for the AHL. He was no surprise to me.

I liked O'Reilly and felt that he had NHL potential. Cal played 133 NHL games, with 16 G and 32 A, 14 PIMs. He scored 11 of those 16 goals for the Preds. He is playing for Rochester this season. He played 20 games for Buffalo last season, 3 G, 4 A.

Beck played 87 NHL games with 11 G, 12 A and 28 PIMs. He is with Bakersfield. Beck played 2 games for the Islanders last season, 0 G, 0 A, 2 PIMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad