Austin Watson Suspension reduced from 27 to 18 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
People are so self-righteous in these days it's really annoying. Read the details. Some people here seem to think that Watson beat her up. When in reality it was just a typical case of drunken couple at gas station. They argue and Watson pushed her. Sure that wasn't, but penalty was way too severe.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Why do I even bother. Go back and read the sequence of posts before you chime in as a 3rd party and accuse me of something I'm not even arguing.

Lol chime in as a 3rd party? I'm one of the people you quoted :laugh:

You should take this opportunity to educate yourself about domestic violence. Your lack of awareness about this serious issue is sad.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I wish I knew what actually happened. I don't know what is in this guys heart. I know I had a partner that was drunk and she attacked me. I pushed her away and got my ass out of there. To think, perhaps some bleeding heart sack of shit may report me ? Before even finding out what happened.

I read a few articles, have not kept up with this thread, but this is no Voynov. This seems like almost nothing, unless it was a real incident and they intervened to prevent exacerbation. Perhaps I am wrong.

Reactions: PredsV82

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Poor Voynov

Actually, this ruling is a positive for him. In that the NHL promised to deal with this case after the Watson case. Given the fact that the Voynov family travelled to LA, NY, and then returned to FLA this week, it's safe to say the ball is in motion. We'll see Voynov in an NHL jersey this season.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The topic is domestic violence. Something that commonly escalates, especially in cases where the woman is the victim. 94% of the victims of domestic violence related murder suicides are female.

man losing livelihood <> woman losing life

When a female poster says she's offended by this ruling because she is female - maybe she sees it through a different lens than you do. And that lens might be better suited than yours to weigh in on this topic.
Actually, the topic is the suspension, or rather the reduction of the suspension, and someone's gender does not make them better suited than me to have an opinion on that.

The league doesn't have an official stance on domestic violence, each case is unique and I'm not sure if a suspension by the league at all is warranted in this case, considering the league also doesn't have a stance on drinking and driving, or speeding, or being drunk in public etc.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Actually, the topic is the suspension, or rather the reduction of the suspension, and someone's gender does not make them better suited than me to have an opinion on that.

The league doesn't have an official stance on domestic violence, each case is unique and I'm not sure if a suspension by the league at all is warranted in this case, considering the league also doesn't have a stance on drinking and driving, or speeding, or being drunk in public etc.

While I appreciate you staying 100% focused on the thread title, I was merely defending a female poster that was being attacked for being female. An interesting parallel to the very topic of this thread when you think about it...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
While I appreciate you staying 100% focused on the thread title, I was merely defending a female poster that was being attacked for being female. An interesting parallel to the very topic of this thread when you think about it...
She was "attacked" for her implying that her gender made her opinion more valid on the matter, and you agreed with her.

Dont you find it sexist in itself that you inherently feel that a female poster needs your unsolicited "protection"?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
People are so self-righteous in these days it's really annoying. Read the details. Some people here seem to think that Watson beat her up. When in reality it was just a typical case of drunken couple at gas station. They argue and Watson pushed her. Sure that wasn't, but penalty was way too severe.
That's not typical.

Physically pushing or hitting someone as an adult, especially someone you love, is never typical. Being drunk isn't a reason to put your hands on someone.

Reactions: manilaNJ

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Unbelievable. Sportsnet brought up this point:

Tom Wilson 20 games for pre season hit
Watson 18 games for domestic violence

More like Wilson 20 games for predatory brain trauma against another player and a history of doing it. Then Watson 18 games for a single incident of a predatory push against the chest during a domestic spat.

Whatever you think about this case, using it to defend Wilson is absurdly laughable.

I have never defended Wilson. I think Watson's suspension should be higher than it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: kladorf2005
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad