Status
Not open for further replies.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Wtf kind of comment is this?

Welcome to the 21st century bud.

So let's try this again:

Female poster says any kind of domestic abuse is unacceptable

But because the poster is a woman, she's exceptionally disappointed in the arbitrator

Uhhhh....hypocrite?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How is it the leagues fault that an independent arbitrator (who got fired from the MLB for overturning a drug suspension) decided to lower the amount? They even expressed they were unhappy with the ruling.

In addition, Voynov was sentenced to jail for 3 months and has 3 years probation. Watson was in jail for less than a week.

I get you're upset due to losing a great player, but comparing these two cases is like comparing an apple to an orange. if Watson had the same sentence as Voynov it would be a different story.

I'm expressing dissatisfaction with the NHL's lack of a domestic violence policy. They're literally making these decisions up as they go along. Is that not a fair criticism without you trying to make it about me, especially given I even issued a disclaimer noting the difference?

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
I never said she can't have an opinion, but what does mentioning her gender have to do with anything?

Are men suffering from domestic violence?
Do men constantly live in fear of their spouse?
Are men the victim of spousal abuse then get labeled as a liar and told it's their fault they got beat?

Could you be any more clueless?

Reactions: QueerGirrl

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm expressing dissatisfaction with the NHL's lack of a domestic violence policy. They're literally making these decisions up as they go along. Is that not a fair criticism without you trying to make it about me, especially given I even issued a disclaimer noting the difference?

So what type of policy would you like to see? Domestic violence is never black and white, how exactly do you write in "x player will get suspended for y time, depending on z?"

In my view, both suspensions they dealt were fair given the severity of each case.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
So let's try this again:

But because the poster is a woman, she's exceptionally disappointed in the arbitrator

Uhhhh....hypocrite?

Are you trying any there are kinds of domestic abuse that are acceptable? In your mind where does it become abuse? Do women just need a shove every now and then to "remember their place"? How about a little backhand to remind them who is in charge.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So what type of policy would you like to see? Domestic violence is never black and white, how exactly do you write in "x player will get suspended for y time, depending on z?"

In my view, both suspensions they dealt were fair given the severity of each case.

I think even denoting a large bare minimum suspension would be a start. You're right that it would be silly to try to outline every possible scenario, but when we have two examples of entering the same plea and one is an 18 game suspension handled quickly and one is going on 4 seasons without even a pending decision after indefinite suspension, there's a problem regardless of the details.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Are you trying any there are kinds of domestic abuse that are acceptable? In your mind where does it become abuse? Do women just need a shove every now and then to "remember their place"? How about a little backhand to remind them who is in charge.

Ok, I'll play along.

Is there any instance where it is acceptable for a man or woman to be touched aggressively by their spouse? Or do you live in a world of absolutes?

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Are men the victim of spousal abuse then get labeled as a liar and told it's their fault they got beat?

Uhhh...yes. Is this a serious post?

Really this post is easily among the most offensive and clueless things posted in this thread.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

Oh boy. So men can't be victims of domestic abuse? Yikes. You sure you want to go there?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So let's try this again:

Uhhhh....hypocrite?
Domestic Violence of any kind is indeed unacceptable no matter if it is between male-female, female-male or same sex.

As a female hockey fan, I'm upset that an arbitrator reduced Watson's suspension because it feels like what he did is being swept under the rug.

I'm also upset because it also sets a dangerous precedent should another player find themselves in a similar situation.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Reactions: Exit Dose

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Ok, I'll play along.

Is there any instance where it is acceptable for a man or woman to be touched aggressively by their spouse? Or do you live in a world of absolutes?
"Touched aggressively" is not the same as "domestic abuse."

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well I certainly don't equate it with "not guilty".

Keep sticking up for the abuser, though! Thumbs up.

Nolo contendre as a practical matter means that the accused will not admit guilt but is willing to accept a negotiated punishment.

It usually is a sign of the prosecution knowing that their case is good but not iron clad and the defendant knowing they could incur a lot of expense and a more severe punishment if they chose to contest the charge.

Given the very minimal punishment offered to Waston by the prosecution and accepted by the court, it's absolutely silly to try to use the argument "well if he really was innocent he would have fought the charges and since he didnt he's guilty as hell."

The XM guys at noon were griping about why an arbiter was allowed to overrule the NHL. (But it was Boomer and he made the same argument about the Supreme Court so that gives you a hint about the depth of his intellect). But the fact is the NHLPA will never give up the right to independent arbitration in these cases. It's the price of doing business.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
"Touched aggressively" is not the same as "domestic abuse."

Really? Care to define domestic violence? If someone sternly points there finger at their partner and touches that person in the chest with their finger, what's that?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know which suspension length is correct (likely neither) but I am surprised by how many people apparently don't understand what an arbitrator is.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think even denoting a large bare minimum suspension would be a start. You're right that it would be silly to try to outline every possible scenario, but when we have two examples of entering the same plea and one is an 18 game suspension handled quickly and one is going on 4 seasons without even a pending decision after indefinite suspension, there's a problem regardless of the details.

One was being deported and has yet to be allowed back into the country's in which the nhl plays in.

He was suspended indefinately depending on the outcome of the charges being laid. Voynov left the country and the nhl before his charges could be fully given to him.

Again much different situations. This is pretty much the 1st case of domestic disput the nhl has actually suspended a player for. So there isn't many cases to draw from for if they are consistent or not.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Who cares that she brought up her own gender? If you find it immaterial, ignore it.

Because it clearly implies that she is exceptionally upset with the arbitrator's decision because the victim is female, which is to create a distinction between the "level" of abuse sustained by make victims and diminish the seriousness of domestic violence against men.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I don't know which suspension length is correct (likely neither) but I am surprised by how many people apparently don't understand what an arbitrator is.
I think the issue here is whether it should have been allowed to be appealed in the first place.

I'd love to hear from the arbitrator as to why he reduced the suspension.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Uhhh...yes. Is this a serious post?

Really this post is easily among the most offensive and clueless things posted in this thread.

Oh boy. So men can't be victims of domestic abuse? Yikes. You sure you want to go there?

These boards never cease to amaze me. Please enlighten us with your stats on how many males are the victims of domestic abuse compared to females. I'll give you a hint: there is no comparison.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I do agreee that they could have a minimum suspension, but simply saying they have the same plea is pretty disingenuous. In the end, Voynov's was charged with "one felony count of corporal injury to a spouse with great bodily injury."

Plus, Voynov made the decision to leave back to Russia instead of follow with the deportation proceedings. The Kings also terminated his contract. If Voynov decided to try and stay in the US instead of simply bolting to the KHL, there would be closure to the situation.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Because it clearly implies that she is exceptionally upset with the arbitrator's decision because the victim is female, which is to create a distinction between the "level" of abuse sustained by make victims and diminish the seriousness of domestic violence against men.
Not even close to being accurate.

I never said a word about the victim and I am in no way diminishing domestic violence against men.

You live in a f***ed up, warped world.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Domestic Violence of any kind is indeed unacceptable no matter if it is between male-female, female-male or same sex.

As a female hockey fan, I'm upset that an arbitrator reduced Watson's suspension because it feels like what he did is being swept under the rug.

I'm also upset because it also sets a dangerous precedent should another player find themselves in a similar situation.

Hope this clarifies things for you.
the suspension was too severe as it is, the arbitrator ruled correctly and isn't getting swept under the rug. they look at all parties and evidence, 18 game suspension for this guy is a massive loss of money outside of what he already has done to his own name...we need to calm down here a bit with some of this stuff, the man is paying a steep price for his actions and deservedly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad