Austin Watson Suspension reduced from 27 to 18 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Then they should have suspended him 18 games in the first place. Reducing the suspension (by any amount) only sends the message that the league doesn't consider abuse and violence to that big of a deal.
The league didn't reduce it, a neutral arbitrator did. They are bound to respect the arbitrator's decision, I am sure.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Suspension was excessive before, still excessive now.
I think putting your hands on a spouse to the point you are given an assault charge warrants some punishment.

18 games for a misdemeanor sounds fair enough. Maybe a little less.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Going to be so pissed if Wilson’s isn’t reduced to 16 or fewer

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So giving your girlfriend a shove or actually breaking her jaw with a punch and kicking her on the ground are completely the same?

Absolutely not.

But one's got now an 18 game suspension (bad decision, NHL), and one's got--depending on how you view it--either a 245-game or, at the very least, an 81-game-and-still-counting suspension with no conclusion in sight.

NHL reallllyyy needs to commit their DV policy to writing to avoid inconsistencies and scrutiny otherwise any event is going to look horrible by optics almost no matter what, like the shortening of Watson's. Obviously there's a difference in the scenarios, but having so much leeway looks bad.

Last edited:

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
DpUqd6QWsAMxrfs.jpg:large

Sounds like the league is not very happy about this independent arbitrator's decision

Reactions: dukeofjive

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Seems fair for what we know of the case. I'm the arbitrator got the whole story and is paid to not react and be emotional without getting the facts of the case unlike people on here

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Well I certainly don't equate it with "not guilty".

Keep sticking up for the abuser, though! Thumbs up.

The abuser? So any time a guy touches a woman, regardless of context, that's abuse? Tell us what it was like growing up in the candycane forrest surrounded by rainbows and unicorns? Those of us back in reality are interested to know.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This case makes it abundantly clear that the league needs an iron-clad policy on domestic violence that spells out the minimum number games a player gets for 1st offense, 2nd etc. These minimums should be non-negotiable and exempt from appeal.

As a woman, I'm angry that this suspension was reduced.

This is on the arbitrator not the NHL.

Domestic violence of any kind is inexcusable and anyone making jokes about it or simply brushing it aside is why women and men do not come forward or who are reluctant to press charges.

Some people need to really think before they post.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This case makes it abundantly clear that the league needs an iron-clad policy on domestic violence that spells out the minimum number games a player gets for 1st offense, 2nd etc. These minimums should be non-negotiable and exempt from appeal.

Domestic violence of any kind is inexcusable and anyone making jokes about it or simply brushing it aside is why women and men do not come forward or who are reluctant to press charges.

I never have liked a 1st offense, 2nd offense type punishment.

Like has been brought up already. Voynovs and watsons domestic abuse charges were bad but very different. the 1st and 2nd offense type punishment would be counted the same.

So in other words it would be saying beating your gf/wife to near hospitalization is the same as giving her a push that barely does any damage. Both are domestic abuse but both should not be punished the same.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I never have liked a 1st offense, 2nd offense type punishment.

Like has been brought up already. Voynovs and watsons domestic abuse charges were bad but very different. the 1st and 2nd offense type punishment would be counted the same.

So in other words it would be saying beating your gf/wife to near hospitalization is the same as giving her a push that barely does any damage. Both are domestic abuse but both should not be punished the same.
You are spot on that they are different but there should be language in the policy that if this is felonious in nature, the punishment is in line with Voynov's.

All I truly want is these types of suspensions to be exempt from appeal.

I'm also deeply troubled that the arbitrator seems to have a history of making controversial rulings yet was allowed to hear a case like this.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

Hmmm....does not compute

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Absolutely not.

But one's got now an 18 game suspension (bad decision, NHL), and one's got--depending on how you view it--either a 245-game or, at the very least, an 81-game-and-still-counting suspension with no conclusion in sight.

NHL reallllyyy needs to commit their DV policy to writing to avoid inconsistencies and scrutiny otherwise any event is going to look horrible by optics almost no matter what, like the shortening of Watson's.

How is it the leagues fault that an independent arbitrator (who got fired from the MLB for overturning a drug suspension) decided to lower the amount? They even expressed they were unhappy with the ruling.

In addition, Voynov was sentenced to jail for 3 months and has 3 years probation. Watson was in jail for less than a week.

I get you're upset due to losing a great player, but comparing these two cases is like comparing an apple to an orange. if Watson had the same sentence as Voynov it would be a different story.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad