Austin Watson Suspension reduced from 27 to 18 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So can Schmidt have his suspension reduced to 10 games then?

Don't you think that it's a bit hypocritical to argue that this is a bad look for the NHL and then turn around and ask to see it again? That makes it look like your criticism is based not on what you feel is fair for the crime, but in what you feel is fair for your team.

Reactions: AnimalFear

shello

Mar 5, 2011
Dana Point, CA
Yet Voynov can't even join a team after being suspended for an eternity.

"According to the Los Angeles Times, which cited court documents and police records, Marta Varlamova told police that her husband punched her in the jaw, choked her three times, kicked her five to six times and that he had pushed into the corner of a flat screen TV, opening a gash above her left eye in an October 2014 incident."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...oynov-domestic-violence-nhl-return/760110002/

Yea not the same as Watson's case

Reactions: Alicat

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
"According to the Los Angeles Times, which cited court documents and police records, Marta Varlamova told police that her husband punched her in the jaw, choked her three times, kicked her five to six times and that he had pushed into the corner of a flat screen TV, opening a gash above her left eye in an October 2014 incident."
NHL should do right thing again: Don't let Slava Voynov back

Yea not the same as Watson's case

So you think that if Watson jumped from the turnbuckle and tombstoned his girlfriend, then the NHL would take it more seriously?

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Do people just not get the concept of appeals that are heard by independent arbiters or something? It really seems like it.

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
I wonder how many people, at first glance, were afraid this was another Auston Matthews thread.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Brutal optics on this one.....can't imagine the Preds fanbase is too thrilled to have a woman beater skating for them sooner rather than later.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
are the preds actually waiting for him to return or is missing nearly a quarter of the season still likely to mean he's lost his bottom 6 role?

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
When I was driving home recently I saw a bus drive by with an anti-domestic violence ad on the saide that said something like "It was just a little shove." with the words "just" and "little" crossed out. I immediately wondered if that was inspired by Watson's case.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Lmao what the hell are we even doing if we’re not taking domestic abuse seriously
I have some questions on this topic, more than it beeing an opinion.

League gave him 27 games and the arbitrator reduced it to 18.
If the league gave him a 12 game suspension and the arbitrator raised it to 18 everyone would probably be "happy" about it because they "take a stance" on it? How do we know/How can we say the league are taking this seriously or not?

Are there any guidelines for suspending players for domestic violence? What are they?

I mean we can all agree its awful etc but there has to be a rule or something about this in the CBA?
Just throwing 27 out there and reducing it to 18 makes me go OK? This means what?

Its easy to say that the arbitrator shouldnt have reduced it but there has to be some guidelines here that answers all the questions above?
Its a little weird to say its bad etc etc by the arbitrator unless we actually know what the hell is going on behind the scenes?
There has to be a rationel explanation behind this decision by both the league and the arbitrator?

Last edited:
Reactions: Garbage Goal

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Unbelievable. Sportsnet brought up this point:

Tom Wilson 20 games for pre season hit
Watson 18 games for domestic violence

More like Wilson 20 games for predatory brain trauma against another player and a history of doing it. Then Watson 18 games for a single incident of a predatory push against the chest during a domestic spat.

Whatever you think about this case, using it to defend Wilson is absurdly laughable.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I have some questions on this topic, more than it beeing an opinion.

League gave him 27 games and the arbitrator reduced it to 18.
If the league gave him a 12 game suspension and the arbitrator raised it to 18 everyone would probably be "happy" about it because they "take a stance" on it? How do we know/How can we say the league are taking this seriously or not?

Are there any guidelines for suspending players for domestic violence? What are they?

I mean we can all agree its awful etc but there has to be a rule or something about this in the CBA?
Just throwing 27 out there and reducing it to 18 makes me go OK? This means what?

Its easy to say that the arbitrator shouldnt have reduced it but there has to be some guidelines here that answers all the questions above?
Its a little weird to say its bad etc etc by the arbitrator unless we actually know what the hell is going on behind the scenes?
There have to be a rationel explanation behind this decision by both the league and the arbitrator?
I'm not sure but i think it has something to do with Tom Wilson

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Because beating the crap out of a woman is far less grievous than 7 parts per billion of a PED marker or gunning for a headshot in game play. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I loves witch hunts. Nothing but good results.

Men are eeeeeevil.

Women are pure sugar and goodness.

A woman could NEVER do ANYTHING wrong in an altercation with a man. Don't forget that, guys. And keep a good distance.

And as always, #metoo #penisesareweapons #menaredemons
#womenareangels

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I loves witch hunts. Nothing but good results.

Men are eeeeeevil.

Women are pure sugar and goodness.

A woman could NEVER do ANYTHING wrong in an altercation with a man. Don't forget that, guys. And keep a good distance.

And as always, #metoo #penisesareweapons #menaredemons
#womenareangels

Yeah, why can't we hit them with a switch when the get out of line? Grow up you troglodyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->