News Article: Austin Watson suspended indefinitely after alcohol-related relapse

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Gutted for the family. Hope they can get the support they need. Their kid needs to have a a stable and safe environment to grow up in. Hockey is an irrelevant consideration at this point.

Just a friendly reminder everyone, the trolls and baiters will be out in full force. Use the report button.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The thing that sucks is a lot of players like to get after it and rip it up when they're off but unless they're a documented alcoholic no one seems to care. It's just the way it is. Subban literally just had a video on youtube for NBC where he ordered and talked about getting cocktails at a bar in Franklin (he may not have actually drank anything but NBC showed the ingredients to what he ordered). Drinking is just a part of culture to many people, especially in hockey. When someone has a problem like this it's a very hard thing to manage.
Yeah, A LOT of players go hard in their off time, even today (it was of course even worse years ago). I imagine that Watson put himself under closer scrutiny than most players with the summer incident, however. He couldn't get away with what many others might.

Aside from it sucking for him and his family, as everybody has pointed out already, it does also suck for the team, because he was playing pretty well and I was pleasantly surprised at how effective he had been despite the long suspension layoff and everything. He's definitely a player we needed for the playoffs. :(

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Putting Ribiero and Watson in the same sentence is disingenuous. While Watson may have made mistakes, Ribiero seems like a legit *******. Didn't they write the scuzzy Quebec player in Goon about Ribiero, allegedly?
I don’t wish for either of them- or others- to live on the streets. Empathy and compassion aren’t earned, they are given.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don't know if you're referring to my post but I didn't say I don't understand it. I just don't comprehend why it affects some people, like myself for example, more dangerously than most others. Or why certain substances are desired by some addicts whereas others aren't. It's just a weird thing.

Nope not really targeted at anything specific.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
My heart aches for him and his family. I am a recovering alcoholic myself. Got sober while in college. I had to change my playmates and play places. Maybe hockey is not the place for him to be right now.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Well, crap. All the best to him and all the people close to him.

I certainly hate this whole situation and what Watson has done to cause it. But holy smokes, the main board court of law is a cesspool.
Yeah I'm not going there....

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Bad all around.

We had a playoff grit problem; now we really have one.

Hopefully a chance he can come back, but i'm sure unlikely.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Feel bad for Austin and his family.

I hope Austin is able to come out of this clean and healthy and can get his life back on track to be able to take care of himself and his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad