Austin Watson statement on arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemini

May 12, 2011
Ah, alcoholism, that most special disease that one can get rid of simply by making a decision and sticking to it. If only other diseases were like that.

Also curious is how merely uttering the words "I am an alcoholic" immediately affects certain segments of the population, making them willing to forgive and excuse almost anything you do.

Next it's gonna be obesity that's not anyone's fault but a mere accident of nature inflicted upon you; after all, who could possibly be held responsible for being stupid, lazy and hedonistic?

Reactions: Helistin

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Oh good, another candidate that will write about their tough times on the players’ tribute site.

Alcoholism is self inflicted, sorry. I broke two vertebrae in my back and took pain killers for a month. I stopped cold turkey on my own; it was hard but definitely doable.
What if you hurt your back worse and had to take stronger pain killers, what if your doctor over prescribed, what if you had to take them for more than a month? You easily could have been in a situation where it would have been much harder to get off of them. Your experience getting over them is not the same as the next persons.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wel

Legally, you cant blame assault on addiction. No psychiatrist or psychologist has been able to convince a judge in Canada or the USA that it wasn't their clients fault because of Alcohol.
So I'm gonna go with them.

If he just got drunk and drove to q gas station and got angry I'd be able to say that ducks get him in rehab.
But he hit someone, and caused visible bodily harm.
Lock him up

If he really did seriously assault his wife, with the intention of harming her, I would be saying something far, far different. I have no sympathy for domestic abusers. But we both know that really isn’t what happened here.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
It's generally best to avoid blanket statements when it comes to addiction and alcohol abuse, because these situations and what factors in often vary from person to person.

I wish Watson and his family well, especially for the sake of that child.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I didn't know that this board needed a "Shit on Alcoholics" thread, so imagine my surprise when I read this one.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ah, alcoholism, that most special disease that one can get rid of simply by making a decision and sticking to it. If only other diseases were like that.

Also curious is how merely uttering the words "I am an alcoholic" immediately affects certain segments of the population, making them willing to forgive and excuse almost anything you do.

Next it's gonna be obesity that's not anyone's fault but a mere accident of nature inflicted upon you; after all, who could possibly be held responsible for being stupid, lazy and hedonistic?

Yeah, here’s another person who also has no clue what the f*** they’re talking about lol. This is just bullshit all around.

I would forgive what Watson did if he wasn’t an alcoholic. His drunken wife was behaving belligerent and he quite literally shoved her away from him. He didn’t hurt her. He didn’t cause any sort of bodily harm.

If this were Slava Voynov coming out to the press and saying that he did what he did because he was an alcoholic, that would be a lot different. I wouldn’t forgive him for it. This is different.

Obesity is very different than alcoholism, but it’s not a coincidence that rates are significantly rising in America where factors that cause obesity such as higher oil contents found in foods, heavy social emphasis placed on calorie dense foods, increased stress and decreased sleep due to increasing work hours, are all becoming more and more prevalent. If every obese person was obese entirely because of themselves, obesity rates wouldn’t be changing so often and they wouldn’t be so different in different countries.

Reactions: nbwingsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad