Austin Watson statement on arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Seems like he's trying to better himself and just wants to shed some light on his struggles (and hers). We always hear about how people in the spotlight should be more forthcoming with their issues and let people know they're seeking help because it shows others they can reach out to someone and do the same. I personally don't think the initial situation was as serious as a man beating the heck out of his spouse, from the limited info given initially it seemed exactly like he said, a heated debate between two people that a 3rd party person saw and reported.

Deegee

Oct 29, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Alcoholism is a real problem and a part of the overall hockey culture. It doesn't forgive any actions he may have done, but it should be taken more seriously as a disease for people. My whole family is predisposed to alcoholism and different family members have battled it to different degrees. For this reason alcohol doesn't come into our house as I am worried about ever becoming addicted to the drink.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Alcoholism is a real problem and a part of the overall hockey culture. It doesn't forgive any actions he may have done, but it should be taken more seriously as a disease for people. My whole family is predisposed to alcoholism and different family members have battled it to different degrees. For this reason alcohol doesn't come into our house as I am worried about ever becoming addicted to the drink.

Reminds me of something I was thinking about today listening to country radio and how every single male artist sang about whiskey and drinking. It was so stupid.

We know guys like Duchene listen to country music and we even have a team in Nashville, so we know there is a connection between the music and the players.

Alcohol is a problem in hockey and the first step to beating it is realizing that there is a problem.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I hope Austin and his girlfriend and family find their way through these struggles. Anyone who is overly judgmental needs to take a step back and breathe for a minute. Nobody is perfect, and someone who recognizes their faults and is actively trying to better themselves should be commended.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Reminds me of something I was thinking about today listening to country radio and how every single male artist sang about whiskey and drinking. It was so stupid.

We know guys like Duchene listen to country music and we even have a team in Nashville, so we know there is a connection between the music and the players.

Alcohol is a problem in hockey and the first step to beating it is realizing that there is a problem.
I can't help but think there is something else that creates a stronger connection to pro hockey players and drinking than country music. Can't put my finger on it though.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

To me alcoholism is a symptom.

If he really has mental health issues (anxiety and depression) that’s the problem that needs to be addressed.

Using alcohol to alter the reality you face when you are sober is understandable but destructive. You need treatment for the underlying issue.

Our society does not fund support for treatment of these issues to any large extent.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't know why my original comment yesterday was deleted but so much other junk is allowed to remain here.

Anyway, people need to read through the case details here rather than forming an opinion off of headlines. Posting anything with the words "beat his wife" in regards to the Watson case is just factually ignorant.

#1 it is his girlfriend, not his wife

#2 by all accounts it was a case of shoving/grabbing/falling, not "beating"

All of the statements made, and the resulting punishment are proof that comparing Watson to other DV cases, such as Voynov, is illogical.

Reactions: Gnashville and dood

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Oh good, another candidate that will write about their tough times on the players’ tribute site.

Alcoholism is self inflicted, sorry. I broke two vertebrae in my back and took pain killers for a month. I stopped cold turkey on my own; it was hard but definitely doable.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
So with this new versions of events, isn't he pretty much admitting to being drunk during that altercation? And if so, shouldn't he have gotten a DUI to go along with those DV charges? According to the witness he was driving

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This statement feels like he's using it as an excuse. He wasn't arrested for DUI. There's simply no excuse for this. He's lucky he got off as easy as he did.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This might be the worst thread I've ever stumbled into. I pray a moderator realizes how far this has gone off the rails and shuts it down. It's disingenuous to those struggling, abrasive and opinionated. Alcoholism isn't a textbook definition it varies from person to person. It is a disease and it touches many many lives. Hiding behind a keyboard and giving your opinions on it give no credence either way and will solve nothing. I'm embarrassed for so many people in this thread and pray you never experience it first hand. I'm never the first to think rationally or post with a level head but reading this thread has been a real eye opener to just how ignorant people can be. Cheers, I will see my way out because there is nothing worthwhile coming from this. I wish Watson and his family the best and a great recovery for themselves and their family.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He
I don't even know who this guy is and I don't excuse what he did but good lord people acting like they are perfect angels that have never ****ed up a day in their life annoy me.
Got drunk, drove to a gas station and shoved his GF so hard he left Mark's and she had blood on her legs from falling.
That's not f***ing up, that should be jail time. Random Joe does that, and the cops get called he is going to jail. He is lucky he's a rich professional athlete.

I'm still pissed his suspension got dropped by like 40%. f*** him.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Wel

Legally, you cant blame assault on addiction. No psychiatrist or psychologist has been able to convince a judge in Canada or the USA that it wasn't their clients fault because of Alcohol.
So I'm gonna go with them.

If he just got drunk and drove to q gas station and got angry I'd be able to say that ducks get him in rehab.
But he hit someone, and caused visible bodily harm.
Lock him up
While it is extremely difficult to prove, that statement is not true; see R v Daviault [1994] 3 S.C.R. 63.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
While it is extremely difficult to prove, that statement is not true; see R v Daviault [1994] 3 S.C.R. 63.
Which judges have since broken with, and set up new president stating it was the wrong judgement. They teach it in law schools in Canada to show bad judgement made off incomplete exculpatory evidence.

Reactions: Shakey Rustie

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Wel

Legally, you cant blame assault on addiction. No psychiatrist or psychologist has been able to convince a judge in Canada or the USA that it wasn't their clients fault because of Alcohol.
So I'm gonna go with them.

If he just got drunk and drove to q gas station and got angry I'd be able to say that ducks get him in rehab.
But he hit someone, and caused visible bodily harm.
Lock him up

Did he actually hit someone? I’ve never seen that anywhere. Sounded like they were in a heated argument and he pushed her away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad