Austin Watson arrested for domestic assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean it does raise an eyebrow when you first read it, but coming from the admittedly intoxicated mother of his child and with no other context its almost impossible to know what or how she meant that. Still not much new information other than pretty much confirming that him trying to keep her IN the car is what led to the police being called. Would love to see the witnesses statement, what exactly did he/she see? Is there a way to see the full report, not just a report of someones impression of reading the report?
Unless it's been sealed, you should be able to obtain a copy of the police report and the court proceedings. Not sure how you go about that, but I know they are part of public record.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’ll just leave this here and basically back out of the discussion.

No one will ever make me feel bad about myself for refusing to take newspaper reporting, social media, etc. as proper sources for passing judgment upon a person. That’s not how this is supposed to work.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
I’ll just leave this here and basically back out of the discussion.

No one will ever make me feel bad about myself for refusing to take newspaper reporting, social media, etc. as proper sources for passing judgment upon a person. That’s not how this is supposed to work.

I can agree with that sentiment, at the end of the day almost all of the information we have about this story has been filtered through one reporters eyes. I don't say that to accuse her of anything, just pointing out that she has had more or less complete control of what we know and with what context. I would just like to see the report for myself to see if there is anything else in there or if the report in its entirety can provide more context as to what happened and what everyone's mood and emotional state was. I want to try and be objective about this as possible, and not either grandstand about how much I hate domestic violence or blindly protect one of my favorite players. I try to think what how I would react if this girl was my sister and the guy was a player on a team I really don't like. How would I feel if this was Nick Ritchie from the Ducks or Brandon Tanev from the Jets? Would I want them crucified and made an example of or would I be as patient as I seemingly am with Watson? In all those scenarios I end up at the same conclusion, I just don't have enough information to know for sure. There is enough there to be concerned and to want to know more, but I don't think there is enough there to completely write him off either.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Could be that she's trying to downplay past behaviors protect Watson's career. Total speculation on my part.
I can't read the article (I've "reached my max for free articles" blah blah blah). Does it say when she made that statement? Was it at the scene or was it some time in the days following? I'm not at all saying that your point isn't valid, I'm just curious because it's pretty well known that she wasn't terribly competent at the time of the incident.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well, if it's a league-ordered suspension and the organization doesn't do anything on their own I think that's a bad look and I'd be disappointed.

I'm not sure the org can do much more within the framework of the CBA. I mean, yeah they can waive him and if nobody claims him pay him his money and send him to Milwaukee but I think the org would be hard pressed to justify terminating his contract if the league suspends him for less than the length of his current deal. (And didn't he just extend for 3 years?)

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
I've changed my tune on the whole thing. If it's all true, he has to go. Our team will be worse off for it, but we can't keep him.

I don't mean to put you on the spot and completely understand if you wish to pass, but what made you change your mind? I am still a bit on the fence and am trying to do a bit of soul searching about it so would love to know what threw you one way or the other. So far I stop short of wanting him gone, but would understand if they did cut him.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The details currently floating around the public domain don't support that this stopped at the level of her getting drunk, in his face, and him pushing her back ... nor do they seem to indicate this is a Voynov type level of violence.

The courts had their say. The league will now get its turn and if the league does suspend him then the team is limited in what it can do subsequently.

If Watson remains a Pred, we need him to perform. I will support the logo on the chest and team colors but view him as nothing more than a cog in the machine.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I dunno I see every player as nothing more than a cog in the machine to begin with so that wouldn't change much.

Luckily the NHL will have access to every single detail so you won't have this filtering problem you can have with the new media at times.

I suspect it will be long enough for most people around the league to " ouch ", but will be short of him being completely barred. It will be stiff enough to show Voynov's camp as well that he isn't just going to walk back in and start playing hockey.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
I agree we do not know the whole story. But in these kind of circumstances I just have a hard time not thinking the „what if someone would do that to my baby sister (enter whatever you like daughter/grand-daughter)“ I wouldn‘t want to have to do anything with that guy. I wonder how his teammates think about the whole story.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There are players I actively cheer for ... hope they do well even after their time as Pred is done. Watson's actions have removed any emotional support for him.
I cheer for the team, once they leave here they are just another player in the league. All that matters to me is the logo on the front and as long as you are wearing that I'll cheer for you, otherwise I'll more than likely boo you :p

I mean yeah, I love to see an underdog do well, but I'm not emotionally tied to that individual in any way. I leave that my wife and her Rinne infatuation lol.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I still pull for Shea but that's about it. I'd like to see him have one last awesome season and get the Norris he got screwed out of when he was here..

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
The details currently floating around the public domain don't support that this stopped at the level of her getting drunk, in his face, and him pushing her back ... nor do they seem to indicate this is a Voynov type level of violence.

The courts had their say. The league will now get its turn and if the league does suspend him then the team is limited in what it can do subsequently.

If Watson remains a Pred, we need him to perform. I will support the logo on the chest and team colors but view him as nothing more than a cog in the machine.

I agree with that sentiment, he isn't "dead to me" but I am not sure I will never look at him in the same light. Maybe I am being very naive, but I am still holding out hope that this can turn into one of those something good came out of a bad situation type scenarios. If the Preds, Watson, his girlfriend and AMEND can all work together to help show how this has affected them in real ways, I think it would have a much bigger impact than a few commercials or billboards. Its pretty obvious from some of the responses in the thread that there is still a lot of mistrust and misunderstanding around domestic violence, use Watson as tool to combat that. Have him do commercials where he shows young men how they should behave in scenarios like what happened in this case. Show him talking to victims so those who are not aware can see what kind of toll it takes on victims and the their families.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
In all of their combined years of Congressional service Schroeder, Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer (retired), Murray proposed zero bills that would require women to sign for selective service and impose the same restrictions on things like federal financial aid that men face.

Schroeder did make sure to introduce legislation that divorce after ten years means half ... to include of retirement.
So? Washington never proposed a law to eliminate slavery. That's as relevant a statement as you made.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't mean to put you on the spot and completely understand if you wish to pass, but what made you change your mind? I am still a bit on the fence and am trying to do a bit of soul searching about it so would love to know what threw you one way or the other. So far I stop short of wanting him gone, but would understand if they did cut him.
Swatting at her which is probably just a swing and miss of some kind and, mainly, her having a bloody leg along with bruises on her chest. I don't know how much she instigated anything, but as someone said when this first came out, if it was a factor, he probably would've used that "excuse" with the cop, which he didn't. If someone proves she was basically attacking him in some way and he was restraining her..... maybe..... but basically I was waiting on more details, got them, and they were worse than I hoped for.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Swatting at her which is probably just a swing and miss of some kind and, mainly, her having a bloody leg along with bruises on her chest. I don't know how much she instigated anything, but as someone said when this first came out, if it was a factor, he probably would've used that "excuse" with the cop, which he didn't. If someone proves she was basically attacking him in some way and he was restraining her..... maybe..... but basically I was waiting on more details, got them, and they were worse than I hoped for.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, and sorry again for putting you on the spot like that. I agree that nothing that made Watson look any better came out in the latest piece, but several things that add to the growing pile of circumstantial evidence against him. I feel like I am sitting right on the tipping point of making the same change of tune that you did, just not quite there yet. Does anyone know if AMEND has released anymore statements? I would be interested to see what they thought about it, how would they treat Watson?

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am disappointed and sad. He worked his butt off to get back here after being demoted. Scored some great goals. And apparently, he was abusive to his significant other. He needs to be suspended and get some serious help. Not sure if terminating his contract is the way to help him stop hurting her or anyone else in the future. Not to mention, the Preds have helped other guys rehab their careers. (Tootoo, Mcgratten, Clune). Why wouldn't Watson deserve the same chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad