Austin Levi

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
2010 Third Round pick of Carolina from the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL.

I was wondering if anyone sees him on a regular basis and could tell me how he's been playing this year. A lot of Canes fans were upset about the pick at the draft.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Can anyone tell me about the season that Levi is currently having?

It seems that he has taken a step back this year offensively.

Anything at all. Strengths, weaknesses. Anything. Don't be shy. ;)

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Makes about 30 stupid decisions for every smart one. Average defensive player, below average on offense. His offensive numbers are down because he is taking less shots, which is definitely a good thing, since he is absolutely horrid and scoring and used to shoot from the blue line 15 times a game hoping he could score or get a deflection. I think he isn't that good and can't say he has had single moment that has "wow"d me in 4 years. This is probably his best season though (which isn't saying much) despite the numbers because he is stepping back and not trying to take over the game as much, he is more understanding of the role he should be playing. He used to take the puck toward the net way too often and then he would lose the puck and give up an odd man opportunity on defense because he was out of position. I say bottom line ahl guy is his future.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
Can anyone tell me about the season that Levi is currently having?

It seems that he has taken a step back this year offensively.

Anything at all. Strengths, weaknesses. Anything. Don't be shy. ;)

Strengths: Defense, shutdown, penalty kill; Excellent backwards and lateral mobility; reads plays well, high hockey IQ, takes away angles and passing lanes consistently; always paired against opposing team's top fowards for these reasons. Offensively responsible- he's picking his opportunities much more effectively this year than in any previous. Point production is lower by design - not due to any developmental deficiency. Currently ranks 3rd on the team in plus/minus (1st among defensemen); 11th in the entire league and 3rd among all defensemen in this category.

Weaknessses: Forward speed and accelleration are average; Plays with urgency, but this year hasn't always shown the edgy agression that can swing the momentum of games or draw penalties at key times. He did this more last year and the year before. I don't know if he's mellowing, or just playing smarter, but I'd like to see him show that nastier side I saw from him in his draft year a little more often - maybe we'll see it in the playoffs.

Botom Line: Don't look to Levi for a lot of points; he's never been in that role for Plymouth, and I doubt that will change as they head into the playoffs. You wouldn't count on him a shoot-out, but there aren't many Junior players better at the PK and shutdown.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Haha, well he is pretty smart in his own zone but no way I would say he's a smart player overall. Last game I went to (2 Saturdays ago or so) it was halfway though the third and he took a stupid penalty out of anger and then decided that wasn't enough an got an unsportsmanlike on top of that. I mean he was sent down from the AHL this year and the GM tried to shop him when they had 4 OAs and I guess no team wanted him.

CherryHill

Mar 3, 2013
Haha, well he is pretty smart in his own zone but no way I would say he's a smart player overall. Last game I went to (2 Saturdays ago or so) it was halfway though the third and he took a stupid penalty out of anger and then decided that wasn't enough an got an unsportsmanlike on top of that. I mean he was sent down from the AHL this year and the GM tried to shop him when they had 4 OAs and I guess no team wanted him.

You must have him confused with someone else. In his fifth year with the team, he's played more minutes than any other season and has the fewest penalty mins of any season in his career (38 so far this year). He hardly ever takes a penalty. He gets his share bs calls like anybody else, but you are way off base. You're entitled to your guess, but your so wrong it's not even worth explaining. What it would have taken for them to give up Levi considering their shallow depth at defense (injuries, etc) and shakiness in the net back at the deadline was a lot more than it took for them to give up other players. I think theyre GM and coaches probably are a lot smarter than you think.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

I can't comment on Levi the player, but the reason he was sent down from the AHL was because we had 8 defenseman playing at the start of the year (Sanguinetti, Faulk, Krueger, Rasmussen, Gragnani, Kvisto, Jordan and Bellemore).

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You must have him confused with someone else. In his fifth year with the team, he's played more minutes than any other season and has the fewest penalty mins of any season in his career (38 so far this year). He hardly ever takes a penalty. He gets his share bs calls like anybody else, but you are way off base. You're entitled to your guess, but your so wrong it's not even worth explaining. What it would have taken for them to give up Levi considering their shallow depth at defense (injuries, etc) and shakiness in the net back at the deadline was a lot more than it took for them to give up other players. I think theyre GM and coaches probably are a lot smarter than you think.

How would you rate Levi's strength as a prospect?

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
wingsfan17 may have just caught some bad games. Levi has always been pretty solid in the Plymouth games I've had the pleasure of watching the past few years.

Redwhiteandgreen's report is pretty spot on. Best case scenario I think he could he a solid bottom pairing NHL guy. Gotta see how he can transition to the AHL game next year. Regardless, it's gonna be a long road for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad