Value of: Austin Czarnik

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Wondering what his value is? Just passed through waivers, has 1.25m cap hit.

I still have not liked the move, and really thought a team would take him on. He was a solid middle 6 RWer when given the ice time. It was unfortunate that he got injured when he did.

It looks like Dube is taking over his spot.

Would anyone take Czarnik on? How much is he worth? I think Czarnik, with ice time (and maybe some PP2 time like he had in Calgary), would be a very good pickup for any team, including contending teams that can take on that cap hit. He's not meant for the AHL (currently a PPGer again).

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Considering every team had the opportunity to claim him and declined that would indicate his value is nothing.

If teams wanted him they would have claimed him. It's not like he has additional term on his deal putting people off, he clearly just wasn't valued as providing more than what other teams have for their 12-14th forward options.

I thought maybe Edmonton would grab him and waive Patrick Russell but clearly Czarnik wasn't viewed as an upgrade.

Ledge And Dairy

Considering every team had the opportunity to claim him and declined that would indicate his value is nothing.

If teams wanted him they would have claimed him. It's not like he has additional term on his deal putting people off, he clearly just wasn't valued as providing more than what other teams have for their 12-14th forward options.

I thought maybe Edmonton would grab him and waive Patrick Russell but clearly Czarnik wasn't viewed as an upgrade.
I think it has more to do with cap space and contract limit then straight up not wanting him. When players are put on waivers they aren't usually picked up because teams have to factor in "is the slight upgrade to the bottom six here really worth loosing our cap space over playing a league minimum contract and a potential trade problem towards the TDL with contract limits as well as potentially loosing him next year to UFA?"

Reactions: Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I think it has more to do with cap space and contract limit then straight up not wanting him.
Exactly. There have been times when players have passed through waivers and have then been included in a trade. If a team wants to take a chance on Czarnik they could throw a younger minor leaguer and a 6th or 7th for him.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Don't see why Flames would trade him now that he's passed through waivers. Also don't see why a team that could have gotten him for free is giving enough value to make the Flames want to trade him.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Not really. Czarnik suffered a high ankle sprain injury which takes time to fully recover from. Remember 20 teams were after his services last year and the Flames got him. My issue with the Flames is that they didn't put him in a position to succeed. Well, Bill Peters didn't at any rate. It may be a moot point now as he is competing with Mangiapane, Bennett, Dube, Backlund (normally a C) and Frolik for RW time. If the Flames can swing a trade or two (e.g. Frolik, Jankowski), Czarnik may very well have a future in Calgary.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'm surprised he passed. He looked great at the start of the year

Don't see any reason to trade him.

Last edited:

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
7th round pick or future considerations if CGY were to retain 50 percent on the contract.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
seems unlikely. he's the typical, produce in the ahl at a high level, but underwhelm at the nhl level
I guess he could look up to Paul Byron, who didnt get a chance to perform at the NHL level until he was 27. Both are 5'9, both were doing very well in the AHL before.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Czarnik was never really given a chance in Calgary as coaches pretty much used a revolving door at any of the line 2-4 RW positions by cycling in left shot left wings. Last season he got into 54 games up and down the line up and recorded 18 points. His Corsi For was 55%. Personally I saw him as another Andrew Mangiapane. If he had a chance to stay on a line with a good centre I think he would have prospered.

Unfortunately this year he was injured early. By the time he came back, the Flames were cap constrained and two LW's moved over to RW more or leass permanently (Tkachuk, Dube). This still leaves the 4RW spot open that is currently occupied by a cheaper player (Rieder). Rieder also kills penalties so there is no room at the Inn for Austin.

I am not sure if the Flames will try and re-sign him and the kid, being a newly wed, might want to see if he can sign and play with an NHL team where he can play.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Crazy that he scored goals in what are likely to be his last 2 NHL games with the Flames and then never got another shot

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad