Recalled/Assigned: Austin Czarnik back up..... now waived (upd: cleared) + Rinaldo sent down

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do you think by sending Czarnik down the Flames are making room for Phillips to come back up?

No. They already said Rinaldo will be coming back up if he clears.

The reason someone needed to be sent down was because they activated Bennett.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I've got a feeling Bergevin will claim Czarnik and put him in the line-up tonight.

That would be a classic Bergevin waiver claim.

A "reversed" Conroy trade!

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've got a feeling Bergevin will claim Czarnik and put him in the line-up tonight.

That would be a classic Bergevin waiver claim.

A "reversed" Conroy trade!

Also with the Habs claiming the just stole another player from Calgary. The amount of back patting for a role player in Byron and a depth Dman in Kulak is really impressive.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Also with the Habs claiming the just stole another player from Calgary. The amount of back patting for a role player in Byron and a depth Dman in Kulak is really impressive.

They were both great waiver pickups, but those happen.

Martin St-Louis not being offered a contract, however... ;) I think teams started to be more attentive to undersized, over 25 y old, offensively gifted players let go by Calgary since then more than anything.

Not saying Czarnik will be a St-Louis, but those kind of players can sometimes get nice careers with a team that give them more icetime/a better spot in the lineup because they have less depth at a position. Montreal is pretty weak on the RW at the moment. I could easily see him get ice-time on a 3rd line there in front of Weal/Barber.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Completely unsurprising to see Czarnik clear.

Player who's played only a few games this season coming off an injury with a career high of 18 points.
<GM puts them on waivers>

Fans:
giphy.gif

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Not really. It will take a long time before he is really up to speed and the club taking him would have to drop someone from their roster. I think if he spend a good part of the winter in Stockton, Czarny may end up being a reinforcement we need later in the year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Player who's played only a few games this season coming off an injury with a career high of 18 points.
<GM puts them on waivers>

Fans:
giphy.gif
More like why did a guy who was playing well get waived over a guy who hasn't contributed at all offensively and defensively this season

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After reviewing Czarnik's and Rinaldo's stats it all makes perfect sense as to why Czarnik is now playing in the minors and Rinaldo is with the Flames. Rinaldo will obviously be able to provide that extra scoring punch the Flames need in those close games. Plus there is the injury factor with Czarnik. He was obviously hampered by it in his 3 game conditioning stint with the Heat. :sarcasm:

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
More like why did a guy who was playing well get waived over a guy who hasn't contributed at all offensively and defensively this season

The Flames needed to clear one roster spot. Jankowski, Czarnik and Rinaldo all had no place in the current lineup.

There is no benefit to waiving Jankowski. There is a benefit to waiving Czarnik, who needs to get into some games. Neither player is a big concern if lost through a waiver claim. Very simple logic.

Rinaldo didn't get waived because he was already on waivers recently.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Because they want him actually playing games instead of rotating in and out as the 14th forward to get back up to speed.
Czarnik's 1 goal and 2 assists in his 3 game conditioning stint with the Heat seems to indicate to me that he was up to speed.
But I do agree with you that Czarnik would likely be a healthy scratch with the Flames as the current line combinations are playing well, and who do you take out to put Czarnik in?

Tonight's lineup vs Mtl:

FORWARDS
Matthew Tkachuk - Elias Lindholm - Andrew Mangiapane
Dillon Dube - Sean Monahan - Mikael Backlund
Milan Lucic - Derek Ryan - Johnny Gaudreau
Sam Bennett - Tobias Rieder - Michael Frolik

DEFENCE
Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic
Oliver Kylington - Rasmus Andersson

GOALTENDER
David Rittich

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Czarnik's 1 goal and 2 assists in his 3 game conditioning stint with the Heat seems to indicate to me that he was up to speed.
But I do agree with you that Czarnik would likely be a healthy scratch with the Flames as the current line combinations are playing well, and who do you take out to put Czarnik in?

I was literally paraphrasing Treliving in his interview yesterday. That's their justification. I don't know if I fully agree with it, but yeah I'd rather he be playing lots and ready when called up than riding the pine and not getting his legs under him.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Tonight's lineup vs Mtl:

FORWARDS
Matthew Tkachuk - Elias Lindholm - Andrew Mangiapane
Dillon Dube - Sean Monahan - Mikael Backlund
Milan Lucic - Derek Ryan - Johnny Gaudreau
Sam Bennett - Tobias Rieder - Michael Frolik

DEFENCE
Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic
Oliver Kylington - Rasmus Andersson

GOALTENDER
David Rittich
Czarnik will be a RW bubble boy until Frolik and/or Bennett or Mangiapane is moved. It is unfortunate, but the surplus of LW's with talent and the deficit of RW's will mean a LW will get slotted in at RW. And Czarnik will have to prove he can be better. Personally, I'd love to see the Flames give him a chance (when healthy) at 1RW or 2RW. They have to find out what they have before young Phillips jumps the queue in the depth chart.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Hoping Rino draws in sooner than later, could have definelty used his intensity the last few games. Him and Reider seem to have some decent chemistry as well.
I'm glad there are some tough roster choices though, and hopefully it will continue to bring some fire to our bottom six.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Tre may also be looking to enhance Czarnik's value on the trade market. Czarnik had very high numbers in the AHL and 20 teams were looking to sign him. The Flames have botched his usage in the NHL and so I'm thinking his market value may have dropped. If he lights it up again in the AHL, the Flames (and the league) will reaffirm his value. And hopefully this time they give the kid a good shot at RW.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Tre may also be looking to enhance Czarnik's value on the trade market. Czarnik had very high numbers in the AHL and 20 teams were looking to sign him. The Flames have botched his usage in the NHL and so I'm thinking his market value may have dropped. If he lights it up again in the AHL, the Flames (and the league) will reaffirm his value. And hopefully this time they give the kid a good shot at RW.

How do you figure that? His most common linemates over the last 2 seasons have been Backlund and Tkachuk. He’s gotten lots of opportunity to steal a spot.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How do you figure that? His most common linemates over the last 2 seasons have been Backlund and Tkachuk. He’s gotten lots of opportunity to steal a spot.

He is not a top 6 if that is the expectation.

I think people are complaining about his ice time which is somewhat valid but again, he never really took whatever opportunities and ran with it. He would had some good games then disappeared for stretches.

Czarnik is a fringe NHLer. That is expected. Same with Rinaldo, Quinne etc...they are good energy for a few games. That's about it. They are what they are.

It's a joke that people think Rinaldo can provide something to this team other than injury filled in. Ward playing him back to back showed either he is an idiot or this team has major depth issue.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames have a need for a top six RW. They, and others, didn't chase his services to be a 4th liner. I feel they haven't given him a chance at any of the top 9 RW positions. Peters ran a blend-o-matic that was really fair to the players. He also overplayed the top line and often the 4 lint would see the ice in the third. It is hard for a player trying to establish himself to do just that while getting bounced around. Same could be said for Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->